mounting Samsung D600 phone on USB

Dave Howorth-2
I'm trying to connect a Samsung D600 mobilephone via a USB cable and not
having much success.

First I set the phone's USB setting to Mass Storage, then plugged it in.
SUSE 9.3 saw it and offered to configure a new USB modem. I said no to
that. I checked the phone's setting and discovered its USB setting had
reverted back to USB Modem.

I set it back to Mass Storage again and played a bit, discovering that
it seems to go back to USB Modem every time it's turned off.

So one question is does anybody happen to know anything about how to
stop that or more likely, know an appropriate list I could ask that
question?

I reset it to Mass Storage and plugged it in again. The phone now won't
let me use its keyboard - it says 'USB now in use' - which may be good.

lsusb shows me a device:
  Bus 002 Device 009: ID 04e8:665c Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
but it hasn't been mounted. I'm not sure what to do next?

Thanks, Dave

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mounting Samsung D600 phone on USB

Dave Howorth-2
On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 20:33 -0400, Adam Vazquez wrote:
> On 8/12/06, Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm trying to connect a Samsung D600 mobilephone via a USB cable and not
> > having much success.

> Some phones talk to the host computer via a serial port. The cable,
> seen on some Nokias, is actually a serial to usb convertor.
>
> Check your software first and see if talks to a virtual comport.

Thanks Adam,

The problem, as often, was the block of wood inside my skull. After I
put a memory card in the phone, a mass storage device appears by magic
in SUSE!

Not quite sure yet why its internal memory doesn't appear to USB, or how
to move things from internal memory to card and vice-versa. So far I've
been able to move some songs to it but not extract any pictures from it.
Still, progress is being made.