mkisofs question

Istvan Gabor
Hello all:

I am backing up my stuff onto DVD and for this I want to create
ISO images.
I ran this mkisofs command in the directory I want to back up:
mkisofs -o ../bakup.iso -iso-level 1 -J -joliet-long -R -r ./

mkisofs gave an error messages that some joliet file names
are the same and quit.  As some of the file names are longer
than 101 characters and only differ in the last 1-3 characters it
seems possible that the 'joliet-part' of the names are the
same. Still I would like to have the joliet names too.
Can not mkisofs convert names like these to different names?

Thanks,
IG

Érje el az álláskeresőket munkaidőben! http://allas.origo.hu

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mkisofs question

Jan Engelhardt

>mkisofs gave an error messages that some joliet file names
>are the same and quit.  As some of the file names are longer
>than 101 characters and only differ in the last 1-3 characters it
>seems possible that the 'joliet-part' of the names are the
>same. Still I would like to have the joliet names too.
>Can not mkisofs convert names like these to different names?

Maximum filelength on Joliet is 64 IIRC. Like it or lump it.

Jan Engelhardt

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mkisofs question

Carl Spitzer-4
If the limit is 64 the solution is to make a tar or the files and
compress that with gz.  Then burn the tar.gz to cd or dvd.  I do this
with antique dos all the time.  Just be careful about the options to
preserve dates, times and permissions on compression and for restore.

CWSIV

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mkisofs question

Carl Spitzer-4
Oops forgot the example:

#!/bin/bash
mount /dev/hda1 /windows/c/
vDate=`date +20%y-%m-%d`
tar -zcvf Cdrive$vDate.tar.gz /windows/c
echo $vDate
umount windows/c/

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mkisofs question

stephan beal
On Thursday 10 August 2006 01:53, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
> Oops forgot the example:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> mount /dev/hda1 /windows/c/
> vDate=`date +20%y-%m-%d`
> tar -zcvf Cdrive$vDate.tar.gz /windows/c
> echo $vDate
> umount windows/c/

An optimization note:

Leave off the 'v' (verbose) option to tar to speed up your tar times.
Input/Output (in this case output to the console) is one of the slowest
things a computer can be forced to do. As an example of how this simple
flag can speed things up, try the following in a console expanded to
fill up your whole desktop:

cd /
find .

Now shrink that console down to, say 1/4 the size of your screen and do
it again:

cd /
find .

It will run a lot faster the second time because of the way output and
updating of the console window works. (It will also run faster because
the OS cached many of the file entries during the first run, but even
without that caching it will run faster in a smaller window.)

Now try:

cd /
find . > /dev/null

and you'll see that it runs a lot faster because output to /dev/null is
a lot faster than output to a console. The exact reasons for this are
detailed and technical, but essentially it's because the console window
has to update it's whole visible area when it outputs a new line to the
screen and the program which generates the output has to wait on the
console to do that. The amount of time is trivial for most purposes but
can indeed be non-trivial when running an app which generates a lot of
output to "standard out" (the console, unless you redirect the output
as we did in the last example).

The moral of the story is: don't use the 'v' flag to tar unless you
really need it, especially when doing a large tar (such as /windows/C).

PS: and use date +%Y for a 4-year date instead of date +20%y, which
isn't Y2100 compliant.

:)

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: mkisofs question

Istvan Gabor
> If the limit is 64 the solution is to make a tar or the
files and
> compress that with gz.  Then burn the tar.gz to cd or
dvd.  I do this
> with antique dos all the time.  Just be careful about
the options to
> preserve dates, times and permissions on compression and
for restore.

Thanks,

I also do this but I wanted another copy that is easily
browsable directly on the DVD.

Thanks again,
IG

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: mkisofs question

Istvan Gabor
> Maximum filelength on Joliet is 64 IIRC. Like it or lump
it.

I just tought that might be there an option for converting these
long identical filenames to something different (as it is done in
the case of the iso filenames).

IG

On Friday 11 August 2006 21:02, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> I also do this but I wanted another copy that is easily
> browsable directly on the DVD.

With konqueror you can browser .gz/.bz2 files directly. Note that bz2 is
a lot slower than gzip but also compresses much better on lots of types
of data. (For multimedia files and such, compression is pretty useless,
and a simple tar is much faster.)

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 21:02 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:

> > If the limit is 64 the solution is to make a tar or the
> files and
> > compress that with gz.  Then burn the tar.gz to cd or
> dvd.  I do this
> > with antique dos all the time.  Just be careful about
> the options to
> > preserve dates, times and permissions on compression and
> for restore.
>
> Thanks,
>
> I also do this but I wanted another copy that is easily
> browsable directly on the DVD.

While its more work in 9.x in 10.x Konqueror directly opens a targz as
if it were a directory and you can browse and copy files, directories
from there.
--

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]