missing KDE4 menus in systemsettings

Istvan Gabor-3
Hello:

I have installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 with KDE4.

I used wolfi323's Frameworks5 repo for installing KDE4 base and other
packages:

repositories/home%3A/wolfi323%3A/branches%3A/KDE%3A/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_15.0/

KDE4 works OK but in systemsettings there are many missing entries that
were
available in my previous openSUSE 13.1 KDE4 systemsettings. These are
the missing
menu entries:

Desktop Effects (in Workspace Appearance and Behavior)
Window Decorations (in Workspace Appearance and Behavior/Workspace
Appearance)
Window Behavior menu with its submenus (in Workspace Appearance menu)
Virtual Desktops (in Workspace Behavior menu)
Screen Edges (in Workspace Behavior menu)

I guess these become available if I install some packages but don't
know
which ones?

Thanks,

Istvan

Re: missing KDE4 menus in systemsettings

Luca Beltrame
In data mercoledì 28 novembre 2018 22:32:39 CET, Istvan Gabor ha scritto:

Hello ,

> I have installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 with KDE4.
> I used wolfi323's Frameworks5 repo for installing KDE4 base and other
> packages:

I'll let Wolfgang chime in for the specific details, but bear in mind that you
are running an unsupported configuration, which may break at any time and for
any reason (Plasma 4.x is not offered on Leap 15).

Any specific reason to use Plasma 4.x, which is not even supported upstream,
on Leap 15? (this is not a loaded question: I'm genuinely interested in
knowing which are the problems you find with Plasma 5).

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:13:29 +0100, Luca Beltrame wrote:

> In data mercoledì 28 novembre 2018 22:32:39 CET, Istvan Gabor ha
> scritto:
>
> Hello ,
>
>> I have installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 with KDE4.
>> I used wolfi323's Frameworks5 repo for installing KDE4 base and
>> other
>> packages:
>
> I'll let Wolfgang chime in for the specific details, but bear in mind
> that you
> are running an unsupported configuration, which may break at any time
> and for
> any reason (Plasma 4.x is not offered on Leap 15).

Thank for replying.

In the meantime I found kwin package kwin-4.11.22-lp150.45.15.x86_64
which install the menu entries related to window behavior and view.
I guess that's all I need.

> Any specific reason to use Plasma 4.x, which is not even supported
> upstream,
> on Leap 15? (this is not a loaded question: I'm genuinely interested
> in
> knowing which are the problems you find with Plasma 5).

Quite a few. I write it from memory:

- panel height cannot be set accurately, because it doesn't show pixel
height
- selecting specific date format is cumbersome
- custom date format cannot be added
- detailed classic start menu (kicker) is missing, only dumb one-layer
menus are shown
- still no manual panel hiding buttons
- most frequently used applications in start menu are readded, but in a
clumsy manner
   (explanation: it is a menu item on the top of the start menus which
you can open by
   moving the mouse up, then to the right, then down to select the
application icon.
   In KDE3 these are on top of the main menu entries, that is, you don't
have to change
   the direction of your handmove, therefore you can reach the
application icon much easier
   and faster, which is the goal of adding the shortcut icons.)
- missing screen saver and its settings (no screen locker)
- measurement system units: set to metric or imperial without selecting
any country
- applications help/about KDE doesn't show version number

These are I found during the configuration of the desktop. There would
be
probably many more if I started to use it.

The main reason, however, I cannot install plasma5 at all is that it
cannot coexist with
KDE3. KDE3 is my major desktop, guess why? Because it is still working
perfectly, 10 years
after it's become unsupported by KDE team. KDE4 I only need because I
use some
KDE4 applications, and occasionally login to KDE4 session.

If I install KDE4 and plasma5, plasma5 panel always appears, even in
KDE3 session,
and plasma5 takes over KDE3 session.

Istvan

Re: missing KDE4 menus in systemsettings

Felix Miata-3
Istvan Gabor composed on 2018-11-29 00:24 (UTC+0100):

> KDE4 I only need because I use some KDE4 applications,

Which ones?

> and occasionally login to KDE4 session.

Why?

Does TDE, instead of KDE3, suffer the same problems trying to coexist with Plasma 5?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 18:39:16 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Istvan Gabor composed on 2018-11-29 00:24 (UTC+0100):
>
>> KDE4 I only need because I use some KDE4 applications,
>
> Which ones?

mostly digikam, occasionally krusader, kde4 kuickshow.

>> and occasionally login to KDE4 session.
>
> Why?

Sometimes KDE app doesn't work in KDE3 as expected, I cannot recall
exactly, but I seem to remember that if I run kde4 krusader in kde3
it cannot enter kde4 root mode. I had also problems with kde4 kuickshow
in kde3 showing empty black windows only. openSUSE KDE3 has disabled
kuickshow long time ago and I always have to rebuild KDE3 packages
to build kde3 kuickshow and it works but sometimes distorts images when
rotates them after zooming.

> Does TDE, instead of KDE3, suffer the same problems trying to coexist
> with Plasma 5?

I haven't used TDE for a while. I had 14.0.4 previously but I prefer
openSUSE KDE3, because its removable media handling fits me better and
I had problems with special characters in simple text files.
And if I have to build a native KDE application I can do it in openSUSE
native KDE3 but I can't in .trinity, because they renamed a lot of
stuff.

I guess it would not interfere with plasma5 (or the opposite,  plasma5
wouldn't intefere with TDE), because, if I know correctly, plasma5 uses
a .kde dir for its settings (as kde3) but TDE uses .trinity for its
settings.
But I haven't tried it, I am no sure.

Thanks,

Istvan