migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Ludwig Nussel
Hi,

So with the new weblate in place it's time to start moving files away
from svn.o.o. For that purpose I went through the list of pot files
and created a task for every pot file (and it's translations) that I
think needs migration: https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/11334
Feel free to join the efforts by assigning a task to you. Some of the
tasks are easy, some require more effort.

AFAICS the following pot files (and translations) are no longer needed:

apparmorapplet.pot
   * package no longer exists
apparmor-parser.pot
   * upstream has their own mechnism
apparmor-utils.pot
   * upstream has their own mechnism
kde4-openSUSE.pot
   * from a patch kdelibs4, package doesn't seem to handle it though
opensuse-org-theme.pot
   * https://github.com/openSUSE/greeter-page
   * looks obsolete
xen-vm-install.pot
   * package no longer exists
pam-config.pot
   * obsolete according to package maintainer
pam_pwcheck.pot
   * obsolete according to package maintainer
pam_unix2.pot
   * obsolete according to package maintainer
krpmview.pot
   * package no longer exists
lxcc.pot
   * package exists but doesn't use this one
opensuseupdater-gnome.pot
   * package no longer exists
simple-ccsm-kde.pot
   * old kde stuff
susetranslations.pot
   * kde3 translations
SUSEgreeter.pot
   * package no longer exists
update-desktop-files-*.pot
   * Let's skip desktop file translations for now to see how far we
     get with upstream

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\
  V_/_  http://www.suse.com/
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Hi Ludwig,

You can include in this list the translations of the license:

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2015-11/msg00065.html

Regards,

Luiz

2016-03-30 12:12 GMT-03:00 Ludwig Nussel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> So with the new weblate in place it's time to start moving files away
> from svn.o.o. For that purpose I went through the list of pot files
> and created a task for every pot file (and it's translations) that I
> think needs migration: https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/11334
> Feel free to join the efforts by assigning a task to you. Some of the
> tasks are easy, some require more effort.
>
> AFAICS the following pot files (and translations) are no longer needed:
>
> apparmorapplet.pot
>   * package no longer exists
> apparmor-parser.pot
>   * upstream has their own mechnism
> apparmor-utils.pot
>   * upstream has their own mechnism
> kde4-openSUSE.pot
>   * from a patch kdelibs4, package doesn't seem to handle it though
> opensuse-org-theme.pot
>   * https://github.com/openSUSE/greeter-page
>   * looks obsolete
> xen-vm-install.pot
>   * package no longer exists
> pam-config.pot
>   * obsolete according to package maintainer
> pam_pwcheck.pot
>   * obsolete according to package maintainer
> pam_unix2.pot
>   * obsolete according to package maintainer
> krpmview.pot
>   * package no longer exists
> lxcc.pot
>   * package exists but doesn't use this one
> opensuseupdater-gnome.pot
>   * package no longer exists
> simple-ccsm-kde.pot
>   * old kde stuff
> susetranslations.pot
>   * kde3 translations
> SUSEgreeter.pot
>   * package no longer exists
> update-desktop-files-*.pot
>   * Let's skip desktop file translations for now to see how far we
>     get with upstream
>
> cu
> Ludwig
>
> --
>  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
>  //\
>  V_/_  http://www.suse.com/
> SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
> Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Ludwig Nussel
Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
> You can include in this list the translations of the license:
>
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2015-11/msg00065.html

Already in:
https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/skelcd-opensuse/

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\
  V_/_  http://www.suse.com/
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Alexander Melentev
Dear Ludwig,

please exclude patterns.pot as a separate item, this file in LCN is
obsolete now, current version is build as part of packages
translations. As the guy responsible for creating packages pot files
in trunk, I am very interested in proper migration of those. I could
assist with the task but it is impossible to assign anything to anyone
on the page you mentioned. So, let's try mail consult =) Will the
l10n.opensuse.org instance run the pot building scripts itself or
there is a need to run this externally?

--
Regards, Minton.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Ludwig Nussel
Alexander Melentev wrote:
> please exclude patterns.pot as a separate item, this file in LCN is
> obsolete now, current version is build as part of packages
> translations. As the guy responsible for creating packages pot files
> in trunk, I am very interested in proper migration of those. I could

Ah, wonderful!

> assist with the task but it is impossible to assign anything to anyone
> on the page you mentioned. So, let's try mail consult =)

Hmm, looks like redmine doesn't make things easy in that regard. I've
added you to the project. Is is possible now?

> Will the l10n.opensuse.org instance run the pot building scripts
> itself or there is a need to run this externally?

I'm not sure we want to run such things on l10n.opensuse.org
directly but we can find a place of course.
Where are those scripts running at the moment?
For weblate all we need is some git repo where pot and po files are
stored basically. So the minimal work needed would be to adjust the
scripts to work with git instead of svn.

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\
  V_/_  http://www.suse.com/
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Alexander Melentev
2016-03-31 11:39 GMT+03:00 Ludwig Nussel <[hidden email]>:
>> assist with the task but it is impossible to assign anything to anyone
>> on the page you mentioned. So, let's try mail consult =)
> Hmm, looks like redmine doesn't make things easy in that regard. I've
> added you to the project. Is is possible now?
Yes, looks possible.

> I'm not sure we want to run such things on l10n.opensuse.org
> directly but we can find a place of course.
> Where are those scripts running at the moment?
Well, scripts are stored in svn, but I run them manually on my laptop
and then merge and commit the resut to svn with another helper script.
Then, coolo was running his own scripts/casting spells/whatever to
build the translated descriptions out of po files, I am not aware of
what and how exactly, but it wasn't happening for some decent time
now. I was thinking about running those scripts on i18n.opensuse.org
instance several days before the information about killing
svn.opensuse.org arrived.


> For weblate all we need is some git repo where pot and po files are
> stored basically. So the minimal work needed would be to adjust the
> scripts to work with git instead of svn.
Are you saying that it will be enough to create openSUSE-packages repo
on github and push there? or a subrepo under openSUSE project? coolo
will also need to adapt his tools to this, I believe we all don't want
to end again in the situation where ready translations don't reach
distributions, like now.

Also, what about yast translations? For me it was the first and most
obvious candidate for migration.

--
Regards, Minton.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org

Ludwig Nussel
Alexander Melentev wrote:

> 2016-03-31 11:39 GMT+03:00 Ludwig Nussel <[hidden email]>:
>>> assist with the task but it is impossible to assign anything to anyone
>>> on the page you mentioned. So, let's try mail consult =)
>> Hmm, looks like redmine doesn't make things easy in that regard. I've
>> added you to the project. Is is possible now?
> Yes, looks possible.
>
>> I'm not sure we want to run such things on l10n.opensuse.org
>> directly but we can find a place of course.
>> Where are those scripts running at the moment?
> Well, scripts are stored in svn, but I run them manually on my laptop
> and then merge and commit the resut to svn with another helper script.
> Then, coolo was running his own scripts/casting spells/whatever to
> build the translated descriptions out of po files, I am not aware of
> what and how exactly, but it wasn't happening for some decent time
> now. I was thinking about running those scripts on i18n.opensuse.org
> instance several days before the information about killing
> svn.opensuse.org arrived.

Ah, ok. I see potential of automation there :-)
To have the translations merged into the product metadata this package
has to be updated AFAICS:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/package-translations

Should be easy to use an obs _service file to directly pull from git
once the data is migrated.

Btw, with the trend to build appstore style package management
front-ends the rpm description is no longer shown AFAIK. Appstream
metadata is used instead which is part of the package source.

>> For weblate all we need is some git repo where pot and po files are
>> stored basically. So the minimal work needed would be to adjust the
>> scripts to work with git instead of svn.
> Are you saying that it will be enough to create openSUSE-packages repo
> on github and push there? or a subrepo under openSUSE project?

Yes. Weblate will then hook into the repo and update the po files.

> [...]
> Also, what about yast translations? For me it was the first and most
> obvious candidate for migration.

I'll have to talk to Karl about that when he is back in the office.

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\
  V_/_  http://www.suse.com/
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]