man page

hensandpat@earthlink.net
How do i get to the man page

Re: man page

Pete Connolly
On 18/06/2009 11:15, John Heinen wrote:
> How do i get to the man page

You can just use 'man <command> ' at the shell prompt, e.g. for the lsof
man page:

man lsof

Some commands have multiple man pages, such as man itself:

peter@talshiar:/var/dsdr/NONeDIR/bckctrh062> man man
Man: find all matching manual pages
  * man (1)
    man (7)
    man (1p)
Man: What manual page do you want?
Man: 1

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pete

Re: man page

Per Jessen-2
Pete Connolly wrote:

> On 18/06/2009 11:15, John Heinen wrote:
>> How do i get to the man page
>>
> You can just use 'man <command> ' at the shell prompt, e.g. for the
> lsof man page:

Or for the less command-line inclined, just type in "#lsof" in
konqueror.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.7°C)

Re: man page

Pete Connolly

> Pete Connolly wrote:
>
> > On 18/06/2009 11:15, John Heinen wrote:
> >> How do i get to the man page
> >>
> > You can just use 'man <command> ' at the shell prompt, e.g. for the
> > lsof man page:
>
> Or for the less command-line inclined, just type in "#lsof" in
> konqueror.
>

> /Per

This is true.  I was hoping to keep the answer desktop neutral since I didn't
know if the user had KDE, Gnome or another window manager running.  I'd
actually forgotten about the #command option in konqueror, thanks for the
reminder.

Cheers

Pete

Re: man page

Adam Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 10:44 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Pete Connolly wrote:
> > On 18/06/2009 11:15, John Heinen wrote:
> >> How do i get to the man page
> > You can just use 'man <command> ' at the shell prompt, e.g. for the
> > lsof man page:
> Or for the less command-line inclined, just type in "#lsof" in
> konqueror.

In GNOME, just run "yelp", and enter the command in the search box.

Re: man page

James Knott
John Heinen wrote:
> How do i get to the man page

man man.  ;-)

Actually, there are a couple of ways.  You can open a terminal session
and use "man <subject>", for example, if you want to read about the ls
command you'd enter "man ls".  Another method, at least with the KDE
desktop is to press Alt-F2 to bring up a Run Command box and enter
#<subject>.  You can also use ##<subject> to get info.

Re: man page

Rajko M.

http://en.opensuse.org/Manual_Pages

--