list maintainer please get me off bounces list

list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Carl Spitzer-4
its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.

--
  _______          _______ _______      __
 / ____\ \        / / ____|_   _\ \    / /
 \_____|   \/  \/  |_____/|_____|   \/

|  \   /|\  ||   |\ /  |~~\ /~~\  /~~| //~~\
|   \ / | \ ||   | X   |__/|    ||   |( `--.
|__  |  |  \| \_/ / \  |  \ \__/  \__| \\__/

Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Andreas Jaeger-5
On Monday 17 August 2009 16:29:33 Carl Spitzer wrote:
> its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.

Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.

Looking at your email I see:
 From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>

If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto [hidden email],

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:33 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On Monday 17 August 2009 16:29:33 Carl Spitzer wrote:
> > its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.
> Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.

Ditto.  Working perfectly here.

Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Carl Spitzer-4
On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:33 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> On Monday 17 August 2009 16:29:33 Carl Spitzer wrote:
> > its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.
> >

> Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.
>
> Looking at your email I see:
>  From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>
>
> If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto [hidden email],

I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I contacted
the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.

So each of you is blaming the other.  All I know for sure is its no
filter on this machine creating this nonsense.
--
  _______          _______ _______      __
 / ____\ \        / / ____|_   _\ \    / /
 \_____|   \/  \/  |_____/|_____|   \/

|  \   /|\  ||   |\ /  |~~\ /~~\  /~~| //~~\
|   \ / | \ ||   | X   |__/|    ||   |( `--.
|__  |  |  \| \_/ / \  |  \ \__/  \__| \\__/

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 15:51:24 Carl Spitzer wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:33 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > On Monday 17 August 2009 16:29:33 Carl Spitzer wrote:
> > > its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.
> >
> > Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.
> >
> > Looking at your email I see:
> >  From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>
> >
> > If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto
> > [hidden email],
>
> I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I contacted
> the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
> addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.
>
> So each of you is blaming the other.  All I know for sure is its no
> filter on this machine creating this nonsense.
It works for everybody else - that's why I'm blaming ;)

But please bring *me* in contact with one of the maintainers of MyRealBox and
we can figure out together what's broken and how.

And if you really want to unsubscribe and it does not work for you, then ask
[hidden email], please.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

L A Walsh
Carl Spitzer wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:33 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> On Monday 17 August 2009 16:29:33 Carl Spitzer wrote:
>>> its munging all senders addresses into opensuse+bounces.
>>>
>> Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.
>>
>> Looking at your email I see:
>>  From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto [hidden email],
>>

> I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I contacted
> the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
> addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.
===
        The sender address is open suse-bounce because it intercepts
any emails that bounce back from deliver so it can keep track of emails
that don't go through.

        Is there a problem with that?

        When you hit reply, it will use the 'sender', not the 'envelope from'
field, and/or the 'From:' and/or the reply-to field.  The From is the default
on this list, and a reply to all will go to the actual user who sent the email,
not 'bounce', *and* the list.

        If, when you reply, your email get addressed to opensuse-bounce, then
it is your email software that is looking at the wrong field.  But the list
software is performing correctly.

> So each of you is blaming the other.  All I know for sure is its no
> filter on this machine creating this nonsense.

There is no nonsense.  The 'mail-hdr/envelop From field says 'bounce'
as that's where email goes if it bounces on delivery -- back to the
envelop addr.

Re: Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

David Bolt-5
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-

>Carl Spitzer wrote:

<Snip>

>>  I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I
>>contacted
>> the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
>> addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.

>       If, when you reply, your email get addressed to opensuse-bounce, then
>it is your email software that is looking at the wrong field.  But the list
>software is performing correctly.

I have a feeling that MyRealBox[0] is rewriting the From: header to
match the SMTP envelopes Mail From: rather than his software. Having a
quick look back through the messages to this list, I don't see any other
Evolution user that is having this problem, which tends to point to
something else. Since I haven't seen the same complaint made by users of
other mail software, that does point towards MyRealBox as the source of
the problem.

>>  So each of you is blaming the other.  All I know for sure is its no
>> filter on this machine creating this nonsense.
>

>There is no nonsense.  The 'mail-hdr/envelop From field says 'bounce'
>as that's where email goes if it bounces on delivery -- back to the
>envelop addr.

I don't think it is the software that's the issue, unless there's a bug
in version 2.4.0 which only affected him and not any of the other users
of that release.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |                   |

Re: Replying or mailhdr rewrite probs (was Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list)

L A Walsh
David Bolt wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-
>>       If, when you reply, your email get addressed to opensuse-bounce, then
>> it is your email software that is looking at the wrong field.  But the list
>> software is performing correctly.
>
> I have a feeling that MyRealBox is rewriting the From: header to
> match the SMTP envelopes Mail From: rather than his software. Having a
> quick look back through the messages to this list, I don't see any other
> Evolution user that is having this problem, which tends to point to
> something else. Since I haven't seen the same complaint made by users of
> other mail software, that does point towards MyRealBox as the source of
> the problem.

-----
        I think I missed where he said that his email client was
'evolution', but I only have the last 10MB of messages or so in my
local store.

        Also, how does he get his email?  'fetchmail'?  It does rewriting
as well -- it could be misconfigured as well...(?)

Linda

Re: Re: Replying or mailhdr rewrite probs (was Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list)

David Bolt-5
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-

>       I think I missed where he said that his email client was
>'evolution', but I only have the last 10MB of messages or so in my
>local store.

He didn't mention his e-mail client so I looked at his headers to see
what it was, and then looks to see if there was any others with the same
client. There are several others using various versions of Evolution,
although none of those have mentioned having the same issue. That's what
made me think it's something to do with MyRealBox.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |                   |
openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b | openSUSE 11.1 64b |
RISC OS 3.6       | RISC OS 3.11      | openSUSE 11.1 PPC |  TOS 4.02

Re: Re: Replying or mailhdr rewrite probs (was Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list)

Dave Howorth
David Bolt wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-
>
>>       I think I missed where he said that his email client was
>> 'evolution', but I only have the last 10MB of messages or so in my
>> local store.
>
> He didn't mention his e-mail client so I looked at his headers to see
> what it was, and then looks to see if there was any others with the same
> client. There are several others using various versions of Evolution,
> although none of those have mentioned having the same issue. That's what
> made me think it's something to do with MyRealBox.

Looking at the MyRealBox site, it appears they also offer webmail.
Perhaps Carl can see what that shows, to determine whether it's his mail
client or somewhere upstream.

Cheers, Dave

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:58 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 15:51:24 Carl Spitzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.
> > >
> > > Looking at your email I see:
> > >  From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>
> > >
> > > If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto
> > > [hidden email],
> >
> > I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I contacted
> > the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
> > addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.
> >
> > So each of you is blaming the other.  All I know for sure is its no
> > filter on this machine creating this nonsense.
>
> It works for everybody else - that's why I'm blaming ;)
>
> But please bring *me* in contact with one of the maintainers of MyRealBox and
> we can figure out together what's broken and how.

I was referring to resetting my settings by using an unsub then resub to
force changes.
That did not work.  It does work on Egroups.  This is really strange.

CWSIV

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 22:47 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Carl Spitzer wrote:
> >>>
> >> Carl, it does not as others said.  Something is wrong at your end.
> >>
> >> Looking at your email I see:
> >>  From: Carl Spitzer <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> If you want to unsubscribe, please mailto [hidden email],
> >>

> > I tried the unsub resub routine to reset it but no go.  Also I contacted
> > the maintainer of MyRealBox and they claim its not them converting the
> > addresses into the opensuse+bounces junk.
> ===
> The sender address is open suse-bounce because it intercepts
> any emails that bounce back from deliver so it can keep track of emails
> that don't go through.
>
> Is there a problem with that?
It gets munged on emails which make it to me on the myreal box address.

> When you hit reply, it will use the 'sender', not the 'envelope from'
> field, and/or the 'From:' and/or the reply-to field.  The From is the default
> on this list, and a reply to all will go to the actual user who sent the email,
> not 'bounce', *and* the list.
No it does not when I reply it does not show the real authors address that has been changed.

> If, when you reply, your email get addressed to opensuse-bounce, then
> it is your email software that is looking at the wrong field.  But the list
> software is performing correctly.

I am using Evolution under SuSE 10.0 and have no problems with other
lists and other emails like this one.  the problem is between the list
serve and MyRealBox.  I have spoken and written to the guy at Messaging
Archetects who runs MyRealBox and he says the changes are being done by
list serve.

the problem is when the bouncing stops the munging continues.

--
  _______          _______ _______      __
 / ____\ \        / / ____|_   _\ \    / /
 \_____|   \/  \/  |_____/|_____|   \/

|  \   /|\  ||   |\ /  |~~\ /~~\  /~~| //~~\
|   \ / | \ ||   | X   |__/|    ||   |( `--.
|__  |  |  \| \_/ / \  |  \ \__/  \__| \\__/

Re: Re: Replying or mailhdr rewrite probs (was Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list)

Carl Spitzer-9
On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 14:09 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

> David Bolt wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-
> >>       If, when you reply, your email get addressed to opensuse-bounce, then
> >> it is your email software that is looking at the wrong field.  But the list
> >> software is performing correctly.
> >
> > I have a feeling that MyRealBox is rewriting the From: header to
> > match the SMTP envelopes Mail From: rather than his software. Having a
> > quick look back through the messages to this list, I don't see any other
> > Evolution user that is having this problem, which tends to point to
> > something else. Since I haven't seen the same complaint made by users of
> > other mail software, that does point towards MyRealBox as the source of
> > the problem.
>
> -----
> I think I missed where he said that his email client was
> 'evolution', but I only have the last 10MB of messages or so in my
> local store.
>
> Also, how does he get his email?  'fetchmail'?  It does rewriting
> as well -- it could be misconfigured as well...(?)

I doubt its a mis configure as I have five other addresses and free
online pop3 providers and only MyRealBox is affected and only recently.
when I first set this up there was no problem like this.

CWSIV

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 02:35 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Linda Walsh wrote:-
>
> >       I think I missed where he said that his email client was
> >'evolution', but I only have the last 10MB of messages or so in my
> >local store.
>
> He didn't mention his e-mail client so I looked at his headers to see
> what it was, and then looks to see if there was any others with the same
> client. There are several others using various versions of Evolution,
> although none of those have mentioned having the same issue. That's what
> made me think it's something to do with MyRealBox.

Except I phoned the man in charge of MyRealBox and he says they just
pass things through after using M+ to scan for spam which works quite
well.  So once again its a setting relative to my other address at the
list serve.  Perhaps the settings can be examined.

CWSIV

Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Carl Spitzer-4
On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 09:23 -0400, opensuse
+bounces-93808-cwsiv=[hidden email]

When I reply to a message on myrealbox in place of the email authors
address I get the above.  so it makes the threat useless to follow and
no one is willing to really look at their settings and see where its
gone wrong on list serve or MyRealBox.  The reply is to the list with
control-L in evolution 2.4.0.

--
  _______          _______ _______      __
 / ____\ \        / / ____|_   _\ \    / /
 \_____|   \/  \/  |_____/|_____|   \/

|  \   /|\  ||   |\ /  |~~\ /~~\  /~~| //~~\
|   \ / | \ ||   | X   |__/|    ||   |( `--.
|__  |  |  \| \_/ / \  |  \ \__/  \__| \\__/

Re: Re: Replying or mailhdr rewrite probs (was Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list)

David Bolt-5
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Carl Spitzer wrote:-

<snip>

>Except I phoned the man in charge of MyRealBox and he says they just
>pass things through after using M+ to scan for spam which works quite
>well.  So once again its a setting relative to my other address at the
>list serve.  Perhaps the settings can be examined.

Try subscribing with another address and comparing the headers. You
don't have to post using the second address, and you could easily
un-subscribe after doing the test. That's possibly the only way you're
going to find out just where the issue is.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do that test myself as they
don't presently have a sign-up link, or not one that I've been able to
find.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |                   |
RISC OS 3.6       | RISC OS 3.11      | openSUSE 11.1 PPC | TOS 4.02

Re: Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Re: Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [08-21-09 21:26]:

> My recomendation? Change provider.

Yes, a long time ago, MyRealBox was a test mail server for Novell who
provided free accounts (limited number) and had infrequent announced
downtimes that the user was obliged to endure or go elsewhere.  But
Novell sold the service and it went downhill from there.  I used to set
people up with MyRealBox accounts so that when they changed ip service
providers they would not have to notify everyone of their new accounts.

This was before gmail and was pretty good, even had html access along
with pop/imap.  Since the sale I have transferred everyone to gmail as
the service provided by MyRealBox not really stinks.  It is not worth the
money even as a *free* service.

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Rajko M.
On Friday 21 August 2009 09:46:03 am Carl Spitzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 09:23 -0400, opensuse
> +bounces-93808-cwsiv=[hidden email]
>
> When I reply to a message on myrealbox in place of the email authors
> address I get the above.  so it makes the threat useless to follow and
> no one is willing to really look at their settings and see where its
> gone wrong on list serve or MyRealBox.  The reply is to the list with
> control-L in evolution 2.4.0.

<snip oversized signature>

Carl,

that is "Return-Path:" field and here it is like this:
<opensuse+bounces-94105-rmatov101=[hidden email]>

Most probably you have to look in Evolution settings.
You have set Reply-To, others don't.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/

Re: Re: list maintainer please get me off bounces list

Henne Vogelsang-2

Carl Spitzer wrote:

> no one is willing to really look at their settings

As i and dozens of others have already told you: This is not a problem
with the list. Its either your email provider rewriting the From header
or your mail app.

Henne

--
http://opensuse.org