libproxy error after dup

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libproxy error after dup

Matthias Brugger SUSE
Hi all,

I (distribution) updated today my openSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm not able
to log into the graphical interface.

Last message I see is "[OK] Sttarted Locale Service" screen flickers a
few times and then freezes.

I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
something didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my
self with the next error:
zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
_ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb

Any idea how to debug and fix this?

Thanks,
Matthias
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Andreas Schwab-2
On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
> didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
> next error:
> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb

That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Brüns, Stefan
On Monday, November 27, 2017 12:48:05 PM CET Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
> > didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
> > next error:
> > zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
> > _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char
> > _traitslcESaIcEEEb
> That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
> c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.

If the symbol line has as many typos as the other parts of the mail (librpoxy
...) this is to be expected.

Regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
In reply to this post by Matthias Brugger SUSE
On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 12:31 +0100, Matthias Brugger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I (distribution) updated today my openSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm not
> able
> to log into the graphical interface.
>
> Last message I see is "[OK] Sttarted Locale Service" screen flickers
> a
> few times and then freezes.
>
> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
> something didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found
> my
> self with the next error:
> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined
> symbol:
> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt1
> 1char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>
> Any idea how to debug and fix this?
Can you please give information about what versions libproxy/libmodan
you have installed?

> rpm -q libproxy1 libmodman1

Cheers
Dominique

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Jan Engelhardt-4
In reply to this post by Andreas Schwab-2
On Monday 2017-11-27 12:48, Andreas Schwab wrote:

>On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
>> didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
>> next error:
>> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>
>That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
>c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.

The symbol and filenames were not properly transcribed into the email.
(Or when did you have a "rpoxy.so" in the system?)

-_ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
+_ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEEEEvT_b

Given this is a template, it is conceivable that libmodman changed from
explicitly instantiating the template to implicit instantiation with
the definition being inlined, i.e. the function moved to a .h file)

modman shouldn't have done that without bumping the SONUM.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Matthias Brugger SUSE
In reply to this post by Andreas Schwab-2


On 11/27/2017 12:48 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
>> didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
>> next error:
>> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>
> That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
> c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.
>

I cloned librpoxy [1] to rebuild the package.
I'm still getting the same error after installing with
rpm -i --nosignature libproxy1-0.4.15-167.1.x86_64.rpm

But I still see the same error.

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:mbrugger:branches:GNOME:Factory/libproxy
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
In reply to this post by Jan Engelhardt-4
On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 14:22 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Monday 2017-11-27 12:48, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>
> > On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
> > > something
> > > didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self
> > > with the
> > > next error:
> > > zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined
> > > symbol:
> > > _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringI
> > > cSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
> >
> > That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't
> > recognized by
> > c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.
>
> The symbol and filenames were not properly transcribed into the
> email.
> (Or when did you have a "rpoxy.so" in the system?)
>
> -_ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt
> 11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
> +_ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt
> 11char_traitsIcESaIcEEEEEvT_b
>
> Given this is a template, it is conceivable that libmodman changed
> from
> explicitly instantiating the template to implicit instantiation with
> the definition being inlined, i.e. the function moved to a .h file)
>
> modman shouldn't have done that without bumping the SONUM.
THere were no changes to libmodman since 2014

The last rebuild of libmodman was on Jul 17 2017

Libproxy was last rebuilt on 13 Sep 2017

Now somebody explain how this could possibly have gone 'broken' in
yesterday's snapshot? The binaries of neither libproxy1 nor libmodman1
have been replaced in > 2 months.

Cheers
Dominique

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Andreas Schwab-2
In reply to this post by Matthias Brugger SUSE
On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/27/2017 12:48 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
>>> didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
>>> next error:
>>> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
>>> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>>
>> That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
>> c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.
>>
>
> I cloned librpoxy [1] to rebuild the package.
> I'm still getting the same error after installing with
> rpm -i --nosignature libproxy1-0.4.15-167.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> But I still see the same error.

I cannot reproduce that with a current factory.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Andreas Schwab-2
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Nov 27 2017, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now somebody explain how this could possibly have gone 'broken' in
> yesterday's snapshot? The binaries of neither libproxy1 nor libmodman1
> have been replaced in > 2 months.

Now it looks more likely like a disk corruption.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Monday 2017-11-27 14:52, Andreas Schwab wrote:

>On Nov 27 2017, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now somebody explain how this could possibly have gone 'broken' in
>> yesterday's snapshot? The binaries of neither libproxy1 nor libmodman1
>> have been replaced in > 2 months.
>
>Now it looks more likely like a disk corruption.

Apart from a totally messed-up environment (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH
pointing to some very obscure copy of libmodman), I'd concur.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Matthias Brugger SUSE
In reply to this post by Andreas Schwab-2


On 11/27/2017 02:48 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/27/2017 12:48 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>>> On Nov 27 2017, Matthias Brugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case something
>>>> didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my self with the
>>>> next error:
>>>> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
>>>> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>>>
>>> That doesn't appear to be a valid mangled symbol, it isn't recognized by
>>> c++filt.  Probably libproxy needs to be rebuilt.
>>>
>>
>> I cloned librpoxy [1] to rebuild the package.
>> I'm still getting the same error after installing with
>> rpm -i --nosignature libproxy1-0.4.15-167.1.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> But I still see the same error.
>
> I cannot reproduce that with a current factory.
>

I was able to resurrect the system with the latest Tumbleweed on an USB
stick and the repair option. Thanks for the help!

Matthias
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Carl Symons
In reply to this post by Matthias Brugger SUSE
On 11/27/2017 03:31 AM, Matthias Brugger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I (distribution) updated today my openSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm not able
> to log into the graphical interface.
>
> Last message I see is "[OK] Sttarted Locale Service" screen flickers a
> few times and then freezes.
>
> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
> something didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my
> self with the next error:
> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>
>
> Any idea how to debug and fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

Good that you've resolved this. For others who may have the issue (as I did)

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/521178-zypper-symbol-lookup-error-usr-lib64-libproxy-so-1-undefined-symbol

installed
libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9.x86_64.rpm
from the TW repository

zypper won't work so
sudo rpm -Uvh --force ./libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9.x86_64.rpm

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Cristian Rodríguez-2


El 27-11-2017 a las 15:10, Carl Symons escribió:

> On 11/27/2017 03:31 AM, Matthias Brugger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I (distribution) updated today my openSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm not able
>> to log into the graphical interface.
>>
>> Last message I see is "[OK] Sttarted Locale Service" screen flickers a
>> few times and then freezes.
>>
>> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
>> something didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my
>> self with the next error:
>> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>>
>>
>> Any idea how to debug and fix this?

This is a bug anyway at it should be fixed.. either libproxy has to
%require_ge the same libmodman used for build or libmodman has to
support symbol visbility.. otherwise it will happen again and again.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Cristian Rodríguez-2


El 27-11-2017 a las 15:46, Cristian Rodríguez escribió:

> This is a bug anyway at it should be fixed.. either libproxy has to
> %require_ge the same libmodman used for build or libmodman has to
> support symbol visbility.. otherwise it will happen again and again.

Braino..I mean symbol versioning..
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Monday 2017-11-27 19:49, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> El 27-11-2017 a las 15:46, Cristian Rodríguez escribió:
>
>> This is a bug anyway at it should be fixed.. either libproxy has to
>> %require_ge the same libmodman used for build or libmodman has to support
>> symbol visbility.. otherwise it will happen again and again.
>
> Braino..I mean symbol versioning..

GNOME has a similar problem (bugzilla.opensuse.org/903974 was once
opened) and never bothered fixing, so I doubt it will be any different
for modman.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Andreas Schwab-2
On Nov 27 2017, Jan Engelhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GNOME has a similar problem (bugzilla.opensuse.org/903974 was once
> opened) and never bothered fixing, so I doubt it will be any different
> for modman.

It has to be admitted, though, doing proper symbol versioning is easy to
get wrong, especially in C++.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Cristian Rodríguez-2
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Andreas Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 27 2017, Jan Engelhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> GNOME has a similar problem (bugzilla.opensuse.org/903974 was once
>> opened) and never bothered fixing, so I doubt it will be any different
>> for modman.
>
> It has to be admitted, though, doing proper symbol versioning is easy to
> get wrong, especially in C++.
>
> Andreas.

On this case, current git of libproxy contains a bundled copy of
libmodman.it is actually pretty small, one header and once source
file.. and could be used instead on this particular case so it doesn't
break the package manager once again..
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 09:22 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Andreas Schwab <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Nov 27 2017, Jan Engelhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > GNOME has a similar problem (bugzilla.opensuse.org/903974 was
> > > once
> > > opened) and never bothered fixing, so I doubt it will be any
> > > different
> > > for modman.
> >
> > It has to be admitted, though, doing proper symbol versioning is
> > easy to
> > get wrong, especially in C++.
> >
> > Andreas.
>
> On this case, current git of libproxy contains a bundled copy of
> libmodman.it is actually pretty small, one header and once source
> file.. and could be used instead on this particular case so it
> doesn't
> break the package manager once again..
Guys, still nobody managed to actually pinpoint what was wrong: neither
of the RPMs has had a rebuild for > 2 months.

The 'fix' was even to reinstall the same version of the same package.
So there was defintively no rebuild needed.

Can we please stop 'guessing' and get to the point where we are being
constructive again? It's tiresome to read the same over and over by
different people that did not take the time to read the rest of the
thread and understand the issue at hand first.

Thanks
Dominique

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Werner Flamme
In reply to this post by Matthias Brugger SUSE
Matthias Brugger [27.11.2017 12:31]:

> Hi all,
>
> I (distribution) updated today my openSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm not able
> to log into the graphical interface.
>
> Last message I see is "[OK] Sttarted Locale Service" screen flickers a
> few times and then freezes.
>
> I tried to do another zypper dup from the command line, in case
> something didn't get updated correctly, but to my supprise I found my
> self with the next error:
> zypper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/librpoxy.so.1: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9libmodman14module_manager8load_dirENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitslcESaIcEEEb
>
> Any idea how to debug and fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias
>
A command like "grep libmodman /var/log/zypp/history" should show, which
version of libmodman has been installed on your host, when that was and
from which repository it comes. Just like "rpm -qi libmodman1", just
more compressed. For libproxy, change the package name.

If the repo it comes from is not the distro repo, try a "zypper se -s
libmodman" to see all available versions and do something like "zypper
in -f libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9" to reinstall it. If you already have a
newer version, use "zypper in --oldpackage libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9". Or
whatever the current version is...

Just my 2¢
Werner

--



smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libproxy error after dup

Carl Symons
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On 11/28/2017 04:35 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 09:22 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Andreas Schwab <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> On Nov 27 2017, Jan Engelhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> GNOME has a similar problem (bugzilla.opensuse.org/903974 was
>>>> once
>>>> opened) and never bothered fixing, so I doubt it will be any
>>>> different
>>>> for modman.
>>>
>>> It has to be admitted, though, doing proper symbol versioning is
>>> easy to
>>> get wrong, especially in C++.
>>>
>>> Andreas.
>>
>> On this case, current git of libproxy contains a bundled copy of
>> libmodman.it is actually pretty small, one header and once source
>> file.. and could be used instead on this particular case so it
>> doesn't
>> break the package manager once again..
>
> Guys, still nobody managed to actually pinpoint what was wrong: neither
> of the RPMs has had a rebuild for > 2 months.
>
> The 'fix' was even to reinstall the same version of the same package.
> So there was defintively no rebuild needed.
>
> Can we please stop 'guessing' and get to the point where we are being
> constructive again? It's tiresome to read the same over and over by
> different people that did not take the time to read the rest of the
> thread and understand the issue at hand first.
>
> Thanks
> Dominique
>
My message was not a guess.
-------------------------
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/521178-zypper-symbol-lookup-error-usr-lib64-libproxy-so-1-undefined-symbol

installed
libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9.x86_64.rpm
from the TW repository

zypper won't work so
sudo rpm -Uvh --force ./libmodman1-2.0.1-17.9.x86_64.rpm
-------------------------

The problem raised at forums.opensuse came from someone who had Current
and Tumbleweed enabled repositories. The Current repository brought in a
higher-numbered, incompatible version of libmodman.

In my case, somehow a LEAP 42.3 repository was enabled. (I have no idea
how that happened. Probably part of a ymp and I wasn't giving adequate
attention to the install.)

I downloaded the correct version and installed it with rpm.

Then I disabled (it worked) and eventually removed the LEAP 42.3
repository after some research. Something could have been done with
priorities and locks, but it wasn't necessary.


That there were several people with the same issue makes me think that
others had something similar to the forum OP and myself.

If this is so, then I don't know how to solve _that_ problem. I don't
think that it's possible to add a repository unwittingly. And even if I
had known that the LEAP 42.3 repository was being added, I'm not sure
that I would (or even know how to) ensure that there were no such conflicts.

Whatever the cause, the issue I encountered was operator error, not any
of the internal repository issues mentioned.



signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
12