leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Per Jessen
I saw this today when installing a xen guest - I have no idea what it
means:

Error - Settings

The system might not be able to boot:

*  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
partition id bios_boot

I was able to just say 'yes continue', but I was just wondering what it
means and if I have to live with this question from now on?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.3°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Thursday 2018-02-01 20:16, Per Jessen wrote:

>I saw this today when installing a xen guest - I have no idea what it
>means:
>
>Error - Settings
>
>The system might not be able to boot:
>
>*  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
>partition id bios_boot
>

>I was able to just say 'yes continue', but I was just wondering what it
>means and if I have to live with this question from now on?

A partition of type 1 ("BIOS boot") within a GPT partition table,
for the sole purpose of non-EFI boot support.

Re: leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-02-01 20:19, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Thursday 2018-02-01 20:16, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> I saw this today when installing a xen guest - I have no idea what it
>> means:
>>
>> Error - Settings
>>
>> The system might not be able to boot:
>>
>> *  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
>> partition id bios_boot
>>

>> I was able to just say 'yes continue', but I was just wondering what it
>> means and if I have to live with this question from now on?
>
> A partition of type 1 ("BIOS boot") within a GPT partition table,
> for the sole purpose of non-EFI boot support.

Yes, but IIRC, it is only actually needed if grub2 is installed in the MBR. If the MBR has a generic
boot code (Syslinux GPTMBR) then it is not used.

                (from oS 42.3 "Malachite" (rescate 1))

Re: leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Neil Rickert
On 02/01/2018 01:16 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

> The system might not be able to boot:
>
> *  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
> partition id bios_boot

As others have said, it is possibly needed with GPT partitioning, when
grub is installed in the MBR.  It is not needed on EFI boxes.

Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to force
it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start the
install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.

If you install grub2 in the root partition or in "/boot", then I don't
think this happens.  But you might not be able to install grub in a
partition if the file system doesn't support that.

Using GPT partitioning on a non-EFI box, you can just create a bios_boot
partition.  I use "gdisk" for that.  I set it to use 1-sector alignment.
 That allows me to tell it to add that partition between sectors 34 and
2047.  That space is otherwise unused.

On 2018-02-02 04:03, Neil Rickert wrote:

> On 02/01/2018 01:16 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> The system might not be able to boot:
>>
>> *  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
>> partition id bios_boot
>
> As others have said, it is possibly needed with GPT partitioning, when
> grub is installed in the MBR.  It is not needed on EFI boxes.
>
> Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to force
> it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start the
> install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
> partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.
>
> If you install grub2 in the root partition or in "/boot", then I don't
> think this happens.  But you might not be able to install grub in a
> partition if the file system doesn't support that.

Even if not installing grub on the MBR, YaST may insist on creating that BIOS partition if there are
GPT partitions around. I was surprised yesterday when installing 42.3 YaST on one disk with
traditional partitioning, YaST insisted on creating the BIOS partition on another disk that had free
space and a GPT partition. I had to go in expert mode with no proposal to be able to get rid of it.

That is, it seems some code in YaST wants to create that BIOS partition even when not strictly needed.

Neil Rickert wrote:

> On 02/01/2018 01:16 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> The system might not be able to boot:
>>
>> *  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
>> partition id bios_boot
>
> As others have said, it is possibly needed with GPT partitioning, when
> grub is installed in the MBR.  It is not needed on EFI boxes.
>
> Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to
> force it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start
> the install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
> partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.

Right - I was just about to check if Leap had defaulted to a GPT table.
Thanks.

> If you install grub2 in the root partition or in "/boot", then I don't
> think this happens.  But you might not be able to install grub in a
> partition if the file system doesn't support that.

It's a xen guest.

> Using GPT partitioning on a non-EFI box, you can just create a
> bios_boot partition.  I use "gdisk" for that.  I set it to use
> 1-sector alignment.  That allows me to tell it to add that partition
> between sectors 34 and 2047.  That space is otherwise unused.

I guess this is a situation I have yet to encounter, booting from a disk
with GPT table - is that bios_boot partition used for anything?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.2°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Neil Rickert wrote:

> Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to
> force it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start
> the install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
> partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.

Just fyi, the partition table can be changed from within YaST too.  I
might very well just use fdisk too though :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.4°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Andrei Borzenkov

Отправлено с iPhone

> I guess this is a situation I have yet to encounter, booting from a disk
> with GPT table - is that bios_boot partition used for anything?

It used to store GRUB2 MBR-gap code (as MBR gap does not exist on GPR).

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Отправлено с iPhone
>

>> I guess this is a situation I have yet to encounter, booting from a
>> disk with GPT table - is that bios_boot partition used for anything?
>
> It used to store GRUB2 MBR-gap code (as MBR gap does not exist on
> GPR).

Thanks Andrei.  Again I've learned something.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: leap15 beta - Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and partition id bios_boot

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
On 02/02/2018 04:46 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-02-02 04:03, Neil Rickert wrote:
>> On 02/01/2018 01:16 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>>> The system might not be able to boot:
>>>
>>> *  Missing device with size equal or bigger than 256 KiB and
>>> partition id bios_boot
>>
>> As others have said, it is possibly needed with GPT partitioning, when
>> grub is installed in the MBR.  It is not needed on EFI boxes.
>>
>> Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to force
>> it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start the
>> install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
>> partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.
>>
>> If you install grub2 in the root partition or in "/boot", then I don't
>> think this happens.  But you might not be able to install grub in a
>> partition if the file system doesn't support that.
>
> Even if not installing grub on the MBR, YaST may insist on creating that BIOS partition if there are
> GPT partitions around. I was surprised yesterday when installing 42.3 YaST on one disk with
> traditional partitioning, YaST insisted on creating the BIOS partition on another disk that had free
> space and a GPT partition. I had to go in expert mode with no proposal to be able to get rid of it.

JFYI, the code the calculate the needed partitions for booting is
completely different in 42.3 and in 15. The new one should not do things
like proposing the BIOS boot in a disk that is actually not going to be
used by the system (although it's impossible for YaST to know from which
disk the system will be configured to run, so in both versions there are
some actions based on wild assumptions).

The checks and partitions suggested by Leap15 are still not set in
stone. They will be adjusted during beta phase. So if somebody believes
YaST suggested something that was wrong or overkill for his/her
situation and can explain why, bug reports are very welcome.

So far, this "logic" is always honored:
https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/blob/master/doc/boot-requirements.md

Thanks
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

On 2018-02-02 08:51, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

> On 02/02/2018 04:46 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> As others have said, it is possibly needed with GPT partitioning, when
>>> grub is installed in the MBR.  It is not needed on EFI boxes.
>>>
>>> Leap 15 is using GPT partitioning on a clean disk.  If you want to force
>>> it to use legacy partitioning, then use "fdisk" before you start the
>>> install, and be sure to do a "w" in "fdisk" (even without creating
>>> partitions).  Then you will get legacy partitioning.
>>>
>>> If you install grub2 in the root partition or in "/boot", then I don't
>>> think this happens.  But you might not be able to install grub in a
>>> partition if the file system doesn't support that.
>>
>> Even if not installing grub on the MBR, YaST may insist on creating that BIOS partition if there are
>> GPT partitions around. I was surprised yesterday when installing 42.3 YaST on one disk with
>> traditional partitioning, YaST insisted on creating the BIOS partition on another disk that had free
>> space and a GPT partition. I had to go in expert mode with no proposal to be able to get rid of it.
>
> JFYI, the code the calculate the needed partitions for booting is
> completely different in 42.3 and in 15. The new one should not do things
> like proposing the BIOS boot in a disk that is actually not going to be
> used by the system (although it's impossible for YaST to know from which
> disk the system will be configured to run, so in both versions there are
> some actions based on wild assumptions).

That's good news :-)

> The checks and partitions suggested by Leap15 are still not set in
> stone. They will be adjusted during beta phase. So if somebody believes
> YaST suggested something that was wrong or overkill for his/her
> situation and can explain why, bug reports are very welcome.
>
> So far, this "logic" is always honored:
> https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/blob/master/doc/boot-requirements.md

That's an interesting link.

On Friday 2018-02-02 13:17, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> The checks and partitions suggested by Leap15 are still not set in
>> stone. They will be adjusted during beta phase. So if somebody believes
>> YaST suggested something that was wrong or overkill for his/her
>> situation and can explain why, bug reports are very welcome.
>>
>> So far, this "logic" is always honored:
>> https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/blob/master/doc/boot-requirements.md
>
>That's an interesting link.

What grub (and so also yast-storage) seems to forget is that, in
contemporary practice, because fdisk creates p1 no lower than LBA 2048,
there is also a (rather large) MBR gap in GPT, making the extra grub
partition sort of unnecessary...

On 02/02/2018 06:51 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> What grub (and so also yast-storage) seems to forget is that, in
> contemporary practice, because fdisk creates p1 no lower than LBA 2048,
> there is also a (rather large) MBR gap in GPT, making the extra grub
> partition sort of unnecessary...

You cannot count on that.  The specification allows putting a partition
in that gap.  And "gdisk" allows you to create a partition starting at
sector 34.  That's where I have been putting the bios_boot partition
when needed.