latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
hi,

today i updated evolution and libwebkit2gtk for tumbleweed from http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss.

to my surprise evolution did not start any more after this update.

when starting evolution from bash i found out why:

evolution: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: undefined symbol:
_ZThn16_N9Inspector21InspectorRuntimeAgent36getRuntimeTypesForVariablesAtOffsetsERN3WTF6StringERKNS1_8JSONImpl5ArrayERNS
1_6RefPtrINS_8Protoco
l5ArrayINS9_7Runtime15TypeDescriptionEEEEE

WTF?

i managed to download package libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.x86_64.rpm from a leap repository.
now evolution starts again.

so there is a unresolved dependency/bug regarding evolution and latest libwebkit2gtk.

--
Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales
DI Rainer Klier
Research & Development, DevOps
Namirial GmbH
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 10:08 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> hi,
>
> today i updated evolution and libwebkit2gtk for tumbleweed from http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss.

How? Using zypper dup?

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 11:16 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 10:08 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > today i updated evolution and libwebkit2gtk for tumbleweed from http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss.
>
> How? Using zypper dup?

no.

i opened yast and selected both (evolution and libwebkit2gtk) for update.
both were updated from the same tumbleweed repo.
evolution to version 3.26.3-1.1, and libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 to version 2.18.4-1.1

no conflict or dependency error was shown.
everything was "green" and ok, even after check in yast for any problems.
so i continued to install the updates.
--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH


 



N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op maandag 8 januari 2018 11:34:53 CET schreef Rainer Klier:

> Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 11:16 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
> DimStar:
> > On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 10:08 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> >
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > today i updated evolution and libwebkit2gtk for tumbleweed from
> > > http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss.
>
> >
> > How? Using zypper dup?
>
>
> no.
>
> i opened yast and selected both (evolution and libwebkit2gtk) for update.
> both were updated from the same tumbleweed repo.
> evolution to version 3.26.3-1.1, and libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 to version
> 2.18.4-1.1
 
> no conflict or dependency error was shown.
> everything was "green" and ok, even after check in yast for any problems.
> so i continued to install the updates.
> --
>
and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'. Nothing
else.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:

> Op maandag 8 januari 2018 11:34:53 CET schreef Rainer Klier:
> > Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 11:16 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
> > DimStar:
> > >
> > > How? Using zypper dup?
> >
> >
> > no.
> >
> > i opened yast and selected both (evolution and libwebkit2gtk) for update.
> > both were updated from the same tumbleweed repo.
> > evolution to version 3.26.3-1.1, and libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 to version
> > 2.18.4-1.1
>
>  
> > no conflict or dependency error was shown.
> > everything was "green" and ok, even after check in yast for any problems.
> > so i continued to install the updates.
> >

> and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'. Nothing
> else.


but why?
tumbleweed repos are like every other repos.
instead of using the leap repos, or before, the 13.x repos, i now simply use the tumbleweed repos.
and additionally some other repos like mozilla, libreoffice, KDE,...

i don't want to update everything every day.
i still want to update, for example, only evolution to latest version.

and normally this also works.
i do it this way now for a long time.

is the answer to this issue really "only use zypper dup"?
i think the dependencies should be solved in yast when selecting the packages.
i think it is not ok, that yast does not know or show any dependency problem when selecting single packages, and that it
only works, when updating the whole system every time.
and if there are really so much packages dependent to each others, it should be shown in yast.
so, when selecting, for example, evolution for an update, all the other needed packages should automatically be selected
for update, like it is normal and usual in yast.

because otherwise for an user it is not understandable why the behaviour is different, if you use the leap or the
tumbleweed repos.

and nowhere in https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_upgrade (which is the documentation for how to use/move to
the tumblewwed repos) is stated, that from this point on in the future you can't use yast anymore for updates, but have
to use "zypper dup".
it is however written, that you have to use "zypper dup" to do the switch/upgrade from older/other repos to tumbleweed,
but not, that this will be the only supported upgrade path in the future.
--


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH






N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Brüns, Stefan
On Montag, 8. Januar 2018 14:44:19 CET Rainer Klier wrote:

> Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
>
> > Op maandag 8 januari 2018 11:34:53 CET schreef Rainer Klier:
> >
> > > Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 11:16 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
> > > DimStar:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > How? Using zypper dup?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > no.
> > >
> > > i opened yast and selected both (evolution and libwebkit2gtk) for
> > > update.
> > > both were updated from the same tumbleweed repo.
> > > evolution to version 3.26.3-1.1, and libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 to version
> > > 2.18.4-1.1
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >  
> > > no conflict or dependency error was shown.
> > > everything was "green" and ok, even after check in yast for any
> > > problems.
> > > so i continued to install the updates.
> > >
>
>
>
> > and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'.
> > Nothing
 else.
>
>
>
> but why?
> tumbleweed repos are like every other repos.

Format wise yes, content wise no. The TW repo from today may contain
completely different packages than the one from yesterday. The packages from
todays repo are built using the other packages from todays repo.

As long as not all upstreams provide correctly versioned libraries, zypper dup
is required before installing any new software.

Regards,

Stefan--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 13:55 +0000 schrieb Brüns, Stefan:

> On Montag, 8. Januar 2018 14:44:19 CET Rainer Klier wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
> >
> > > and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'.
> > > Nothing
>
>  else.
> >
> >
> >
> > but why?
> > tumbleweed repos are like every other repos.
>
> Format wise yes, content wise no. The TW repo from today may contain
> completely different packages than the one from yesterday. The packages from
> todays repo are built using the other packages from todays repo.


hmm, ok. understood.
but i think this should be stated somewhere more prominent.
not like "it is best to do zypper dup", but more like "there may be unresolved/unshown/hidden package dependencies in
the future, so you MUST use zypper dup at the moment you move to tumbleweed repos!"

> As long as not all upstreams provide correctly versioned libraries, zypper dup
> is required before installing any new software.

ok, this means, in the future, whenever i try to update a single package, and it again fails, then i have to disable all
the other repos, so that only the tumbleweed repos are valid any more, and then do a "zypper dup" to resolve the
"unknown" issue.
this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where packages from tumblewwed repos are older, and
these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....

very very expensive...... :-(


--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH



N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 14:13 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> ok, this means, in the future, whenever i try to update a single package, and it again fails, then i have to disable all
> the other repos, so that only the tumbleweed repos are valid any more, and then do a "zypper dup" to resolve the
> "unknown" issue.
> this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where packages from tumblewwed repos are older, and
> these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....

What other repos do you have enabled? Are you missing packages in TW or
do you track devel projects to be 'even faster with updates'?

If you miss packages, best to work with the current package maintainers
to get things into TW proper; if you have devel prjs added because you
are maintainer of those projects, I'd recommend working with repo prios
(but I would not recommend this unless you actually KNOW/maintain the
content of the repos)

In essence: try to keep your repo list for TW as short as possible: not
seldom, a lot of devel projects do not catch up with rebuilds when a
snapshot is being released (and no, I cannot postpone snapshot releases
until 'all of obs is rebuilt' - you would have 1 snapshot a month at
best)

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Rainer Klier-6
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



On Monday, 2018-01-08 at 14:13 -0000, Rainer Klier wrote:

> Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 13:55 +0000 schrieb Brüns, Stefan:
>> On Montag, 8. Januar 2018 14:44:19 CET Rainer Klier wrote:
>>> Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
>>>
>>>> and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'.
>>>> Nothing else.

That is so.

>>> but why?
>>> tumbleweed repos are like every other repos.
>>
>> Format wise yes, content wise no. The TW repo from today may contain
>> completely different packages than the one from yesterday. The packages from
>> todays repo are built using the other packages from todays repo.
>
>
> hmm, ok. understood.
> but i think this should be stated somewhere more prominent.
> not like "it is best to do zypper dup", but more like "there may be unresolved/unshown/hidden package dependencies in
> the future, so you MUST use zypper dup at the moment you move to tumbleweed repos!"
Yes, this is true.

>
>> As long as not all upstreams provide correctly versioned libraries, zypper dup
>> is required before installing any new software.
>
> ok, this means, in the future, whenever i try to update a single package, and it again fails, then i have to disable all
> the other repos, so that only the tumbleweed repos are valid any more, and then do a "zypper dup" to resolve the
> "unknown" issue.
> this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where packages from tumblewwed repos are older, and
> these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....
>
> very very expensive...... :-(
No, you do not need to disable other repos, but it is best not to use
them, specially if the packages you want are available on TW main repos
(oss, non-oss, and update)

You simply have to run "zypper dup" periodically. Often.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.
        (from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iEYEARECAAYFAlpTgX8ACgkQtTMYHG2NR9UgYgCZAdw4u1XnwDSfvI4mqV0nbaLV
xCsAniiXcgxkKfHG3k6BgWGwzRLtIULg
=AEm+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 15:34 +0100 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

>
> On Monday, 2018-01-08 at 14:13 -0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
>
> > Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 13:55 +0000 schrieb Brüns, Stefan:
> > > On Montag, 8. Januar 2018 14:44:19 CET Rainer Klier wrote:
> > > > Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
> > > >
> > > > > and that's wrong. TW should *only* be updated through 'zypper dup'.
> > > > > Nothing else.
>
> That is so.


:-(

> but i think this should be stated somewhere more prominent.
> > not like "it is best to do zypper dup", but more like "there may be unresolved/unshown/hidden package dependencies
> > in
> > the future, so you MUST use zypper dup at the moment you move to tumbleweed repos!"
>
> Yes, this is true.

at least it is then known BEFORE such issues happen.

> this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where packages from tumblewwed repos are older,
> > and
> > these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....
> >
> > very very expensive...... :-(
>
> No, you do not need to disable other repos, but it is best not to use
> them, specially if the packages you want are available on TW main repos
> (oss, non-oss, and update)

don't like this.

>
> You simply have to run "zypper dup" periodically. Often.

don't like this either.
:-(
but at least it is now clear to me.
--


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH



N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 15:21 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:

> On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 14:13 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> > ok, this means, in the future, whenever i try to update a single package, and it again fails, then i have to disable
> > all
> > the other repos, so that only the tumbleweed repos are valid any more, and then do a "zypper dup" to resolve the
> > "unknown" issue.
> > this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where packages from tumblewwed repos are older,
> > and
> > these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....
>
> What other repos do you have enabled? Are you missing packages in TW or

some google repos (chrome, earth, musicmanager)
some microsoft repos (dotnet, powershell)
gcc
c_c++
python
svn
devel tools
filesystems
games tools
games
gnome apps
graphics
KDE applications
KDE distro factory
KDE extra
KDE frameworks5
KDE Qt5
kernel standard
libreoffice factory
mono factory
mozilla factory
multimedia apps, libs and photo
samba
network
printing
shells
virtualization
remotedesktop
x11 utilities
xorg factory
vlc
packman
skype
and some home: repos for some exotic packages

yes, i know, this is quite much.
yes, i know, i would/could also live with only the standard tumbleweed repos.
yes, i know, updating becomes more complex with that many repos enabled.

but normally it works perfectly, and i have latest versions of everything i need.

before using tumbleweed i used 13.2.
and my first idea about tumbleweed was, that i have latest version of opensuse, and latest packages available.
but not, that i always have to update the WHOLE system......

> do you track devel projects to be 'even faster with updates'?

i have only some repos where i want latest version of the packages they contain.

> If you miss packages, best to work with the current package maintainers
> to get things into TW proper; if you have devel prjs added because you

i think most of the packages of the repos mentioned above will sooner or later appear in new version also in TW repos.
but i want them, as soon as they are built and available, and don't want to wait for them to appear in TW repo.....
and my opinion was, that this is exactly what TW is all about....
i thought that this is the idea behind TW.

> In essence: try to keep your repo list for TW as short as possible: not

yes, understood.

but it simply should not happen that when i cherry-pick in yast some package from TW repo to be updated, that it
updates, does NOT show/warn me about a conflict/dependency and then the application crashes.

in a package-manager-world this is the worst thing to happen.
this is the reason for using a package-manager, so that such situation can't happen.....
--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH






N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op maandag 8 januari 2018 16:46:22 CET schreef Rainer Klier:
> Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 15:21 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
> DimStar:
> > On Mon, 2018-01-08 at 14:13 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> >
> > > ok, this means, in the future, whenever i try to update a single
> > > package, and it again fails, then i have to disable
 all
> > > the other repos, so that only the tumbleweed repos are valid any more,
> > > and then do a "zypper dup" to resolve the
 "unknown" issue.
> > > this will, of course, downgrade ALL the packages from other repos, where
> > > packages from tumblewwed repos are older,
 and

> > > these have to be upgraded then again afterwards....
> >
> >
> > What other repos do you have enabled? Are you missing packages in TW or
>
>
> some google repos (chrome, earth, musicmanager)
> some microsoft repos (dotnet, powershell)
> gcc
> c_c++
> python
> svn
> devel tools
> filesystems
> games tools
> games
> gnome apps
> graphics
> KDE applications
> KDE distro factory
> KDE extra
> KDE frameworks5
> KDE Qt5
> kernel standard
> libreoffice factory
> mono factory
> mozilla factory
> multimedia apps, libs and photo
> samba
> network
> printing
> shells
> virtualization
> remotedesktop
> x11 utilities
> xorg factory
> vlc
> packman
> skype
> and some home: repos for some exotic packages
>
> yes, i know, this is quite much.
> yes, i know, i would/could also live with only the standard tumbleweed
> repos.
 yes, i know, updating becomes more complex with that many repos
> enabled.
> but normally it works perfectly, and i have latest versions of everything i
> need.
 
> before using tumbleweed i used 13.2.
> and my first idea about tumbleweed was, that i have latest version of
> opensuse, and latest packages available.
 but not, that i always have to
> update the WHOLE system......
>
>
> > do you track devel projects to be 'even faster with updates'?
>
>
> i have only some repos where i want latest version of the packages they
> contain.
 
>
> > If you miss packages, best to work with the current package maintainers
> > to get things into TW proper; if you have devel prjs added because you
>
>
> i think most of the packages of the repos mentioned above will sooner or
> later appear in new version also in TW repos.
 but i want them, as soon as

> they are built and available, and don't want to wait for them to appear in
> TW repo..... and my opinion was, that this is exactly what TW is all
> about.... i thought that this is the idea behind TW.
>
>
> > In essence: try to keep your repo list for TW as short as possible: not
>
>
> yes, understood.
>
> but it simply should not happen that when i cherry-pick in yast some package
> from TW repo to be updated, that it
 updates, does NOT show/warn me about a
> conflict/dependency and then the application crashes.
> in a package-manager-world this is the worst thing to happen.
> this is the reason for using a package-manager, so that such situation can't
> happen.....
 --

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
> Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti |
> Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales
 

>
> DI Rainer Klier
>
>
> Research & Development, DevOps
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________
>
>
>  
>
>
> Namirial GmbH
>
>
>
>
>
>

You don't have to update the whole system, that's nonsense, you only update
the packages that are new in the newly released snapshot. O, stop, not
nonsense, it can happen, f.e. on a major gcc version upgrade where all
packages were rebuilt and appeared as updates. I think that happened twice in
the years that I've been running TW.

TW is released over and over again after openQA testing, but with only updated
packages, most packages don't chang at all, so will not have to be
reinstalled. Even more: if you enable f.e. the Packman repo, and perrform a
vendor change on it, i.e. tell zypper you want the packages available from
that repo, zypper has a default for TW ( --no-vendor-change ) that respects
that choice.
The devs have even added an extra warning when using 'zypper up', i.e. that
'zypper dup' should be used.

The openSUSE Project wants TW to be a rolling, yet always stable, release, for
which openqa.opensuse.org is used. Updated packages are not released until
they pass the tests ... A thing one is breaking by replacing the distro
packages by those from other repos. Given the current infrastructure and
people available it's impossible to include these repos into testing TW.

Re. repos: why add any KDE repo if TW mostly serves upstream packages within
24 hours ?
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Dave Plater lst
In reply to this post by Rainer Klier-6


On 08/01/2018 12:08, Rainer Klier wrote:

> hi,
>
> today i updated evolution and libwebkit2gtk for tumbleweed from http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss.
>
> to my surprise evolution did not start any more after this update.
>
> when starting evolution from bash i found out why:
>
> evolution: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: undefined symbol:
> _ZThn16_N9Inspector21InspectorRuntimeAgent36getRuntimeTypesForVariablesAtOffsetsERN3WTF6StringERKNS1_8JSONImpl5ArrayERNS
> 1_6RefPtrINS_8Protoco
> l5ArrayINS9_7Runtime15TypeDescriptionEEEEE
>
> WTF?
>
> i managed to download package libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.x86_64.rpm from a leap repository.
> now evolution starts again.
>
> so there is a unresolved dependency/bug regarding evolution and latest libwebkit2gtk.
>
This thread seems to have missed the main point:
The evolution package that you installed was built against a different
version of the libwebkit2gtk that you installed at the same time. If all
your packages came from Tumbleweed this could either be a bug or due to
the fact that evolution was still building against the newer library. In
the latter case waiting the build to finish and installing the newer
evolution version will fix the problem.
If you have a mix of packages from different repositories then this is
not a bug and it is up to you to find the correct library, which you did
but this doesn't guarantee that you won't have other problems in the future.
Dave P
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 07:34 +0200 schrieb Dave Plater:
>
> On 08/01/2018 12:08, Rainer Klier wrote:

> >
i managed to download package libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.x86_64.rpm from a leap repository.
> > now evolution starts again.
> >
> > so there is a unresolved dependency/bug regarding evolution and latest libwebkit2gtk.
> >
>
> This thread seems to have missed the main point:

thank you much, you are right!

> The evolution package that you installed was built against a different
> version of the libwebkit2gtk that you installed at the same time. If all

yes, and both are from same TW repo and would also beeing installed at the same time if i would have done a "zypper
dup".
i assume....


> your packages came from Tumbleweed this could either be a bug or due to
> the fact that evolution was still building against the newer library. In
> the latter case waiting the build to finish and installing the newer
> evolution version will fix the problem.
> If you have a mix of packages from different repositories then this is
> not a bug and it is up to you to find the correct library, which you did

no, both are from TW repo.
it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper dup"....
does it also crash?

> but this doesn't guarantee that you won't have other problems in the future.

yes, of course.

--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH



N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:15 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:

> your packages came from Tumbleweed this could either be a bug or due to
> > the fact that evolution was still building against the newer library. In
> > the latter case waiting the build to finish and installing the newer
> > evolution version will fix the problem.
> > If you have a mix of packages from different repositories then this is
> > not a bug and it is up to you to find the correct library, which you did
>
> no, both are from TW repo.
> it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper dup"....
> does it also crash?
Highly doubtful, since there is an openQA test of a duped machine - and
I am sure many more would have jumped on the wagon here and shouted 'me
too'

Anyway, to hopefully get this to an end: what you very likely forgot to
update at the same time as libwebkitgtk-4_0-37 was webkit2gtk-4_0-
injected-bundles (note: this is an assumption/guess only)

Cheers
Dominique

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 09:28 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:

> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:15 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> >
> > no, both are from TW repo.
> > it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper
> > dup"....
> > does it also crash?
>
> Highly doubtful, since there is an openQA test of a duped machine - and
> I am sure many more would have jumped on the wagon here and shouted 'me
> too'

hmm, yes, that seems obvious.

> Anyway, to hopefully get this to an end: what you very likely forgot to
> update at the same time as libwebkitgtk-4_0-37 was webkit2gtk-4_0-
> injected-bundles (note: this is an assumption/guess only)

thanks, but this didn't solve it.

i updated the injected-bundles package also, but it didn't solve it.

i now also added the GNOME:Factory repo (juhuuu, another repo to my list.. ;-) to get evolution AND all *webkit*
packages from there, and was able to install everything from there.
but this also didn't solve this issue.

really strange.

only the downgrade:
rpm -Uhv --force libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.x86_64.rpm libwebkit2gtk3-lang-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.noarch.rpm

solves this issue.

at least it's a workaround and i can continue to work.....
--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH






N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:41 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 09:28 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> > On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:15 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> > >
> > > no, both are from TW repo.
> > > it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper
> > > dup"....
> > > does it also crash?
> >
> > Highly doubtful, since there is an openQA test of a duped machine - and
> > I am sure many more would have jumped on the wagon here and shouted 'me
> > too'
>
> hmm, yes, that seems obvious.
>
> > Anyway, to hopefully get this to an end: what you very likely forgot to
> > update at the same time as libwebkitgtk-4_0-37 was webkit2gtk-4_0-
> > injected-bundles (note: this is an assumption/guess only)
>
> thanks, but this didn't solve it.
>
> i updated the injected-bundles package also, but it didn't solve it.
>
> i now also added the GNOME:Factory repo (juhuuu, another repo to my list.. ;-) to get evolution AND all *webkit*
> packages from there, and was able to install everything from there.
> but this also didn't solve this issue.
Urgh - so in order to fix an already polluted system you pollute it
more... as the maintainer of GNOME:Factory, I can only say: there
should be really no reason at all to add G:F to any machine that is not
doing actual devel work on the GNOME packages. Upgrades from G:F moved
to TW at a high enough pace - once things are tested on the developers
machines. But of course, you are 'free' to do as you wish.

Cheers
Dominique

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Rainer Klier-6
Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 09:48 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:41 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> >
> > i updated the injected-bundles package also, but it didn't solve it.
> >
> > i now also added the GNOME:Factory repo (juhuuu, another repo to my list.. ;-) to get evolution AND all *webkit*
> > packages from there, and was able to install everything from there.
> > but this also didn't solve this issue.
>
> Urgh - so in order to fix an already polluted system you pollute it

for a polluted system it works very well for many many years now.... ;-)
with the exception of such rare strange issue like this.

> more... as the maintainer of GNOME:Factory, I can only say: there
> should be really no reason at all to add G:F to any machine that is not

ok, already disabled it. ;-)

it was just a try.... :-(

> doing actual devel work on the GNOME packages. Upgrades from G:F moved
> to TW at a high enough pace - once things are tested on the developers
> machines. But of course, you are 'free' to do as you wish.

no, you are right, i avoided GNOME:Factory in the past, because it already created some issues.....
so, i agree to you in disabling it.

--









 


Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti | Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales


DI Rainer Klier


Research & Development, DevOps




_________________________________________________________


 


Namirial GmbH






N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Konstantin Voinov
In reply to this post by Rainer Klier-6
I have similar "issue" few days ago with qt5webengine. And even I wrote
a bug report(!).
But actually problem was in forsaken trash in my /usr/local/lib

Maybe you have same old/forgotten libs somewhere:

ldd /usr/lib64/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 |grep -v /usr/lib64/



On 2018-01-09 18:41, Rainer Klier wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 09:28 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger
> / DimStar:
>> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:15 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
>> >
>> > no, both are from TW repo.
>> > it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper
>> > dup"....
>> > does it also crash?
>>
>> Highly doubtful, since there is an openQA test of a duped machine -
>> and
>> I am sure many more would have jumped on the wagon here and shouted
>> 'me
>> too'
>
> hmm, yes, that seems obvious.
>
>> Anyway, to hopefully get this to an end: what you very likely forgot
>> to
>> update at the same time as libwebkitgtk-4_0-37 was webkit2gtk-4_0-
>> injected-bundles (note: this is an assumption/guess only)
>
> thanks, but this didn't solve it.
>
> i updated the injected-bundles package also, but it didn't solve it.
>
> i now also added the GNOME:Factory repo (juhuuu, another repo to my
> list.. ;-) to get evolution AND all *webkit*
> packages from there, and was able to install everything from there.
> but this also didn't solve this issue.
>
> really strange.
>
> only the downgrade:
> rpm -Uhv --force libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.x86_64.rpm
> libwebkit2gtk3-lang-2.18.3-lp150.2.5.noarch.rpm
>
> solves this issue.
>
> at least it's a workaround and i can continue to work.....
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement | Cordiali Saluti |
> Atenciosamente | Saludos Cordiales
>
>
> DI Rainer Klier
>
>
> Research & Development, DevOps
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
> Namirial GmbH
>
>
>
>
>
>
> N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1

Richard Biener
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:41 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 09:28 +0100 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> > > On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 08:15 +0000, Rainer Klier wrote:
> > > >
> > > > no, both are from TW repo.
> > > > it would be interesting, what happens to evolution for a user, who cleanly and correctly always did a "zypper
> > > > dup"....
> > > > does it also crash?
> > >
> > > Highly doubtful, since there is an openQA test of a duped machine - and
> > > I am sure many more would have jumped on the wagon here and shouted 'me
> > > too'
> >
> > hmm, yes, that seems obvious.
> >
> > > Anyway, to hopefully get this to an end: what you very likely forgot to
> > > update at the same time as libwebkitgtk-4_0-37 was webkit2gtk-4_0-
> > > injected-bundles (note: this is an assumption/guess only)
> >
> > thanks, but this didn't solve it.
> >
> > i updated the injected-bundles package also, but it didn't solve it.
> >
> > i now also added the GNOME:Factory repo (juhuuu, another repo to my list.. ;-) to get evolution AND all *webkit*
> > packages from there, and was able to install everything from there.
> > but this also didn't solve this issue.
>
> Urgh - so in order to fix an already polluted system you pollute it
> more... as the maintainer of GNOME:Factory, I can only say: there
> should be really no reason at all to add G:F to any machine that is not
> doing actual devel work on the GNOME packages. Upgrades from G:F moved
> to TW at a high enough pace - once things are tested on the developers
> machines. But of course, you are 'free' to do as you wish.

The real issue is of course false binary compatibility promises made
via not changing the SONAME or using symbol versioning...

Of course it's quite hard to do right, especially with C++, but still
I'd expect "core" libraries to do better here...

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <[hidden email]>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

12