landing page translation

Douglas DeMaio-2
Hi all,
I hope your day is going well. We are at the point with the new openSUSE
landing page where we can move forward with translations. I want to
thank Cynthia and Zvezdana for their hard work and dedication in
developing this page, which you can find here -
http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/#

Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language
can be found at the bottom right of the landing page.

Please help us translate the information on the page so that we can
bring openSUSE and FOSS to people throughout the world. We would greatly
appreciate any assistance you can provide in translating the new landing
page.

You can contribute to the translation of this page by viewing
https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page#contribute

Above this, Cynthia wrote the reasoning behind the development.

We would like to go live with this by July 31, so please provide your
translation contributions by July 25.

--
Respectfully,
Douglas DeMaio

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right
thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you
can do is nothing."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Re: landing page translation

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2

> Hi all,
> I hope your day is going well. We are at the point with the new openSUSE
> landing page where we can move forward with translations. I want to thank
> Cynthia and Zvezdana for their hard work and dedication in developing this
> page, which you can find here -
> http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/#
>
> Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language can
> be found at the bottom right of the landing page.
>
> Please help us translate the information on the page so that we can bring
> openSUSE and FOSS to people throughout the world. We would greatly
> appreciate any assistance you can provide in translating the new landing
> page.
>
> You can contribute to the translation of this page by viewing
> https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page#contribute
>
> Above this, Cynthia wrote the reasoning behind the development.
>
> We would like to go live with this by July 31, so please provide your
> translation contributions by July 25.
>
> --
> Respectfully,
> Douglas DeMaio

Whatabout converting the content to be translated into .po files and
put it in our translation server. This will reduce the barrier for who
want to contribute with translations. No need to learn how to use git,
pyhton (to test it), edit txt files and maybe mess something, etc

Just like we did for translating the download page
(http://software.opensuse.org/)

Regards,

Luiz

PS:I love this new page!

On 07/14/2015 01:57 PM, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> I hope your day is going well. We are at the point with the new openSUSE
>> landing page where we can move forward with translations. I want to thank
>> Cynthia and Zvezdana for their hard work and dedication in developing this
>> page, which you can find here -
>> http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/#
>>
>> Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language can
>> be found at the bottom right of the landing page.
>>
>> Please help us translate the information on the page so that we can bring
>> openSUSE and FOSS to people throughout the world. We would greatly
>> appreciate any assistance you can provide in translating the new landing
>> page.
>>
>> You can contribute to the translation of this page by viewing
>> https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page#contribute
>>
>> Above this, Cynthia wrote the reasoning behind the development.
>>
>> We would like to go live with this by July 31, so please provide your
>> translation contributions by July 25.
>>
>> --
>> Respectfully,
>> Douglas DeMaio
>> [hidden email]
>>

> Hi,
>

> Whatabout converting the content to be translated into .po files and
> put it in our translation server. This will reduce the barrier for who
> want to contribute with translations. No need to learn how to use git,
> pyhton (to test it), edit txt files and maybe mess something, etc
>
> Just like we did for translating the download page
> (http://software.opensuse.org/)
>
> Regards,
>
> Luiz
>
> PS:I love this new page!

Hi Luiz,
I understand, but json is what we have. Learning it should be fairly
easy and it's explained in the last 4 paragraphs.

--
Respectfully,
Douglas DeMaio
[hidden email]

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right
thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you
can do is nothing."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Re: landing page translation

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2

> On 07/14/2015 01:57 PM, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>> I hope your day is going well. We are at the point with the new openSUSE
>>> landing page where we can move forward with translations. I want to thank
>>> Cynthia and Zvezdana for their hard work and dedication in developing
>>> this
>>> page, which you can find here -
>>> http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/#
>>>
>>> Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language
>>> can
>>> be found at the bottom right of the landing page.
>>>
>>> Please help us translate the information on the page so that we can bring
>>> openSUSE and FOSS to people throughout the world. We would greatly
>>> appreciate any assistance you can provide in translating the new landing
>>> page.
>>>
>>> You can contribute to the translation of this page by viewing
>>> https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page#contribute
>>>
>>> Above this, Cynthia wrote the reasoning behind the development.
>>>
>>> We would like to go live with this by July 31, so please provide your
>>> translation contributions by July 25.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Respectfully,
>>> Douglas DeMaio
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> Whatabout converting the content to be translated into .po files and
>> put it in our translation server. This will reduce the barrier for who
>> want to contribute with translations. No need to learn how to use git,
>> pyhton (to test it), edit txt files and maybe mess something, etc
>>
>> Just like we did for translating the download page
>> (http://software.opensuse.org/)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Luiz
>>
>> PS:I love this new page!
>>
> Hi Luiz,
> I understand, but json is what we have. Learning it should be fairly easy
> and it's explained in the last 4 paragraphs.
>
> --
> Respectfully,
> Douglas DeMaio

In the description its said the we have to fork the repository, do the
changes and then what? How to submit it back to the original
repository?

And what happens if the content of the page change next month, for example?

Regards,

Luiz

Re: landing page translation

Michael Skiba-2
Am Dienstag, 14. Juli 2015, 10:17:40 schrieb Luiz Fernando Ranghetti:

> In the description its said the we have to fork the repository, do the
> changes and then what? How to submit it back to the original
> repository?

You submit a merge request to the original project.

> And what happens if the content of the page change next month, for example?
Git is quite capable of merging text based files, so that shouldn't be too
much of a problem. The only disadvantage that I see is that we can't properly
use our translation memory to create conistent translations and avoid double
translations.

However I found the following tool:
http://translate-toolkit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/commands/json2po.html
This should make it possibly to simply convert json to po and po to json
again, so we could tackle that issue (maybe even automate it? :-) ).

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: landing page translation

Ferdinand Galko

I agree with Luiz.
We have central point for managing translations of openSUSE.
And we use standard way via po files.

Ferdinand

>> Hi all,
>> I hope your day is going well. We are at the point with the new openSUSE
>> landing page where we can move forward with translations. I want to thank
>> Cynthia and Zvezdana for their hard work and dedication in developing this
>> page, which you can find here -
>> http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/#
>>
>> Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language can
>> be found at the bottom right of the landing page.
>>
>> Please help us translate the information on the page so that we can bring
>> openSUSE and FOSS to people throughout the world. We would greatly
>> appreciate any assistance you can provide in translating the new landing
>> page.
>>
>> You can contribute to the translation of this page by viewing
>> https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page#contribute
>>
>> Above this, Cynthia wrote the reasoning behind the development.
>>
>> We would like to go live with this by July 31, so please provide your
>> translation contributions by July 25.
>>
>> --
>> Respectfully,
>> Douglas DeMaio
>> [hidden email]
>>

> Hi,
>

> Whatabout converting the content to be translated into .po files and
> put it in our translation server. This will reduce the barrier for who
> want to contribute with translations. No need to learn how to use git,
> pyhton (to test it), edit txt files and maybe mess something, etc
>
> Just like we did for translating the download page
> (http://software.opensuse.org/)
>
> Regards,
>
> Luiz
>
> PS:I love this new page!

Re: landing page translation

Re: landing page translation

Re: landing page translation

Karl Eichwalder
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> writes:

> This high cpu usage disappears when I close that page...

I use NoScript ;)

--
Karl Eichwalder            SUSE Linux GmbH
R&D / Documentation        Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: landing page translation

Re: landing page translation

Karl Ove Hufthammer
Den 14. juli 2015 18:20, Carlos E. R. skreiv:
>> I agree with Luiz. We have central point for managing translations
>> >of openSUSE. And we use standard way via po files.
> I agree, too, although Spanish is not affected.

I agree too. Translatable content *needs* to be in a standardised
translation format (i.e., PO files), in a central place. Anything else
is a recipe for disaster, for very many reasons. We (translators) have
*years* of lessons learned on this.

Any when openSUSE already *has* a nice infrastructure for translating
content, it seems like an especially bad idea not to use it.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer

Re: landing page translation

Andrea Turrini
On 15/07/15 00:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2015-07-14 13:48, Douglas DeMaio wrote:
>
>> Currently we have the page in English and Spanish. Changing the language
>> can be found at the bottom right of the landing page.
>
> top - 18:27:31 up 1 day, 13 min, 22 users,  load average: 2.02, 1.71, 1.80
> Tasks: 270 total,   3 running, 267 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> %Cpu0  : 67.1 us,  5.4 sy,  0.0 ni, 27.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
> %Cpu1  : 63.0 us,  6.7 sy,  0.0 ni, 30.3 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
> KiB Mem:   3957996 total,  2250976 used,  1707020 free,    58816 buffers
> KiB Swap:  6289412 total,   586524 used,  5702888 free,   858940 cached
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR   SWAP   USED S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
>  1895 root      20   0  391116 111924  90924   6684 118608 S 81.71 2.828  77:53.26 X
> 11080 cer       20   0 2108204 636064  28112      0 636064 R 60.54 16.07 100:02.40 firefox
>

> This high cpu usage disappears when I close that page...

I noted this too. I already reported it as an issue in github.

If you use noscript (as I do), then parts of the page are not accessible
anymore while others just don't work as expected.

Best,
Andrea

On 07/14/2015 07:44 PM, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Den 14. juli 2015 18:20, Carlos E. R. skreiv:
>>> I agree with Luiz. We have central point for managing translations
>> I agree, too, although Spanish is not affected.
>
> I agree too. Translatable content *needs* to be in a standardised
> translation format (i.e., PO files), in a central place. Anything else
> is a recipe for disaster, for very many reasons. We (translators) have
> *years* of lessons learned on this.
>
> Any when openSUSE already *has* a nice infrastructure for translating
> content, it seems like an especially bad idea not to use it.

Hi Karl,
What's your recommendation going forward? The website was done in json.
The readme file explains things about contributing to the landing page
and json and po are very similar. Could you or anyone else familar with
translations give us some guidance here? Cynthia and Zvezdana's time is
taken by other projects. The translations are really the only thing we
would need to get this online.

Douglas DeMaio <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Karl,

Since that's my name, too -- I took action ;)

> What's your recommendation going forward?

From the en.json, I created opensuse-landing-page.pot and checked it
into the SVN.  (for the moment, I did this with Emacs keyboard macros.)

I also created initial language files (.po).

Once translations are done, we probably must convert the .LL.po files to
the .json files.

If someone could write the needed scripts for this workflow (or
recommend tested tools), it would be great.

--
Karl Eichwalder            SUSE Linux GmbH
R&D / Documentation        Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: landing page translation

David Medina
I also agree. If there is no technical reason that makes it totally
impossible, it would not make any sense not to have the appropriate pot/po
file, and it would not be practical to have translation resources split in two
different places. The current landing page's text is in a pot/po file already.
Why not update it?
I have never used Github. I am going to try, but I feel unsure I will manage
it at first try, and I think this will only delay things and it may result in
less available languages, such as mine.
Thanks,
David Medina
Catalan team

El Dimarts, 14 de juliol de 2015, a les 19:44:47, Karl Ove Hufthammer va
escriure:

> Den 14. juli 2015 18:20, Carlos E. R. skreiv:
> >> I agree with Luiz. We have central point for managing translations

> > I agree, too, although Spanish is not affected.
>
> I agree too. Translatable content *needs* to be in a standardised
> translation format (i.e., PO files), in a central place. Anything else
> is a recipe for disaster, for very many reasons. We (translators) have
> *years* of lessons learned on this.
>
> Any when openSUSE already *has* a nice infrastructure for translating
> content, it seems like an especially bad idea not to use it.

Re: landing page translation

Karl Eichwalder
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I use NoScript ;)
>
> Ow.
>
> That's cheating, you know :-P

Just for testing ;)  But even with NoScript it consumes some cpu cycles.

>> This high cpu usage disappears when I close that page...
>
> I noted this too. I already reported it as an issue in github.
>
> If you use noscript (as I do), then parts of the page are not accessible
> anymore while others just don't work as expected.

I had that suspicion, too ;-(   I frankly admit that it looks nice with
js enabled.

--
Karl Eichwalder            SUSE Linux GmbH
R&D / Documentation        Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: landing page translation

Karl Eichwalder
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> writes:

> I agree, too, although Spanish is not affected.

At least, some dot are missing at the end of the sentences ;)

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2015, 10:51:35 schrieb Karl Eichwalder:
> If someone could write the needed scripts for this workflow (or
> recommend tested tools), it would be great.
http://translate-toolkit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/commands/json2po.html

I haven't tested it personally, but the above toolkit seems to do exactly that
(json->po and po->json)
--
Kind Regards,
Michael