l10n.opensuse.org: weblate upgrade: planned outage

l10n.opensuse.org: weblate upgrade: planned outage

Stanislav Brabec
Hi.

I just finished and tested the upgrade procedure of weblate.

https://l10n.opensuse.org currently uses weblate-2.18 on openSUSE Leap 42.3.

After the upgrade, it will use weblate-3.2.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.0.

Database migration will be needed, so the server has to be offline for
some time. The planned outage should not exceed 8 hours.

I am proposing to perform the upgrade tomorrow Dec 14, starting at about
11:00 GMT.

There are many changes in the new version. Most important are:

- Improved review process.

- Permission system was refactored.

There is a planned end of support: The new permission system dropped
support for individual permissions. Only group permissions will be
supported. I hope that nobody will be affected by that.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                         e-mail: [hidden email]
Křižíkova 148/34 (Corso IIa)                  tel: +49 911 7405384547
186 00 Praha 8-Karlín                          fax:  +420 284 084 001
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/
PGP: 830B 40D5 9E05 35D8 5E27 6FA3 717C 209F A04F CD76

Re: l10n.opensuse.org: weblate upgrade: planned outage

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Stanislav,

Thank you for your engagement to upgrade Weblate!
We don't have any Leap release at the moment. So we would not have any problem with the downtime.
But it would be great to publish the exact time before on this mailing list. ;)

I have one question about group permissions:
Is that a group permission per language or anything specific with general access?

Best regards,
Sarah

Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:
> Hi Stanislav,
>
> Thank you for your engagement to upgrade Weblate!
> We don't have any Leap release at the moment. So we would not have any problem with the downtime.
> But it would be great to publish the exact time before on this mailing list. ;)

It is always hard to guess. There is a guess "when no problems appear". But even if the upgrade is always tested on the staging machine, things don't go always as expected.

> I have one question about group permissions:
> Is that a group permission per language or anything specific with general access?

Group permission existed before. Now it is the main way to get permissions. Individual permissions were removed.

I have to study details of the new permission model, so we can start the limited access for languages that have a working translation community.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer

> > Thank you for your engagement to upgrade Weblate!
> > We don't have any Leap release at the moment. So we would not have any problem with the downtime.
> > But it would be great to publish the exact time before on this mailing list. ;)
>
> It is always hard to guess. There is a guess "when no problems appear". But even if the upgrade is always tested on the staging machine, things don't go always as expected.

That sounds like you have to test with a "fresh" VM. Perhaps you can receive the same behavior if you will ask after a snapshot of the live system for test upgrades. In addition, you have to use a separate database with the database dump of the live system (like now). Then the ip address of the snapshot vm and the database configuration have to be changed. After that you should be able to reproduce all better.

> > I have one question about group permissions:
> > Is that a group permission per language or anything specific with general access?
>
> Group permission existed before. Now it is the main way to get permissions. Individual permissions were removed.
>
> I have to study details of the new permission model, so we can start the limited access for languages that have a working translation community.

Thank you for your engagement! We are living with people as you.
Merry Christmas!

Best regards,
Sarah

On Dec 24, 2018 at 09:09 PM Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

>> It is always hard to guess. There is a guess "when no problems appear". But even if the upgrade is always tested on the staging machine, things don't go always as expected.
>
> That sounds like you have to test with a "fresh" VM. Perhaps you can receive the same behavior if you will ask after a snapshot of the live system for test upgrades.

Yes, I used a fresh image. Some time ago, production instance was installed from the same data set, but production setup went through the set of incremental upgrades.

Starting with a whole filesystem snapshot could be a good idea. Or even making both and evaluating differences.

By the way, I can clean-up the staging scripts a bit, and provide Weblate easy installation tool to others.

> In addition, you have to use a separate database with the database dump of the live system (like now). Then the ip address of the snapshot vm and the database configuration have to be changed. After that you should be able to reproduce all better.

Yes, I do that.

In addition, I have another VM that simulates openSUSE infrastructure: haproxy server with NPN HTTPS setup and the database server.

But even with the best ever setup, problems can appear. This time I discovered a race condition that never appeared on the production machine, but appeared on the staging machine. https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/2467

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer