kubuntu question

1234 ... 7

kubuntu question

Doug McGarrett
I know a lot of kubuntu questions appear here.  I have
submitted my subscription to their list, but so far have not
heard anything back.  So I pose the question here:

I got some Kubuntu discs a little while ago, and I would like to
try them on my XP computer, which presently has a separate HD
with Suse 10.0 on it.  (I have another computer dedicated at the
moment to Suse 9.3.)  I will blow off Suse 10.0 and install Kubuntu,
but I have questions:

First, all the Kubuntu discs have the same stuff on the label--
Version 6.06 LTS, but no sequence number. How do I find
disc 1, etc.? (All the disks seem to have a readme file which
in each case says "disknum 1".)

Is this safe to do with whatever the Kubuntu installer does?
I definitely do not want to lose my XP disc and partition. I
have some important information on there, as well as some music
from before they shut Napster down.  (Stuff that's NOT available
on media that's presently in print or for sale anywhere.)

--tia--doug

Re: kubuntu question

Frank Arnold-2
One disk is all you need.
The rest of the install, if needed, can be done on-line.
Frank Arnold

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 19:52 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I know a lot of kubuntu questions appear here.  I have
> submitted my subscription to their list, but so far have not
> heard anything back.  So I pose the question here:
>
> I got some Kubuntu discs a little while ago, and I would like to
> try them on my XP computer, which presently has a separate HD
> with Suse 10.0 on it.  (I have another computer dedicated at the
> moment to Suse 9.3.)  I will blow off Suse 10.0 and install Kubuntu,
> but I have questions:
>
> First, all the Kubuntu discs have the same stuff on the label--
> Version 6.06 LTS, but no sequence number. How do I find
> disc 1, etc.? (All the disks seem to have a readme file which
> in each case says "disknum 1".)
>
> Is this safe to do with whatever the Kubuntu installer does?
> I definitely do not want to lose my XP disc and partition. I
> have some important information on there, as well as some music
> from before they shut Napster down.  (Stuff that's NOT available
> on media that's presently in print or for sale anywhere.)
>
> --tia--doug

Re: kubuntu question

M Harris-2
On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:52, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I know a lot of kubuntu questions appear here.  I have
> submitted my subscription to their list, but so far have not
> heard anything back.  So I pose the question here:
        No... you should not post Ubuntu questions here. Having said that, I will
still try to help you... cause I'm a geek hacker and I love Ubuntu... and I'm
currently angry at navell for climbing into bed with M$... but that's another
story.

> I got some Kubuntu discs a little while ago, and I would like to
> try them on my XP computer, which presently has a separate HD
> with Suse 10.0 on it.  (I have another computer dedicated at the
> moment to Suse 9.3.)  I will blow off Suse 10.0 and install Kubuntu,
> but I have questions:
        No no no... blow off windoze XP and keep both Suse 10 and Ubuntu... then if
this silly snafu between navell and M$ doesn't work out... you can drop Suse
also.....

> First, all the Kubuntu discs have the same stuff on the label--
> Version 6.06 LTS, but no sequence number. How do I find
> disc 1, etc.? (All the disks seem to have a readme file which
> in each case says "disknum 1".)
        My Ubuntu "disk" in a DVD... contains the full version of 6.06 LTS and is
contained on one (1) disk... very convenient... the Ubuntu folks will mail
you a disk, or if you want you can purchase Sam's Ubuntu Unleashed and get
the disk in the back cover... I recommend this for Ubuntu newbies because I
think Andrew Hudson and Paul Hudson have done an outstanding job with the
book... neither here nor there... I am going to assume (perhaps wrongly) that
only one of the CDs you have is "bootable"?  Having said that... I must admit
that I have never seen a CD set for Ubuntu... only the DVD.

> Is this safe to do with whatever the Kubuntu installer does?
> I definitely do not want to lose my XP disc and partition. I
> have some important information on there, as well as some music
> from before they shut Napster down.  (Stuff that's NOT available
> on media that's presently in print or for sale anywhere.)
        No....

        Never, and I mean never, experiment with a production or critical system.

        *never*

        Having said that... it probably isn't going to hurt you... but remember what
I said... *never*.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: kubuntu question

sfreilly

Re: kubuntu question

Tom Patton
On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 19:52 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> First, all the Kubuntu discs have the same stuff on the label--
> Version 6.06 LTS, but no sequence number. How do I find
> disc 1, etc.? (All the disks seem to have a readme file which
> in each case says "disknum 1".)

I believe they send 5 copies of the disk, so you will convert 4 other
people...
> Is this safe to do with whatever the Kubuntu installer does?
As long as you read the installer screens, the win will be safe...if you
take the defaults, then I think your win is gone.  At least that's the
way their 5.10 cd worked.  I was not impressed, and haven't used the
newer distro.

If you are networked...why not backup your win stuff onto your 9.3
machine?

--
Tom in NM
SuSE 9.3/Evolution

Re: kubuntu question

Janne Karhunen
On Friday 17 November 2006 03:21, M Harris wrote:

> > I know a lot of kubuntu questions appear here.  I have
> > submitted my subscription to their list, but so far have not
> > heard anything back.  So I pose the question here:
>
> No... you should not post Ubuntu questions here. Having said that, I will
> still try to help you... cause I'm a geek hacker and I love Ubuntu... and
> I'm currently angry at navell for climbing into bed with M$... but that's
> another story.

It's not that any of us are. FUD is already starting:
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/11/17/1324248.shtml

--
// Janne

Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Afan Pasalic
Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
intellectual property

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

-afan

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Janne Karhunen
On Friday 17 November 2006 19:19, [hidden email] wrote:

> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
> intellectual property
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&art
>icleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Once again time for Novell to clarify. Better yet, they could
demand MS to provide details of the infringement.

--
// Janne

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

upscope
On Fri November 17 2006 09:19, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
> intellectual property
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&art
>icleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1
>
> -afan
Maybe its time for the justice department to reopen the lawsuit againest MS. i
switched to Linux because of the issues using MS and costs. I also find it a
better and easy system to use. Why would Novell ever sign a deal with the
likes of MS?

Just my two cents.
--
Russ

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Saill White
On 11/17/2006 09:36 AM, Russbucket wrote:
> On Fri November 17 2006 09:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
>> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
>> intellectual property

It's well worth having a look at the full text of Ballmer's comments:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/108806.asp?source=rss

I especially like the part where he says:
> anybody who has got Linux in their data center today sort of has an undisclosed balance sheet liability

That degree of FUD-raking makes it look like they're pretty insecure about Vista being adopted on its own merits.

It's also interesting how his description of the deal differs from the Novell story.

At the same time, to the vast credit of the Novell developers it looks like Nat Friedman and Miguel de Icaza are fighting fiercely for a rewording of the agreement:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonmatusow/archive/2006/11/11/your-input-requested.aspx

Wouldn't like to be in their shoes right now.

Saill

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

JJ Gitties

--
jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is
a wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Peter Van Lone
On 11/17/06, JJ Gitties <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > "*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is a wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

I'm sorry, but I think that is idiotic.

I personally want linux to make headway into the corp world. That's
what Novell is trying to do. This deal *may* have been a mistake, but
to trumpet splitting now is tantamount to giving in.

At some point "the community" has to figure out how to accomodate the
demands of the corp/commercial world without having it's feelings
bruised.

Right now, more than anything, what we need to do is help Novell make
this work ... whether that be by changing the terms of the agreement,
or figuring out how to make it clear that the commercial sector is
pleased and that there is no real threat to FOSS ... Helping Novell is
helping the community.

Perhaps Novell need to turn around on MS right now, and challenge them
to bring suit --- dare them to sue Novell for the supposed "IP
infringements". Make it a put up or shut up situation.

But to fork suse now? Mistake ...

Peter

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Peter Nikolic
On Friday 17 November 2006 19:43, Peter Van Lone wrote:

> On 11/17/06, JJ Gitties <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > "*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is
> > > a wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."
>
> I'm sorry, but I think that is idiotic.
>
> I personally want linux to make headway into the corp world. That's
> what Novell is trying to do. This deal *may* have been a mistake, but
> to trumpet splitting now is tantamount to giving in.

Pruned
> Peter

The ONLY headway bieng made so far is microSlopS into making a fast buck out
of Linux .

You talk of headway into the corperate sector   well   .. Fix the miriad of
major show stoppers that were 10.1 and as far as i can see they are still
there infesting 10.2  .

Suse will never get anywhere with the hacked together bits like the painfully
loathesome  updater fiasco that was in 10.1   the self same infestation seems
to have followed thru into 10.2  it MAY have a few more manners now but it is
STILL  there clutsing up the system  , The original YOU update system may not
have been the best thing sinced (British) sliced Bread  but it was far better
than zmd and friends   .

OpenSuse should fork   and it should Retain the SuSe trademark  and the
Original ideals   . Novell was a bad idea from day one

Pete .

Suse 10.0  x86-64   with no unwanted infestations .

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

James Knott
[hidden email] wrote:
> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
> intellectual property
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1
>
> -afan

So, what else is new???

It's one thing to claim infringement and quite another to prove it, as
SCO has found.

According to what I've been reading, MS has been filing a lot of
frivolous patent applications.  Also, some companies have threatened
retaliatory patent suits against anyone who tries to use patents against
Linux.

On 11/17/06, Peter Nikolic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You talk of headway into the corperate sector   well   .. Fix the miriad of
> major show stoppers that were 10.1 and as far as i can see they are still
> there infesting 10.2  .

yup. it there a good reason why YOU is still breaking everytime I update?

:-(

--
jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is
a wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Hans Witvliet
On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 18:19 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

His claim is correct, but on other grounds....

If it wasn't for the resource hungry products of M$,
we would all be using 80386 with 640KB memory.
Disk-storage of over 1TB would be something for the far far future.

BTW, who claimed that 640KB was enough resource for everybody ;-)))))

hwit
--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Patrick Shanahan
* JJ Gitties <[hidden email]> [11-17-06 17:03]:

> yup. it there a good reason why YOU is still breaking everytime I update?

Probably has something to do with your sig!

--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

At 09:36 AM 11/17/2006 -0800, Russbucket wrote:

>On Fri November 17 2006 09:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
>> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
>> intellectual property
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasicart
>>icleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1
>>
>> -afan
>Maybe its time for the justice department to reopen the lawsuit againest
MS. i
>switched to Linux because of the issues using MS and costs. I also find it a
>better and easy system to use. Why would Novell ever sign a deal with the
>likes of MS?
>
>Just my two cents.
>--
>Russ
>--

You'll never see that happen in this administration!

--doug

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

John Meyer-4
Maybe he can ask SCO how far that argument went.

Look, I'm not saying that everybody in the Microsoft office isn't Satan
Spawn, but Microsoft is more than Gates and Ballmer and to imagine that
we can make a large impact in the computer world without them is absurd.

Doug McGarrett wrote:

> At 09:36 AM 11/17/2006 -0800, Russbucket wrote:
>>
>> On Fri November 17 2006 09:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
>>> He says the open-source operating system infringes on his company's
>>> intellectual property
>>>
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasicart
>>> icleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1
>>>
>>> -afan
>> Maybe its time for the justice department to reopen the lawsuit againest
> MS. i
>> switched to Linux because of the issues using MS and costs. I also find it a
>> better and easy system to use. Why would Novell ever sign a deal with the
>> likes of MS?
>>
>> Just my two cents.
>> --
>> Russ
>> --
>>
> You'll never see that happen in this administration!
>
> --doug

Re: Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

Joe-274

John Meyer wrote:
> Maybe he can ask SCO how far that argument went.
>
> Look, I'm not saying that everybody in the Microsoft office isn't Satan
> Spawn, but Microsoft is more than Gates and Ballmer

OK, I'm with you so far...

> and to imagine that
> we can make a large impact in the computer world without them is absurd.

?

Now that is a complete non-sequitur. I have no response to that, other
than to say that I'm astounded by the absurdity of the notion that
unix/linux needs microsoft's blessing in order to succeed in dislodging
microsoft from their comfortable near-monopoly position.

Joe

1234 ... 7