konsole

1234 ... 9

konsole

James Bunnell
I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.

Jim

Re: konsole

Per Jessen
James Bunnell wrote:

> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
> supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i
> open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why
> this is? thanks.

Which app is this exactly?  I don't have any "super user konsole", only
konsole.  It always opens with one tab.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.0°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Re: konsole

James Bunnell
in my kde, i have two konsoles, one is super user so when you open it,
it is root directly, then there is another konsole that is supposed to
open to the user. instead, it opens to root as well. ive tried the
profile settings, it wont work.

Per Jessen:

> James Bunnell wrote:
>
>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
>> supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i
>> open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why
>> this is? thanks.
>
> Which app is this exactly?  I don't have any "super user konsole", only
> konsole.  It always opens with one tab.

Re: konsole

Anton Aylward-2
On 17/06/17 06:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> James Bunnell wrote:
>
>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
>> supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i
>> open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why
>> this is? thanks.
>
> Which app is this exactly?  I don't have any "super user konsole", only
> konsole.  It always opens with one tab.

I run KDE and Konsole

# zypper info konsole
Information for package konsole:
--------------------------------
Repository: openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update
Name: konsole
Version: 15.12.3-23.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
  Konsole is a terminal emulator for the K Desktop Environment.

I have four tabs that come up whenever I log in.
Three are just regular , one is the root.

ALL prompt me for something.
The regular ones are login-equivilent  and run the .profile and .bash_profile,
and prompt me for my SSH/GPG passphrase for that session; i have the relevant
code in the .bash_profile

This is because in the config it is set to

        command:  /bin/bash -l

Please see the man page.

For the root, I have

        command: su -

Again please see the man page.
In short, use of "su -" will set the PATH.
(See note in /etc/default/su)

Please realise that since konsole is running from my KDE login and I logged in
as 'anton', konsole is running as usi=anton.  So the "bash -l" is run as
uid='anton' and uses the ~anton/.bash-profile.

Furhter, the "su -" runs as  uid='anton'
So of course it asks for a password!

What can I do about that?
Well, three is a way to make su password-less, but I don't think it's a good
idea.  (For example: the use of 'wheel' group)

What you may want is a konsole specific solution solution.
That means giving a different "command".

You might, for example, set up a very specific 'sudo' config

--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: konsole

Per Jessen
Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 17/06/17 06:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
>> James Bunnell wrote:
>>
>>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
>>> supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time
>>> i open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to
>>> why this is? thanks.
>>
>> Which app is this exactly?  I don't have any "super user konsole",
>> only
>> konsole.  It always opens with one tab.
>
> I run KDE and Konsole
>
> # zypper info konsole
> Information for package konsole:
> --------------------------------
> Repository: openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update
> Name: konsole
> Version: 15.12.3-23.1
> Arch: x86_64
> Vendor: openSUSE
> Installed: Yes
>   Konsole is a terminal emulator for the K Desktop Environment.
>

> I have four tabs that come up whenever I log in.
> Three are just regular , one is the root.
>
> ALL prompt me for something.

Anton, how is your custom config possibly relevant here?  I also have my
own configs, but they're just as irrelevant.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.3°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Re: konsole

Wols Lists
On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.

Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles
together. I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and
tries to run it as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins
until it goes away - and even if I give it the root password it appears
to do absolutely nothing with it ...

Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.

Cheers,
Wol

Re: konsole

ianseeks-4
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 10:32:00 BST James Bunnell wrote:
> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>
> Jim

Not sure if this is any help. This is how it came out of the box for me.

On my menu under "System" , I have entries for  "Konsole" and "Terminal -
Super User mode".
The "Konsole" menu entry configuration is set up as <konsole>
The "Terminal - Super User Mode" menu entry configuration is set up as <konsole
--profile "Root Shell">

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170615
Qt: 5.7.1

Re: konsole

Harrie Baken-2
Hallo ianseeks, op 17-06-17 om 15:57 schreef je:

> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 10:32:00 BST James Bunnell wrote:
>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
>> supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time
>> i open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as
>> to why this is? thanks.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Not sure if this is any help. This is how it came out of the box for
> me.
>
> On my menu under "System" , I have entries for  "Konsole" and
> "Terminal - Super User mode". The "Konsole" menu entry configuration
> is set up as <konsole> The "Terminal - Super User Mode" menu entry
> configuration is set up as <konsole --profile "Root Shell">

Indeed. If you enter this command in krunner (alt+F2, alt+space, etc.)
you'll start konsole as root.

Harrie

--
Harrie Baken | Tekstbureau TekstBaken
Copy-editing - proofreading (Dutch)

Re: konsole

Anton Aylward-2
On 17/06/17 08:01 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

> Anton, how is your custom config possibly relevant here?  I also have my
> own configs, but they're just as irrelevant.

Irrelevant to what?

I understood quite clearly what James Bunnel meant by the super user konsole
where you didn't; I understood his usage with the password prompt because that's
the way I have it configured.

You, with only one tab, don't seem to "get it".
I have four tabs every time konsole starts, whether that's because I start it
automagically with KDE when it starts, or when I bring it up manually.  That's
in my config.

konsole is very flexible in teh way it starts up, what command you start with.
I can, if I choose, run an application directly on startup.  It doesn't have to
be a shell.

"Obvious" you say?  Well, yes, but that's not the "automatic" you get if you
"File _> New tab".

If you "File -> New Tab -> Root Shell" you get a password prompt for the new
root shell tab to "su -".

Of course that can be changed: look in, variously

~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole/Root Shell.profile
~/.local/share/konsole/Root Shell.profile
Look for

        [General]
        Command=su -

And/Or the system wide defaults at:
/usr/share/kde4/apps/konsole/Root Shell.profile
/usr/share/konsole/Root Shell.profile

Why you get only one tab, I don't know.  Its your config.
obviously you've set it up that way.

Obviously you haven't changed any of the defaults, either for the specific tab,
or for the way the new tab mechanism works.

I think that now that James knows about the mechanism he can make intelligent
decisions about what he wants, experiment with how to set konsole up to his
exact needs.

--
         A: Yes.

Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 17/06/17 08:01 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Anton, how is your custom config possibly relevant here?  I also have
>> my own configs, but they're just as irrelevant.
>
> Irrelevant to what?
>
> I understood quite clearly what James Bunnel meant by the super user
> konsole where you didn't; I understood his usage with the password
> prompt because that's the way I have it configured.
>
> You, with only one tab, don't seem to "get it".

Thanks for being so civil, Anton.  Good show.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.2°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: konsole

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Wols Lists <[hidden email]> [06-17-17 09:44]:

> On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
> > I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
> > to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
> > have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
> >
> Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles
> together. I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and
> tries to run it as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins
> until it goes away - and even if I give it the root password it appears
> to do absolutely nothing with it ...
>
> Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.

or you have *some* configuration borked.  I do not observe the problems
you describe.  I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window
rather than utilizing the regular konsole and simply "su -".  but I have
never opened <user> konsole and be asked to provide a password, in any of
my many years years on suse versions of linux.

Re: konsole

James Bunnell
This is exactly what appears on mine.I get the password prompt on Konsole.

ianseeks:

> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 10:32:00 BST James Bunnell wrote:
>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
>> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
>> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Not sure if this is any help. This is how it came out of the box for me.
>
> On my menu under "System" , I have entries for  "Konsole" and "Terminal -
> Super User mode".
> The "Konsole" menu entry configuration is set up as <konsole>
> The "Terminal - Super User Mode" menu entry configuration is set up as <konsole
> --profile "Root Shell">

Re: konsole

nicholas cunliffe
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 11:32:00 CEST James Bunnell wrote:
> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>
> Jim
and you have checked konsole --list-profiles to see which one is active? and if
require --profile to change default

Re: konsole

James Bunnell

nicholas:
> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 11:32:00 CEST James Bunnell wrote:
>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
>> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
>> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>>
>> Jim
> and you have checked konsole --list-profiles to see which one is active? and if
> require --profile to change default

yes i have, i keep setting the home one active and it reverts back to
root every time. it has a mind of it's own i guess.

Re: konsole

Anton Aylward-2

> * Wols Lists <[hidden email]> [06-17-17 09:44]:
>> On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
>>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
>>> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
>>> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is?
>>> thanks.
>>>
>> Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles together. I
>> find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and tries to run it as
>> root next time. It causes grief for a few logins until it goes away - and
>> even if I give it the root password it appears to do absolutely nothing
>> with it ...
>>
>> Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.
>
> or you have *some* configuration borked.

I agree.
Or perhaps you're "fighting it" rather than making use of the mechanisms it has.

> I do not observe the problems you describe.

neither do I and I'm brutal user at times.

> I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window rather than
> utilizing the regular konsole

I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I never have to "hunt" since (a) I have a number of tabs open on my Konsole, and
its on one of my KDE "virtual desktops", of which I have six configured and can
see them on my bottom panel, and (b) I can add another tab with a "Ctl-Shift-T".
(Or mouse to the menu bar and "File -> New Tab".)

> and simply  "su -".  but I have never opened <user> konsole and be asked to>
> provide a password, in any of my many years years on suse versions of linux.

Since there is the option "File -> New tab -> Root Shell", I question the
necessity of doing a "su -" in an exiting user shell tab.

As I've said. I have four tabs, 3 of them just user and one for root.
The system remembers those when I shut down.
It also remembers the directories I was in for each tab.

I think that some people  in this thread haven't experimented adequately,
drilled down on the various 9broken, so use the web_ help, run it under 'strace'
to see what config files it access .... and so on and so on.

If Per feels I'm being snarky, all power to him.
As far as i'm concerned, looking to see what each item on the menu bar does is a
a fundamental.    Looking to see what config files get used is a fundamental.

As  regular user of konsole in shell mode I have no reason to suspect that it is
buggy.  It seems a well behaved and quite robust program to me.

--
         A: Yes.

On 17/06/17 11:42 AM, James Bunnell wrote:
>> and you have checked konsole --list-profiles to see which one is active? and if
>> require --profile to change default
>>
> yes i have, i keep setting the home one active and it reverts back to
> root every time. it has a mind of it's own i guess.

I suggest that you look at the confid files that I've mentioned earlier in this
thread.

if all else fails, delete

~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole/Root Shell.profile
~/.local/share/konsole/Root Shell.profile

and

~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole
~/.kde4/share/config/session/*
~/.kde4/share/config/konsolerc
./.config/konsolerc*
~/.config/session/*
~/.config/konsolerc
~/.local/share/konsole
~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/konsole

You may not have some of those depending on the version of KDE & konsole you are
running.

--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: konsole

Basil Chupin-2
On 18/06/17 00:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Wols Lists <[hidden email]> [06-17-17 09:44]:
>> On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
>>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
>>> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
>>> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>>>
>> Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles
>> together. I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and
>> tries to run it as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins
>> until it goes away - and even if I give it the root password it appears
>> to do absolutely nothing with it ...
>>
>> Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.
> or you have *some* configuration borked.  I do not observe the problems
> you describe.  I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window
> rather than utilizing the regular konsole and simply "su -".  but I have
> never opened <user> konsole and be asked to provide a password, in any of
> my many years years on suse versions of linux.

Same here -- ne'er a problem with konsole-user and konsole-root.

(Just a point to ponder: I always do a clean install and have never
upgraded from one version of oS to the next version (using, say, zypper
dup). I do this in case baggage remains to affect the newer version.)

BC

--
Government has become a committee for managing the affairs of the rich.

Re: konsole

Basil Chupin-2
On 18/06/17 04:55, Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 17/06/17 10:33 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> * Wols Lists <[hidden email]> [06-17-17 09:44]:
>>>>
>>> Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles together. I
>>> find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and tries to run it as
>>> root next time. It causes grief for a few logins until it goes away - and
>>> even if I give it the root password it appears to do absolutely nothing
>>> with it ...
>>>
>>> Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.
>> or you have *some* configuration borked.
> I agree.
> Or perhaps you're "fighting it" rather than making use of the mechanisms it has.
>
>> I do not observe the problems you describe.
> neither do I and I'm brutal user at times.
>
>> I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window rather than
>> utilizing the regular konsole
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.
> I never have to "hunt" since (a) I have a number of tabs open on my Konsole, and
> its on one of my KDE "virtual desktops", of which I have six configured and can
> see them on my bottom panel, and (b) I can add another tab with a "Ctl-Shift-T".
> (Or mouse to the menu bar and "File -> New Tab".)
>
>> and simply  "su -".  but I have never opened <user> konsole and be asked to>
>> provide a password, in any of my many years years on suse versions of linux.
> Since there is the option "File -> New tab -> Root Shell", I question the
> necessity of doing a "su -" in an exiting user shell tab.
>
> As I've said. I have four tabs, 3 of them just user and one for root.
> The system remembers those when I shut down.
> It also remembers the directories I was in for each tab.
>
> I think that some people  in this thread haven't experimented adequately,
> drilled down on the various 9broken, so use the web_ help, run it under 'strace'
> to see what config files it access .... and so on and so on.
>
> If Per feels I'm being snarky, all power to him.
> As far as i'm concerned, looking to see what each item on the menu bar does is a
> a fundamental.    Looking to see what config files get used is a fundamental.
>
> As  regular user of konsole in shell mode I have no reason to suspect that it is
> buggy.  It seems a well behaved and quite robust program to me.

Anton, I bought my new car 3 years ago and I have never raised the hood
to look at the engine. I just drive the car. I have no interest in what
makes it run -- well, I do know that it needs petrol, which I buy when
it needs it, and I keep the tyres at the correct pressure. That's it.
Oh, and it goes through the car wash when necessary :-).

The OP and others, including myself, have no need to do what you do with
your setup of konsole. For us konsole just works, either in user- or
root-mode. Simple. The OP is simply asking why his konsole is not
working in this simple mode :-).

BC

On 17/06/17 15:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Wols Lists <[hidden email]> [06-17-17 09:44]:
>> On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
>>> I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
>>> to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
>>> have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is? thanks.
>>>
>> Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles
>> together. I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and
>> tries to run it as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins
>> until it goes away - and even if I give it the root password it appears
>> to do absolutely nothing with it ...
>>
>> Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.
>
> or you have *some* configuration borked.  I do not observe the problems
> you describe.  I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window
> rather than utilizing the regular konsole and simply "su -".  but I have
> never opened <user> konsole and be asked to provide a password, in any of
> my many years years on suse versions of linux.

Short answer: I don't like it when computers do weird things for no
obvious reason.

To describe my setup, I leave ONE console open, usually with three or
four tabs. I regularly "su" in one or more of those tabs when I want
access to root.

When I log in, konsole may or may not ask me for the root password. It
only starts if I left a tab in root mode last session, but if I give it
the root password it does nothing - I don't get a root tab. And it will
keep on prompting for the password for the next few logins, even if I
don't su in a tab again ...

As I say. It's weird. And to me inexplicable. I don't like it. (And I
don't particularly want to waste time trying to track down the cause. I
suspect it's not remembering my config properly.)

Cheers,
Wol

Re: konsole

Anton Aylward-2
On 17/06/17 08:00 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Same here -- ne'er a problem with konsole-user and konsole-root.
>
> (Just a point to ponder: I always do a clean install and have never
> upgraded from one version of oS to the next version (using, say, zypper
> dup). I do this in case baggage remains to affect the newer version.)

Hmm.
My setting, that is in ~/.kde[4] and ~/.local and ~/.config, are under /home,
and while i reformat the partition with the OS on, that is the /bin, /lib,
/ust/bin, /usr/lib and so on, I preserve all the stuff under .home (as well as
my web stuff under /srv and other stuff that's under /var such as the DNS
config, the mail caches and pending transactions, cron tables and other schedules).

In particular, the customized settings for konsole are preserved across upgrades
of the OS.  I've used both 'zypper dup' with a DVD.

--
         A: Yes.