kodi

Dave Howorth-3
I just installed kodi but I'm having trouble making it work. I have
several questions:

(1) it doesn't seem to handle the mouse and keyboard well. Moving the
mouse seems to change keyboard focus sometimes, and it 's not clear to
me when I can use the keyboard and when the mouse. There seems to be no
consistency. What's the UI model?

(2) It comes up full screen. Is there any way to persuade it to be a
window?

(3) I have a directory with some audio files that VLC is happy to play.
I imported the top-level directory into kodi and it sees the
sub-directory structure but it sees the leaf directories where the
audio files are as empty. What am I doing wrong?

I installed it because I understand it is a popular and easy to use
program but so far, very much not so.

Re: kodi

Re: kodi

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op zaterdag 30 december 2017 21:03:34 CET schreef Dave Howorth:

> I just installed kodi but I'm having trouble making it work. I have
> several questions:
>
> (1) it doesn't seem to handle the mouse and keyboard well. Moving the
> mouse seems to change keyboard focus sometimes, and it 's not clear to
> me when I can use the keyboard and when the mouse. There seems to be no
> consistency. What's the UI model?
>
> (2) It comes up full screen. Is there any way to persuade it to be a
> window?
>
> (3) I have a directory with some audio files that VLC is happy to play.
> I imported the top-level directory into kodi and it sees the
> sub-directory structure but it sees the leaf directories where the
> audio files are as empty. What am I doing wrong?
>
> I installed it because I understand it is a popular and easy to use
> program but so far, very much not so.
Kodi goes to window-mode by " \ " IIRC

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: kodi

Re: kodi

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:08:18 +0100
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op zaterdag 30 december 2017 21:03:34 CET schreef Dave Howorth:
> > I just installed kodi but I'm having trouble making it work. I have
> > several questions:
> >
> > (1) it doesn't seem to handle the mouse and keyboard well. Moving
> > the mouse seems to change keyboard focus sometimes, and it 's not
> > clear to me when I can use the keyboard and when the mouse. There
> > seems to be no consistency. What's the UI model?
> >
> > (2) It comes up full screen. Is there any way to persuade it to be a
> > window?
> >
> > (3) I have a directory with some audio files that VLC is happy to
> > play. I imported the top-level directory into kodi and it sees the
> > sub-directory structure but it sees the leaf directories where the
> > audio files are as empty. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > I installed it because I understand it is a popular and easy to use
> > program but so far, very much not so.
> Kodi goes to window-mode by " \ " IIRC

Thanks, that works, at least!

Re: kodi

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:15:01 +0100 (CET)
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, 2017-12-30 at 21:28 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > On Saturday, 2017-12-30 at 20:03 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >
> >>  I just installed kodi but I'm having trouble making it work. I
> >> have several questions:
>
> >>  (3) I have a directory with some audio files that VLC is happy to
> >> play. I imported the top-level directory into kodi and it sees the
> >>  sub-directory structure but it sees the leaf directories where the
> >>  audio files are as empty. What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >>  I installed it because I understand it is a popular and easy to
> >> use program but so far, very much not so.
> >
> > It is confusing initially, I agree. I had the same problem.
> >
> > You do not need to import directories, but configure an entry for
> > them under "Music" main menu. Huh, I have to go out now.
>
> It says there is an empty collection, fill it. It proposes to enter
> the archive section or remove entry from menu. I enter. Add music. A
> dialog opens. Browse or search. The list is a bit confusing, but one
> entry is for the filesystem root. Select the directory that has the
> music, then it will prompt for a name to give, by default the
> directory name. Then Ok.

That's what I did. I've just done it again.

> It will scan it. In mine it then creates
> list of authors, albums, genres,.. a lot.

On my machine it finishes scanning with a music source called Music
(the name of the top-level directory) and the directory structure under
that, but not the actual music files. The second time produced the same
but with the source called Music(2). :(

> Kodi is designed for media centers, not exactly for computers.

Well, it claims to run on pretty much anything. So far it hasn't
crashed.

Re: kodi

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-12-31 00:27, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:15:01 +0100 (CET)
> "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It is confusing initially, I agree. I had the same problem.
>>>
>>> You do not need to import directories, but configure an entry for
>>> them under "Music" main menu. Huh, I have to go out now.
>>
>> It says there is an empty collection, fill it. It proposes to enter
>> the archive section or remove entry from menu. I enter. Add music. A
>> dialog opens. Browse or search. The list is a bit confusing, but one
>> entry is for the filesystem root. Select the directory that has the
>> music, then it will prompt for a name to give, by default the
>> directory name. Then Ok.
>
> That's what I did. I've just done it again.
>
>> It will scan it. In mine it then creates
>> list of authors, albums, genres,.. a lot.
>
> On my machine it finishes scanning with a music source called Music
> (the name of the top-level directory) and the directory structure under
> that, but not the actual music files. The second time produced the same
> but with the source called Music(2). :(
I had not used it before for music and I don't quite like it.

Try this. On the top of the "Music" page I have a row named
"Categories". At the right end of that row it will say "Archives". This
is the actual directory and file view. Hit enter on one of the files and
it starts playing that file, then the next...

>> Kodi is designed for media centers, not exactly for computers.
>
> Well, it claims to run on pretty much anything. So far it hasn't
> crashed.

Yes, it does runs on a lot of hardware, it is true. Android phones, for
instance.

It is a very good program :-)

What I meant with "not exactly for computers" I meant that it is often
used on things that do not have actually a keyboard and mouse. It may be
an infrared remote like on TVs.

For playing music on a computer I prefer other things, like Clementine,
Amarok, Audacious... there are a number of good audio players, some
complex, some simple.

Re: kodi

Dave Howorth-3
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:42:58 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-12-31 00:27, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:15:01 +0100 (CET)

> >> It says there is an empty collection, fill it. It proposes to enter
> >> the archive section or remove entry from menu. I enter. Add music.
> >> A dialog opens. Browse or search. The list is a bit confusing, but
> >> one entry is for the filesystem root. Select the directory that
> >> has the music, then it will prompt for a name to give, by default
> >> the directory name. Then Ok.
> >
> > That's what I did. I've just done it again.
> >
> >> It will scan it. In mine it then creates
> >> list of authors, albums, genres,.. a lot.
> >
> > On my machine it finishes scanning with a music source called Music
> > (the name of the top-level directory) and the directory structure
> > under that, but not the actual music files. The second time
> > produced the same but with the source called Music(2). :(
>
> I had not used it before for music and I don't quite like it.
>
> Try this. On the top of the "Music" page I have a row named
> "Categories".

Ah, I don't? I have a list with Playlists at the top, Files in the
middle and Music add-ons at the bottom.

> At the right end of that row it will say "Archives".

I don't see Archives anywhere.

> This is the actual directory and file view.

The Files item is the actual directory and file view on my machine.

> Hit enter on one of the files and it starts playing that file, then
> the next...

But as I say, it shows me the directory structure but there are no
files shown in the directories.

> >> Kodi is designed for media centers, not exactly for computers.
> >
> > Well, it claims to run on pretty much anything. So far it hasn't
> > crashed.
>
> Yes, it does runs on a lot of hardware, it is true. Android phones,
> for instance.
>
> It is a very good program :-)
>

> What I meant with "not exactly for computers" I meant that it is often
> used on things that do not have actually a keyboard and mouse. It may
> be an infrared remote like on TVs.
>

> For playing music on a computer I prefer other things, like
> Clementine, Amarok, Audacious... there are a number of good audio
> players, some complex, some simple.

Yeah, I was just experimenting. I tried its photo album and find that
worse than various other programs, so I thought I'd try the music and
so far that's a total fail. I don't watch videos much on my PC. So I
don't think kodi is a very good program for me.

Re: kodi

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op zondag 31 december 2017 12:52:10 CET schreef Dave Howorth:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:42:58 +0100
>
> "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 2017-12-31 00:27, Dave Howorth wrote:

> > > That's what I did. I've just done it again.

> > > On my machine it finishes scanning with a music source called Music
> > > (the name of the top-level directory) and the directory structure
> > > under that, but not the actual music files. The second time
> > > produced the same but with the source called Music(2). :(
> >
> > I had not used it before for music and I don't quite like it.
> >
> > Try this. On the top of the "Music" page I have a row named
> > "Categories".
>
> Ah, I don't? I have a list with Playlists at the top, Files in the
> middle and Music add-ons at the bottom.
>
> > At the right end of that row it will say "Archives".
>
> I don't see Archives anywhere.
>
> > This is the actual directory and file view.
>
> The Files item is the actual directory and file view on my machine.
>
> > Hit enter on one of the files and it starts playing that file, then
> > the next...
>
> But as I say, it shows me the directory structure but there are no
> files shown in the directories.

> > > Well, it claims to run on pretty much anything. So far it hasn't
> > > crashed.
> >
> > Yes, it does runs on a lot of hardware, it is true. Android phones,
> > for instance.
> >
> > It is a very good program :-)
> >

> > What I meant with "not exactly for computers" I meant that it is often
> > used on things that do not have actually a keyboard and mouse. It may
> > be an infrared remote like on TVs.
> >

> > For playing music on a computer I prefer other things, like
> > Clementine, Amarok, Audacious... there are a number of good audio
> > players, some complex, some simple.
>
> Yeah, I was just experimenting. I tried its photo album and find that
> worse than various other programs, so I thought I'd try the music and
> so far that's a total fail. I don't watch videos much on my PC. So I
> don't think kodi is a very good program for me.

There are some good Android apps to remotely control Kodi, and it has a nice
webinterface ( enable first ). JFYI.

On Sunday, 2017-12-31 at 11:52 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> On my machine it finishes scanning with a music source called Music
>>> (the name of the top-level directory) and the directory structure
>>> under that, but not the actual music files. The second time
>>> produced the same but with the source called Music(2). :(
>>
>> I had not used it before for music and I don't quite like it.
>>
>> Try this. On the top of the "Music" page I have a row named
>> "Categories".
>
> Ah, I don't? I have a list with Playlists at the top, Files in the
> middle and Music add-ons at the bottom.
>
>> At the right end of that row it will say "Archives".
>
> I don't see Archives anywhere.
>
>> This is the actual directory and file view.
>
> The Files item is the actual directory and file view on my machine.

I was translating from Spanish. It is the same thing.

>> Hit enter on one of the files and it starts playing that file, then
>> the next...
>
> But as I say, it shows me the directory structure but there are no
> files shown in the directories.

Maybe you did not install it complete (from packman) and it does not
recognize the extensions.

>>> Well, it claims to run on pretty much anything. So far it hasn't
>>> crashed.
>>
>> Yes, it does runs on a lot of hardware, it is true. Android phones,
>> for instance.
>>
>> It is a very good program :-)
>>

>> What I meant with "not exactly for computers" I meant that it is often
>> used on things that do not have actually a keyboard and mouse. It may
>> be an infrared remote like on TVs.
>>

>> For playing music on a computer I prefer other things, like
>> Clementine, Amarok, Audacious... there are a number of good audio
>> players, some complex, some simple.
>
> Yeah, I was just experimenting. I tried its photo album and find that
> worse than various other programs, so I thought I'd try the music and
> so far that's a total fail. I don't watch videos much on my PC. So I
> don't think kodi is a very good program for me.

I did not know it handled photos. It is a good idea for the TV set on the
sitting room ;-)

Re: kodi

Dave Howorth-3
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:34:12 +0100 (CET)
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I had not used it before for music and I don't quite like it.
> >>
> >> Try this. On the top of the "Music" page I have a row named
> >> "Categories".
> >
> > Ah, I don't? I have a list with Playlists at the top, Files in the
> > middle and Music add-ons at the bottom.
> >
> >> At the right end of that row it will say "Archives".
> >
> > I don't see Archives anywhere.
> >
> >> This is the actual directory and file view.
> >
> > The Files item is the actual directory and file view on my
> > machine.
>
> I was translating from Spanish. It is the same thing.

Ah, OK.

> >> Hit enter on one of the files and it starts playing that file, then
> >> the next...
> >
> > But as I say, it shows me the directory structure but there are no
> > files shown in the directories.
>
> Maybe you did not install it complete (from packman) and it does not
> recognize the extensions.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I installed kodi from packman. I
read somewhere that it does not use file extensions to recognize files,
and my music filenames do not have extensions. They are tagged ID3
version 2.3.0 according to 'file' though.

Or did you mean addons? I didn't install any addons. There are so
manyand I've no idea what they all do. I assume that kodi will be smart
enough to tell me if it needs one.

> >> Yes, it does runs on a lot of hardware, it is true. Android phones,
> >> for instance.
> >>
> >> It is a very good program :-)
> >>

> >> What I meant with "not exactly for computers" I meant that it is
> >> often used on things that do not have actually a keyboard and
> >> mouse. It may be an infrared remote like on TVs.
> >>

> >> For playing music on a computer I prefer other things, like
> >> Clementine, Amarok, Audacious... there are a number of good audio
> >> players, some complex, some simple.
> >
> > Yeah, I was just experimenting. I tried its photo album and find
> > that worse than various other programs, so I thought I'd try the
> > music and so far that's a total fail. I don't watch videos much on
> > my PC. So I don't think kodi is a very good program for me.
>
> I did not know it handled photos. It is a good idea for the TV set on
> the sitting room ;-)

Showing photos from a USB stick is about the only thing my TV is smart
enough to do! :) (I like a dumb TV that doesn't phone home or let some
third-party access it. Ditto with infrared remotes versus devices
connected over the intertubes.)

Re: kodi

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-12-31 16:34, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:34:12 +0100 (CET) "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

>> I was translating from Spanish. It is the same thing.
>
> Ah, OK.

>>> But as I say, it shows me the directory structure but there are no
>>> files shown in the directories.
>>
>> Maybe you did not install it complete (from packman) and it does not
>> recognize the extensions.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I installed kodi from packman. I
> read somewhere that it does not use file extensions to recognize files,
> and my music filenames do not have extensions. They are tagged ID3
> version 2.3.0 according to 'file' though.
>
> Or did you mean addons? I didn't install any addons. There are so
> manyand I've no idea what they all do. I assume that kodi will be smart
> enough to tell me if it needs one.
I don't know if it is. I also do not know which addons are necessary, I
installed the entire bunch.

>> I did not know it handled photos. It is a good idea for the TV set on
>> the sitting room ;-)
>
> Showing photos from a USB stick is about the only thing my TV is smart
> enough to do! :) (I like a dumb TV that doesn't phone home or let some
> third-party access it. Ditto with infrared remotes versus devices
> connected over the intertubes.)

:-)