kmail configuration with DE Language

Günther J. Niederwimmer
Hello,
It is no longer possibel to change the language to german I can't found a way
to configure a User with ther german language.

I install aspell german but the only language i find in the configure is
english-us.

My system is thubleweed with all updates.

whote is broken in KDE update
Please Help

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

  Günther J. Niederwimmer

Re: kmail configuration with DE Language

Carlos E. R.-2
On 04/08/2020 20.56, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:

> Hello,
> It is no longer possibel to change the language to german I can't found a way
> to configure a User with ther german language.
>
> I install aspell german but the only language i find in the configure is
> english-us.
>
> My system is thubleweed with all updates.
>
> whote is broken in KDE update
> Please Help

AFAIK, you (normally) do not change the language of an application, you
change the entire desktop.

(if you don't get an answer here on that, please ask in the
[hidden email] mail list, or the general purpose
[hidden email])

                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Re: kmail configuration with DE Language

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne úterý 4. srpna 2020 20:56:49 CEST, Günther J. Niederwimmer napsal(a):
> It is no longer possibel to change the language to german I can't found
> a way to configure a User with ther german language.

I'm not sure what do You mean here... You can change language in YaST (and it
will then install needed packages), in KDE Control Center, or for single KDE
app (menu Settings | Set Language).

> I install aspell german but the only language i find in the configure is
> english-us.

AFAIK *spell packages are only for spell checking (and aspell is outdated
anyway). For KDE based apps You need respective *-lang packages, they contain
the translations.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux
https://www.opensuse.org/

Re: kmail configuration with DE Language

Anton Aylward-2
On 05/08/2020 06:45, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> AFAIK, you (normally) do not change the language of an application, you change the
> entire desktop.

In my databaseofdotsigquotes:

        That's what I love about GUIs:
        They make simple tasks easier, and complex tasks impossible.
          -- John William Chambless

And you can also say this about GUIS:

        ... it is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness
        of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting
        them to work at all.  In other words... their fundamental
        design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial
        design flaws.
        -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, on the products
           of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Now if it were the command line you could set, just for that one command the
LANGUAGE environment variable and any other environment settings needed.
Hence you CAN change the language of a single application.

But as you say, with a desktop. you have to change the whole thing.
Now is that a superficial feature or a fundamental feature?

--
Where we cannot invent, we may at least improve.
         -- Charles Caleb Colton

Re: kmail configuration with DE Language

Günther J. Niederwimmer

I mean I have wrote a mistake,

I mean in the User Konfig in  Kmail I have setup user1.example.com  for german
dictionary user1_e....... for english dictionary u.s.w

But now I have only a us dictionary for all configured user.

I have installed the aspell dictionary for the languages, but this is not
longer working have I to change something

Is something changed in kmail ?

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

  Günther J. Niederwimmer

Re: kmail configuration with DE Language

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2020, 02:30:57 schrieb Günther J. Niederwimmer:
> I have installed the aspell dictionary for the languages, but this is not
> longer working have I to change something
Aspell (or its dictionaries) is not used anymore since years at least.

You need to install the corresponding myspell-xxx packages.
For german these are available: (here on Leap 15.2 at least, but I don't think
it's different on Tumbleweed)
 myspell-de
 myspell-de_AT
 myspell-de_CH
 myspell-de_DE

> Is something changed in kmail ?
Unlikely.
It only uses KDE Frameworks' sonnet library for spellchecking.

The change to hunspell was already done in the switch from KDE4 to KF5.
Before (i.e. in kdelibs4) it used enchant, which did support aspell as well,
but also hunspell.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, 7. August 2020, 11:56:18 CEST schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2020, 02:30:57 schrieb Günther J. Niederwimmer:
> > I have installed the aspell dictionary for the languages, but this is not
> > longer working have I to change something
>
> Aspell (or its dictionaries) is not used anymore since years at least.
>
> You need to install the corresponding myspell-xxx packages.
> For german these are available: (here on Leap 15.2 at least, but I don't
> think it's different on Tumbleweed)
>  myspell-de
>  myspell-de_AT
>  myspell-de_CH
>  myspell-de_DE

Thanks for the help, I don't found it over goo..
Now it works ;-)