kmail and kwallet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

kmail and kwallet

eddie-83
I do not want to use kwallet.  However, kmail the latest version no
longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time.  Does anyone
know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?

Thanks
Eddie
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

James Knott
eddie wrote:
> Does anyone
> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?

I use both Thunderbird & Seamonkey.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

scott-268
In reply to this post by eddie-83
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:58:01PM +0000, eddie wrote:
> I do not want to use kwallet.  However, kmail the latest version no
> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time.  Does anyone
> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?

have you considered mutt?

sc
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

Sven Burmeister
In reply to this post by eddie-83
Am Freitag, 20. Januar 2012, 15:58:01 schrieb eddie:
> I do not want to use kwallet.  However, kmail the latest version no
> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time.  Does anyone
> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?

What'S the reason not to use kwallet? If you leave the password empty and
allow every app to access it you won't even notice that you are using kwallet.
Storing the password in a config file is a bad idea and thus not supported
anymore AFAIK.

Sven
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

George Olson (SUSE list)
In reply to this post by eddie-83
On 01/20/2012 11:58 PM, eddie wrote:
> I do not want to use kwallet.  However, kmail the latest version no
> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time.  Does anyone
> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?
>
> Thanks
> Eddie

I tried to use kmail, and besides the kwallet connection you mentioned,
I found that it took more than 6 hours to download all the imap mails I
have stored in 2 separate imap accounts. I have about 2000 emails stored
in various categories and different folders on both accounts.

Then I installed thunderbird and setup my imap accounts, and within 5
minutes I had all the emails downloaded from both accounts and was able
to begin using the program. I also use lightning and the google calendar
interface to be able to synchronize it all and make it a very effective PIM.

George
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

John Andersen-2
On 1/27/2012 6:12 PM, George Olson wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 11:58 PM, eddie wrote:
>> I do not want to use kwallet. However, kmail the latest version no
>> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
>> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time. Does anyone
>> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Eddie
>
> I tried to use kmail, and besides the kwallet connection you mentioned, I found that it took more than 6 hours to download all the imap
> mails I have stored in 2 separate imap accounts. I have about 2000 emails stored in various categories and different folders on both accounts.
>
> Then I installed thunderbird and setup my imap accounts, and within 5 minutes I had all the emails downloaded from both accounts and was
> able to begin using the program. I also use lightning and the google calendar interface to be able to synchronize it all and make it a very
> effective PIM.
>
> George

The idea of Imap is NOT to download the mail.
Maybe the headers, maybe just fields from the headers, but never the entire mail, until you click on a message.

You might have set you kmail up to use off-line mode, where it tries to download all of the message bodies,
like it would for a pop3 account, so you could take it on your laptop on an airplane for example.

I suggest your test was not informative, because the two MUAs were not playing by the same rules.


--
_____________________________________
---This space for rent---
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

George Olson (SUSE list)
On 01/28/2012 10:10 AM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 1/27/2012 6:12 PM, George Olson wrote:
>> On 01/20/2012 11:58 PM, eddie wrote:
>>> I do not want to use kwallet. However, kmail the latest version no
>>> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I can
>>> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time. Does anyone
>>> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Eddie
>>
>> I tried to use kmail, and besides the kwallet connection you
>> mentioned, I found that it took more than 6 hours to download all the
>> imap
>> mails I have stored in 2 separate imap accounts. I have about 2000
>> emails stored in various categories and different folders on both
>> accounts.
>>
>> Then I installed thunderbird and setup my imap accounts, and within 5
>> minutes I had all the emails downloaded from both accounts and was
>> able to begin using the program. I also use lightning and the google
>> calendar interface to be able to synchronize it all and make it a very
>> effective PIM.
>>
>> George
>
> The idea of Imap is NOT to download the mail.
> Maybe the headers, maybe just fields from the headers, but never the
> entire mail, until you click on a message.
>
> You might have set you kmail up to use off-line mode, where it tries to
> download all of the message bodies,
> like it would for a pop3 account, so you could take it on your laptop on
> an airplane for example.
>
> I suggest your test was not informative, because the two MUAs were not
> playing by the same rules.
>
>

Yes that's true. Perhaps "download" is the wrong term to use. In
thunderbird I have the box checked that says "keep messages for this
account on this computer".  The kmail equivalent (I assume) which I had
checked was "configure for offline use" or something like that.

So on thunderbird, even though I am using IMAP, if my laptop is not
connected to the network I can still see the emails - at least the
emails that I have already opened.

When I was connected to the network I could get on and use thunderbird
right away. With kmail2 I was just waiting and waiting and waiting for
it to load all the emails. I could not open anything up or write an
email. I don't know if it was loading only headers or trying to download
every single email.

I also tried in kmail2 to configure a pop3 account which I have, and it
would connect but it would never show the account in the tree on the
left side. I messed around with it for hours and couldn't make it work.

I know a lot of people have found kmail to work great and love it. I
just haven't been able to make it work for me.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

Ricardo Chung
On Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:46:59 AM George Olson wrote:

> On 01/28/2012 10:10 AM, John Andersen wrote:
> > On 1/27/2012 6:12 PM, George Olson wrote:
> >> On 01/20/2012 11:58 PM, eddie wrote:
> >>> I do not want to use kwallet. However, kmail the latest version no
> >>> longer has the option to store the password otherwise (as far as I
> >>> can
> >>> tell). Therefore I have to enter my password each time. Does anyone
> >>> know of an alternative perhaps even as alternative mail client?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks
> >>> Eddie
> >>
> >> I tried to use kmail, and besides the kwallet connection you
> >> mentioned, I found that it took more than 6 hours to download all the
> >> imap
> >> mails I have stored in 2 separate imap accounts. I have about 2000
> >> emails stored in various categories and different folders on both
> >> accounts.
> >>
> >> Then I installed thunderbird and setup my imap accounts, and within 5
> >> minutes I had all the emails downloaded from both accounts and was
> >> able to begin using the program. I also use lightning and the google
> >> calendar interface to be able to synchronize it all and make it a very
> >> effective PIM.
> >>
> >> George
> >
> > The idea of Imap is NOT to download the mail.
> > Maybe the headers, maybe just fields from the headers, but never the
> > entire mail, until you click on a message.
> >
> > You might have set you kmail up to use off-line mode, where it tries to
> > download all of the message bodies,
> > like it would for a pop3 account, so you could take it on your laptop on
> > an airplane for example.
> >
> > I suggest your test was not informative, because the two MUAs were not
> > playing by the same rules.
>
> Yes that's true. Perhaps "download" is the wrong term to use. In
> thunderbird I have the box checked that says "keep messages for this
> account on this computer".  The kmail equivalent (I assume) which I had
> checked was "configure for offline use" or something like that.
>
> So on thunderbird, even though I am using IMAP, if my laptop is not
> connected to the network I can still see the emails - at least the
> emails that I have already opened.
>
> When I was connected to the network I could get on and use thunderbird
> right away. With kmail2 I was just waiting and waiting and waiting for
> it to load all the emails. I could not open anything up or write an
> email. I don't know if it was loading only headers or trying to download
> every single email.
>
> I also tried in kmail2 to configure a pop3 account which I have, and it
> would connect but it would never show the account in the tree on the
> left side. I messed around with it for hours and couldn't make it work.
>
> I know a lot of people have found kmail to work great and love it. I
> just haven't been able to make it work for me.

In my case I found useful setup one imap account first with one profile. Let
the mails come into my computer to read them offline. (KMail2). Test SMTP for
the first account. When everything is completed and there is no folder
subscriptions left out went to the second imap account with another profile.
Let synch all the subscribed folder finished. Test the second SMTP account
too. And Voila, everything works perfectly fast.

Hope this help you too.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Chung | Panama
Linux Ambassador
openSUSE Projects
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

James Knott
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
John Andersen wrote:
> The idea of Imap is NOT to download the mail.
> Maybe the headers, maybe just fields from the headers, but never the
> entire mail, until you click on a message.

Some email apps support an off-line mode, where you download your email
and then disconnect from the internet.  You certainly need that if
you're still using a dial up or other time limited connection.  Notebook
users will often download messages too.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kmail and kwallet

John Andersen-2
On 1/28/2012 12:39 PM, James Knott wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
>> The idea of Imap is NOT to download the mail.
>> Maybe the headers, maybe just fields from the headers, but never the entire mail, until you click on a message.
>
> Some email apps support an off-line mode, where you download your email and then disconnect from the internet. You certainly need that if
> you're still using a dial up or other time limited connection. Notebook users will often download messages too.
>

And had you read the rest of the message you quoted before rushing to reply you would have seen this
was already addressed.

--
_____________________________________
---This space for rent---
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]