kmail and akonadiserver:

Constant Brouerius van Nidek
Seems that kmail starts behaving even better after the last three
updates. But sending this email did not work from kmail. Do not know if
and when it starts working.

 I can now delete emails without running into problems.
Still my mail filter is not working properly with the incomming mail from
three pop3 accounts.
If I let the filter run in the  automatic filter mode I get a lot of
duplicates. Trying to remove dups does not work. Manualy filtering is the
only solution folowed by akonadictl fsck/ vacuum/ restart.

Looking into the akonadictl restart message I found following info which
looks like an error message:

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: "Cannot connect to agent instance with
identifier 'akonadi_maildir_resource_0', error message: ''"

Could this be the culprit or should I look further? How is the general
feeling about the overall health of kmail?

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170615
Qt: 5.9.0

Re: kmail and akonadiserver:

ianseeks-4
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 04:06:35 BST Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> Seems that kmail starts behaving even better after the last three
> updates. But sending this email did not work from kmail. Do not know if
> and when it starts working.
Agree

>  I can now delete emails without running into problems.
Never had this problem

> Still my mail filter is not working properly with the incomming mail from
> three pop3 accounts.
> If I let the filter run in the  automatic filter mode I get a lot of
> duplicates. Trying to remove dups does not work. Manualy filtering is the
> only solution folowed by akonadictl fsck/ vacuum/ restart.
Agree, auto filtering is still bad, as well as duplicates i also get emails in
folders with no body. I also occasionally get duplicates on running manually
as well and also get emails from months ago reappearing.

> Looking into the akonadictl restart message I found following info which
> looks like an error message:
>
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: "Cannot connect to agent instance with
> identifier 'akonadi_maildir_resource_0', error message: ''"
I don't know why the resource can't have a sensible informative name

> Could this be the culprit or should I look further? How is the general
> feeling about the overall health of kmail?

I don't think kmail is the problem, its akonadi.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170615
Qt: 5.7.1

Re: kmail and akonadiserver:

John Andersen-2
On 06/17/2017 02:28 AM, ianseeks wrote:
>> Could this be the culprit or should I look further? How is the general
>> feeling about the overall health of kmail?
> I don't think kmail is the problem, its akonadi.

Until one works without the other, I can't imagine how you could make that claim.

Personally, everything that requires akonadi is banned from all my KDE
installations. And that includes Kmail, unfortunately.

They keep adding pieces to akonadi to where it is composed
of so many executables it has taken on a life of its own.
I think it needs a fresh coat of bulldozer.

Re: kmail and akonadiserver:

ianseeks-4
On Monday, 19 June 2017 22:40:14 BST John Andersen wrote:
> On 06/17/2017 02:28 AM, ianseeks wrote:
> >> Could this be the culprit or should I look further? How is the general
> >> feeling about the overall health of kmail?
> >
> > I don't think kmail is the problem, its akonadi.
>
> Until one works without the other, I can't imagine how you could make that
> claim.
The way i see it is that akonadi is a service that kmail relies on. I know its
difficult sometimes to separate the two for bug logging, i used to blame kmail
for things crapping out but the problems were more often than not fixed in
akonadi and sometimes a config change in mysql.conf.

I  wouldn't blame kwrite for failing to write a file to disk if the disk sub
system failed due to a bug although my knee jerk reaction would be to do that.

> Personally, everything that requires akonadi is banned from all my KDE
> installations. And that includes Kmail, unfortunately.
I got close to that, i was spitting feathers all over the place at times.

> They keep adding pieces to akonadi to where it is composed
> of so many executables it has taken on a life of its own.
> I think it needs a fresh coat of bulldozer.
It definitely needs a lot more debugging. The only way i can help is to log
bugs and hopefully in the correct place.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170619
Qt: 5.7.1