kde/plasma and wayland

Alin M Elena
Since Martin called last month for kde with wayland to be tested i kept
putting it back. I finally moved to plasma session with wayland.
Good news is it started and opened the kde wallet which is progress compared
with last time I tried.

there are however few other things that seem not to work
1. starting kontact or any application from suite fails

with

Using Wayland-EGL
WebEngine compiled with X11 support, however qpa backend is not xcb. This may
fail.

[1119/102016.179014:WARNING:stack_trace_posix.cc(648)] Failed to open file: /

home/drFaustroll/#6170402 (deleted)

Error: No such file or directory

[7048:7073:1119/102016.298815:ERROR:gl_implementation.cc(246)] Failed to load

/usr/bin/libGLESv2.so: /usr/bin/libGLESv2.so: cannot open shared object file:

No such file or directory

Using the 'xdg-shell-v6' shell integration

[7048:7073:1119/102016.595546:ERROR:gl_surface_qt.cpp(701)] Requested OpenGL

implementation is not supported. Implementation: 0

*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated

starting with xcb as backend and it runs.

2. starting yast2 as user also fails after being prompted by password, used the

xhost warkaround

3. second screen usage. at least one gets signal on both screens.... but good

part stops there.

once the cable is in plasma crashes.

I have the panel of the laptop 4k the external screen 4k. scaling gets set to

1x for both rather than 2

quality of rendering is bad.... i suspect the scaling i borked

alt+f2 starts still on the laptop screen despite the primary screen being the external one.

4. spectacle seems to not be able to take rectangle areas screenshots.

Now my question. How do we report the bugs knowing that in the past people did not like to look at bugs coming from KDE:Unstable

here are my repos for unstable.

zypper lr -d | grep Unstable

1 | KDE_Unstable_Applications | Git versions of KDE Applications (Fully KF5
Based !!) (KDE_Unstable_Frameworks) | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 90
| rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Unstable:/
Applications/KDE_Unstable_Frameworks_openSUSE_Factory/ |

2 | KDE_Unstable_Extra | Unstable KDE Applications
(KDE_Unstable_Frameworks_openSUSE_Factory) | Yes | (r ) Yes
| Yes | 90 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/
KDE:/Unstable:/Extra/KDE_Unstable_Frameworks_openSUSE_Factory/ |

3 | KDE_Unstable_Frameworks | The new KDE Frameworks 5 based on Qt 5.7
(openSUSE_Factory) | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes |
90 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Unstable:/
Frameworks/openSUSE_Factory/ |

4 | KDE_Unstable_Qt | Latest version of Qt needed by the
KDE:Unstable repostories (openSUSE_Tumbleweed) | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes
| 90 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/
Unstable:/Qt/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ |

Regards,
Alin

Re: kde/plasma and wayland

Fabian Vogt-2
Hi,

Am Sonntag, 19. November 2017, 11:51:44 CET schrieb Alin Marin Elena:

> Since Martin called last month for kde with wayland to be tested i kept
> putting it back. I finally moved to plasma session with wayland.
> Good news is it started and opened the kde wallet which is progress compared
> with last time I tried.
>
> there are however few other things that seem not to work
> 1. starting kontact or any application from suite fails
>
> with
>
> Using Wayland-EGL
> WebEngine compiled with X11 support, however qpa backend is not xcb. This may
> fail.
>
> starting with xcb as backend and it runs.

Looks like the message is right. For now you should forget about WebEngine
on wayland.

[...]
> 2. starting yast2 as user also fails after being prompted by password, used the
>
> xhost warkaround

That's because the YaST launcher uses xdg-su.
You can start a true wayland YaST by doing the xhost workaround (only needed
because of https://github.com/libyui/libyui-qt/issues/75) and running
sudo -E /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2controlcenter instead.

> 3. second screen usage. at least one gets signal on both screens.... but good
>
> part stops there.
>
> once the cable is in plasma crashes.
>
> I have the panel of the laptop 4k the external screen 4k. scaling gets set to
>
> 1x for both rather than 2
>
> quality of rendering is bad.... i suspect the scaling i borked
>
> alt+f2 starts still on the laptop screen despite the primary screen being the external one.

Try to search for those bugs upstream, if you can't find them, create reports.

> 4. spectacle seems to not be able to take rectangle areas screenshots.
>
> Now my question. How do we report the bugs knowing that in the past people did not like to look at bugs coming from KDE:Unstable

Report them on bugs.kde.org.

Cheers,
Fabian