initrd generation during RPM install

Andrei Borzenkov
I thought we have deferred initrd generation to posttrans. I just
updated TW and initrd was regenerated 4 times

- after kernel-default
- after virtualbox kmp
- after udev
- after all packages have been installed

Does it work as intended or something is missing?

Re: initrd generation during RPM install

Ken Schneider - openSUSE

> I thought we have deferred initrd generation to posttrans. I just
> updated TW and initrd was regenerated 4 times
>
> - after kernel-default
> - after virtualbox kmp
> - after udev
> - after all packages have been installed
>
> Does it work as intended or something is missing?

+1

--
Ken
linux since 1994

Re: initrd generation during RPM install

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mardi, 16 août 2016 08.41:19 h CEST Ken Schneider wrote:

> On 08/16/2016 02:56 AM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> > I thought we have deferred initrd generation to posttrans. I just
> > updated TW and initrd was regenerated 4 times
> >
> > - after kernel-default
> > - after virtualbox kmp
> > - after udev
> > - after all packages have been installed
> >
> > Does it work as intended or something is missing?
>
> +1

What I've seen is this behaviour, initrd rebuild at the end.
But I'm using the forced DownloadInAdvance mode of zypper.

Now I should try to reinstall completely a TW from scratch to see how much
time initrd is builded.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: [opensuse-kernel] initrd generation during RPM install

Michal Marek
On 2016-08-16 08:56, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> I thought we have deferred initrd generation to posttrans. I just
> updated TW and initrd was regenerated 4 times
>
> - after kernel-default

This is intended, so that there is an initrd right after the kernel has
been updated.

> - after virtualbox kmp
> - after udev
> - after all packages have been installed

These should be deferred to posttrans, because in case of a failed
install, there will already be a working initrd with the previous
version of the tools. Also, the packages regenerated the initrd for all
kernels, which takes long. Please submit bugreports with y2logs.

Michal

Re: [opensuse-kernel] initrd generation during RPM install

Olaf Hering-2
Am 19.08.2016 um 12:45 schrieb Michal Marek:
>> - after kernel-default
> This is intended, so that there is an initrd right after the kernel has
> been updated.

Once zypper dup starts to install the first package the system is in an
inconsistant state, and it remains in that inconsistant state until the
very last %posttrans is finished. There is little point in running
mkinitrd more than once during the whole transaction.

Olaf

Re: [opensuse-kernel] initrd generation during RPM install

Jiri Slaby-6
On 08/19/2016, 02:18 PM, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Am 19.08.2016 um 12:45 schrieb Michal Marek:
>>> - after kernel-default
>> This is intended, so that there is an initrd right after the kernel has
>> been updated.
>
> Once zypper dup starts to install the first package the system is in an
> inconsistant state, and it remains in that inconsistant state until the
> very last %posttrans is finished. There is little point in running
> mkinitrd more than once during the whole transaction.

Except the kernel would be installed very first. Can we do it?

--
js
suse labs

Am 19.08.2016 um 16:26 schrieb Michal Marek:
> There are different levels of inconsistent, though. With a kernel and
> initrd, you will be able to at least mount the root filesystem. But I
> do not insist on doing it this way..

If there is just one place for mkinitrd, in %posttrans, the current
kernel+initrd entries are still usable. There are likely ways to check
if multiversion is enabled, and defer mkinitrd in this case.

>> Except the kernel would be installed very first. Can we do it?

This would still call mkinitrd more than once, for little gain.

Olaf