i-bus aktualisiert

Simon Becherer

after update from today  (20171102)
after logging into kde
i got a message:

"i-bus aktualisiert"
"super + leerzeichen ist nun der standart hotkey"

in english something like:
i-bus is now up to date
super + space is now the normal hotkey

what should this message tell me?

a) what is i-bus?
b) which key is "super"?
c) why should i use this key kombination - what will happend then?

thanks,

simoN

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Tom Hardy
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 11:51:46 CDT Simon Becherer wrote:

> a) what is i-bus?
> b) which key is "super"?
> c) why should i use this key kombination - what will happend then?

I have similar questions.  I-Bus is input bus?  I don't know the super key.
I've now got I-Bus side by side with KDE's keyboard layouts in the system
tray.  Should I use it in preference to KDE's version?

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Frank Krüger
Am 04.11.2017 um 18:23 schrieb Tom Hardy:

> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 11:51:46 CDT Simon Becherer wrote:
>
>> a) what is i-bus?
>> b) which key is "super"?
>> c) why should i use this key kombination - what will happend then?
>
> I have similar questions.  I-Bus is input bus?  I don't know the super key.
> I've now got I-Bus side by side with KDE's keyboard layouts in the system
> tray.  Should I use it in preference to KDE's version?

This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html

Regards, Frank

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Simon Becherer

Hi fank,
sorry i have read the old mails,
but still my questions are not anwered,
(i am mailnly a user)

a) what is i-bus?
   - has someting to do with keyboard input (as i read inside the old mails)
b) which key is "super" ?????????
c) why should i use this key kombination - what will happend then? ??????

... i do not touch key kombinations on my computers when i do not know what they are fore....

.. and if its is "standart" in opensuse now i do not like to uninsall or remove.
because:
i recogniced in last 10? years of suse 9.x to today "try to customise as less as possible
to avoid problems when updating...."

regards
simoN

Am 04.11.2017 um 18:30 schrieb Frank Krüger:

> Am 04.11.2017 um 18:23 schrieb Tom Hardy:
>> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 11:51:46 CDT Simon Becherer wrote:
>>
>>> a) what is i-bus? b) which key is "super"? c) why should i use this key kombination - what will happend then?
>>
>> I have similar questions.  I-Bus is input bus?  I don't know the super key. I've now got I-Bus side by side with KDE's keyboard layouts in the system tray.  Should I use it in preference to KDE's version?
>>
> This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g., https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
>
> Regards, Frank

- --

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:

> This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html

Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed snapshot
20171022 released!"

libibus is a KDE requirement.  Ibus does not resect KDE system settings.  Ibus
is more generalized and capable.  I think I'll keep it and remove the KDE
icon.  I still don't know what the "super" key is.

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Tom Hardy <[hidden email]> [11-04-17 14:21]:

> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:
> >
> > This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
>
> Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed snapshot
> 20171022 released!"
>
> libibus is a KDE requirement.  Ibus does not resect KDE system settings.  Ibus
> is more generalized and capable.  I think I'll keep it and remove the KDE
> icon.  I still don't know what the "super" key is.

you don't have google available?

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Tom Hardy
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 13:23:13 CDT Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Tom Hardy <[hidden email]> [11-04-17 14:21]:
> > On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:
> > > This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
> > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
> >
> > Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed
> > snapshot 20171022 released!"
> >
> > libibus is a KDE requirement.  Ibus does not resect KDE system settings.
> > Ibus is more generalized and capable.  I think I'll keep it and remove
> > the KDE icon.  I still don't know what the "super" key is.
>
> you don't have google available?

I'll get around to it!, as I just decided to keep ibus!  Actually, I wouldn't
mind seeing discussion of ibus vs KDE ketboard layouts, and what the future
holds for KDE.

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Simon Becherer

Hi thom,

as i am a stupid user it would make me happy
if questions in mailing lists would be answered
directly (by people who know the answer)
not answering in a "general hint"

i tried your suggestion googleing "super key"
(and i have had succes anyway of your "general hint" so you helped me (party)
thanks :-))

from google:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key_%28keyboard_button%29
The Super key refers to several different keys throughout keyboard history. Originally the Super key was a modifier key on the Space-cadet keyboard. Recently "Super key" has become an alternative name for the
Windows key when using Linux or BSD operating systems or software that originated on these systems

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/keyboard-key-super.html.en
you have an Apple keyboard, you will have a ⌘ (Command) key instead of the Windows key, while Chromebooks have a magnifying glass instead.

BUT sorry, not on all my systems present:
as i read this correct, super key IS "windows key"

i tried on one system with new keyboard (and tumbleweed) the windows key and the space key.
here i am now able to switch between 2 languages for keyboard input german and english.

what about my "cherry gold plated-layer keyboard" = made in west-germany = artikle nr. G81-3000 HAD/11 serial no.:048122 c39
= without "€" symbol and without "windows" key
(its about 20 years old) (in near future there will be also tubleweed on such a pc-keyboard combinations)

by the way i will never change this type of keyboard to a newer one (at my personaly everyday used computer).
with this HEAVY board you can still kill somebody ;-)))
there is is STEEL inside and as mentioned, gold... ;-))))

newer keyboards HAVE windows keys, I USE open-surce LINUX!! as for now, no need for a windows symbol on my (private) keyboard!!!!

thanks,

simoN

Am 04.11.2017 um 19:23 schrieb Patrick Shanahan:

> * Tom Hardy <[hidden email]> [11-04-17 14:21]:
>> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:
>>>
>>> This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g., https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
>>
>> Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed snapshot 20171022 released!"
>>
>> libibus is a KDE requirement.  Ibus does not resect KDE system settings.  Ibus is more generalized and capable.  I think I'll keep it and remove the KDE icon.  I still don't know what the "super" key is.
>
> you don't have google available?

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> [11-04-17 14:59]:
> Hi thom,
>
> as i am a stupid user it would make me happy if questions in mailing
> lists would be answered directly (by people who know the answer) not
> answering in a "general hint"
>
> i tried your suggestion googleing "super key" (and i have had succes
> anyway of your "general hint" so you helped me (party) thanks :-))

the more that you learn to help yourself, the less you will find it
necessary to attribute incorrect posters with providing you the path to
success.

but you will be somewhat unhappy, but maybe not a"stupid user".

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Samstag, 4. November 2017, 13:20:40 schrieb Tom Hardy:
> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:
> > This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
>
> Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed snapshot
> 20171022 released!"
>
> libibus is a KDE requirement.

libibus is irrelevant here though.

And ibus is not a KDE *requirement* at all.

Actually it shouldn't even get installed in KDE, but libreoffice-gnome (used
now in KDE too because libreoffice-kde4 has been dropped) pulls it in.
It's only a supplement though (no hard requirement), so you can uninstall it
(and/or prevent its installation) if you want.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Tom Hardy
On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 11:22:19 CST Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. November 2017, 13:20:40 schrieb Tom Hardy:
> > On Saturday, 4 November 2017 12:30:54 CDT Frank Krüger wrote:
> > > This issue has already been discussed, see, e.g.,
> > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00691.html
> >
> > Looks like the best discussion was subthreads under "New Tumbleweed
> > snapshot 20171022 released!"
> >
> > libibus is a KDE requirement.

That is simply one of the facts I pulled from the mentioned thread.

> libibus is irrelevant here though.

But is it *completely* irrelevant, e.g., it would be nice to know in a
technical sense if KDE keyboard layouts and ibus were using the same library
behind the scenes.  It would be a good thing if they are.  Or else, what is
libibus used for?

> And ibus is not a KDE *requirement* at all.
>
> Actually it shouldn't even get installed in KDE, but libreoffice-gnome (used
> now in KDE too because libreoffice-kde4 has been dropped) pulls it in. It's
> only a supplement though (no hard requirement), so you can uninstall it
> (and/or prevent its installation) if you want.

Well, I like to be able to adjust my keyboard layouts, so which one should I
use?

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Roger Whittaker-2
On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 01:56:42PM -0600, Tom Hardy wrote:

[...]

> Well, I like to be able to adjust my keyboard layouts, so which one
> should I use?

When I discovered I had both, I thought I would go with ibus, but then
I discovered that kvkbd does not respond to it.  So if you
occasionally want to use an on-screen keyboard with KDE, do it the KDE
way.

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 7. November 2017, 13:56:42 schrieb Tom Hardy:
> But is it *completely* irrelevant,

Yes. It doesn't allow you to switch your keyboard layout by itself, nor does
it display any icon, and it doesn't require ibus installed or running at all
either.

The library (libibus) just allows an application (or the deskop) to interface
with ibus if it's running.

That's similar to libpulse that's required by many things, but you can still
disable or uninstall pulseaudio itself and stick to plain ALSA if you prefer.
And there are other examples as well...

AFAIK, the only thing in Plasma that needs/uses libibus is the "kimpanel" (aka
"A generic input method panel"), a plasmoid that allows to configure and use
IMs like ibus, i.e. simply put it's a KDE frontend to ibus (and other IMs)
that's shipped with Plasma.
But that's nothing new at all, and not mandatory either.

> e.g., it would be nice to know in a
> technical sense if KDE keyboard layouts and ibus were using the same library
> behind the scenes.

KDE's keyboard layout switcher does not use libibus. It only interfaces with X
itself.

> Well, I like to be able to adjust my keyboard layouts, so which one should I
> use?

Whichever you prefer, and there's also fcitx... ;-) .
(I use neither of them)

If you only want to switch the keyboard layout, KDE/Plasma's standard switcher
should be good enough.

But ibus is much more than a simple keyboard layout switcher. AIUI, it's main
purpose is allowing to enter foreign (e.g. Asiatic) characters.
Actually I don't even know the details myself as I never used it, but see here
for a better explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Input_Bus

To summarize: if you like ibus (and its features), use it.
If you prefer the KDE switcher, just uninstall ibus (and lock it that it
doesn't get installed again).
In the end it's your choice though.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Tom Hardy
On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 15:36:50 CST Wolfgang Bauer wrote:

[...]

> In the end it's your choice though.

Thank you.

I could potentially want to use ibus because I know people from Tiawan, but
that has never happened.  On the other hand, I like kvkbd.  OK, ibus is taboo.
I banished parcellite akso.  I looked at tracker, but that looks like a more
complicated case.

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: i-bus aktualisiert

Zhao Qiang
On 2017年11月08日 09:18, Tom Hardy wrote:

> On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 15:36:50 CST Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> In the end it's your choice though.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I could potentially want to use ibus because I know people from Tiawan, but
> that has never happened.  On the other hand, I like kvkbd.  OK, ibus is taboo.
> I banished parcellite akso.  I looked at tracker, but that looks like a more
> complicated case.

Hi:

ibus related issues is supposed to discuss in openSUSE-M17N mail-list,
all the maintainer of localization is there. Thanks!

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-m17n/