how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

Vincenzo Ciancia-3
Hi all, I have an user 1000 km away from me, she's my 69 years old mother
and she uses opensuse+kde to work with documents and spreadsheets. The
problem is, if she starts printing with her usb printer turned off, CUPS
disables the printer permanently, and this I think is a cups bug that I
should report (correct behaviour is to start printing immediately when the
printer is turned on), however I found no way, in the KDE user interface,
to reenable the printer. I had to resort to allowing anonymous connections
to localhost:631 and teach her how to enable the printer in an untranslated
(although well working) web interface.

In any case, the kde print system should warn the user when he/she prints on
a disabled printer, report the reason CUPS states for the printer being
disabled, and prompt the user for trying to re-enable the printer.

If necessary I can file a couple of bug/wish reports, should I file them in
bugzilla on the novell site?

Bye and thanks

Vincenzo

For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Re: how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

Patrick Shanahan
* Vincenzo Ciancia <[hidden email]> [08-28-06 09:46]:
> Hi all, I have an user 1000 km away from me, she's my 69 years old mother
> and she uses opensuse+kde to work with documents and spreadsheets. The
> problem is, if she starts printing with her usb printer turned off, CUPS
> disables the printer permanently, and this I think is a cups bug that I
> should report (correct behaviour is to start printing immediately when the
> printer is turned on), however I found no way, in the KDE user interface,
> to reenable the printer. I had to resort to allowing anonymous connections
> to localhost:631 and teach her how to enable the printer in an untranslated
> (although well working) web interface.

try from command-line and path is necessary:

/usr/bin/enable <printer-name>
ie: /usr/bin/enable esp925

this will enable a stopped printer

note: enable is also a bash built-in making the path necessary.  Also
the lppasswd may be requested depending on suse version.

to get printername easily, (from cl) lpstat -a
ie:   13:04 wahoo:~ > lpstat -a
      esp925 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00

gud luk
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Alle 19:08, lunedì 28 agosto 2006, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * Vincenzo Ciancia <[hidden email]> [08-28-06 09:46]:
> > Hi all, I have an user 1000 km away from me, she's my 69 years old mother
> > and she uses opensuse+kde to work with documents and spreadsheets. The
> > problem is, if she starts printing with her usb printer turned off, CUPS
> > disables the printer permanently, and this I think is a cups bug that I
> > should report (correct behaviour is to start printing immediately when
> > the printer is turned on), however I found no way, in the KDE user
> > interface, to reenable the printer. I had to resort to allowing anonymous
> > connections to localhost:631 and teach her how to enable the printer in
> > an untranslated (although well working) web interface.
>
> try from command-line and path is necessary:
>
> /usr/bin/enable <printer-name>
> ie: /usr/bin/enable esp925

I realize I should also call "accept" after this, but I will have to make a
script to empty the printer queue and enable all queues after such a mistake.

I would like to ask the subscribers of the list if they think I should file a
bug/wish against kjobviewer to add a button to start and stop printers.

BTW, a subscriber told me privately to restart the CUPS daemon; I would like
to point out that this does not change the disabled state of the printer (or
else the good old "reboot the system" method would have worked :)).

thanks

Vincenzo

For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Re: how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

John King
On Monday 28 August 2006 14:43, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:

> Hi all, I have an user 1000 km away from me, she's my 69 years old mother
> and she uses opensuse+kde to work with documents and spreadsheets. The
> problem is, if she starts printing with her usb printer turned off, CUPS
> disables the printer permanently, and this I think is a cups bug that I
> should report (correct behaviour is to start printing immediately when the
> printer is turned on), however I found no way, in the KDE user interface,
> to reenable the printer. I had to resort to allowing anonymous connections
> to localhost:631 and teach her how to enable the printer in an untranslated
> (although well working) web interface.

Try KDE Control Centre - peripherals - printers

Right clicking on the stopped printer should provide the opportunity to start
it.

password needs to be given, but it can be saved.

--

regards

John

For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Re: how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

BandiPat
On Monday 28 August 2006 09:43, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:

> Hi all, I have an user 1000 km away from me, she's my 69 years old
> mother and she uses opensuse+kde to work with documents and
> spreadsheets. The problem is, if she starts printing with her usb
> printer turned off, CUPS disables the printer permanently, and this I
> think is a cups bug that I should report (correct behaviour is to
> start printing immediately when the printer is turned on), however I
> found no way, in the KDE user interface, to reenable the printer. I
> had to resort to allowing anonymous connections to localhost:631 and
> teach her how to enable the printer in an untranslated (although well
> working) web interface.
>
> In any case, the kde print system should warn the user when he/she
> prints on a disabled printer, report the reason CUPS states for the
> printer being disabled, and prompt the user for trying to re-enable
> the printer.
>
> If necessary I can file a couple of bug/wish reports, should I file
> them in bugzilla on the novell site?
>
> Bye and thanks
>
> Vincenzo
==========

Vincenzo,
How about "rccups restart" as root in a shell?  If that doesn't clear it
up, just unplug the printer and plug it back.

regards,
Lee

For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Re: how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

Sven Burmeister
Hi!

Am Montag, 28. August 2006 19:37 schrieb John King:
> Try KDE Control Centre - peripherals - printers
>
> Right clicking on the stopped printer should provide the opportunity to
> start it.
>
> password needs to be given, but it can be saved.

I think that for this to work one has to give cups a root-password. this is
apparently not the same root-password as used for the system. So if the
kde-printer module does not accept your root password, you know why. ;)

Sven

For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Re: how to start/stop CUPS printers in kde on suse?

Verner Kjæsgaard
Tirsdag 29 august 2006 10:34 skrev Sven Burmeister:

> Hi!
>
> Am Montag, 28. August 2006 19:37 schrieb John King:
> > Try KDE Control Centre - peripherals - printers
> >
> > Right clicking on the stopped printer should provide the opportunity to
> > start it.
> >
> > password needs to be given, but it can be saved.
>
> I think that for this to work one has to give cups a root-password. this is
> apparently not the same root-password as used for the system. So if the
> kde-printer module does not accept your root password, you know why. ;)
>
> Sven

To setup an adm-user for CUPS, do:

lppasswd -g sys -a some-user-name
(checkout man lppasswd)

Note that CUPS is picky with passwords, they must be at least 8 chars and
contain characters and numbers in order to work.
With this new user/pw one may now log into IP:631 and fix whatever problems
there may be.