how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Sunny_bg
Hi,
I have very bad problem here. I have opensuse 10.0 machine. After hw
issue, the /boot partition got corrupted.

I made an image of all the partitions to a new hdd. All of them pass
fsck without any problems, and all the files are there.

But /boot fails fsck, and after repair vmlinux is lost, initrd is lost
etc. I have an image of the partition, so I can play with it as much
as I can.

Is there a way I can rebuild /boot, like if I boot a live cd, then
chroot maybe to the original / partition, etc.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Felix Miata-3
On 2011/04/06 18:25 (GMT-0500) Sunny composed:

> I have very bad problem here. I have opensuse 10.0 machine. After hw
> issue, the /boot partition got corrupted.

> I made an image of all the partitions to a new hdd. All of them pass
> fsck without any problems, and all the files are there.

> But /boot fails fsck, and after repair vmlinux is lost, initrd is lost
> etc. I have an image of the partition, so I can play with it as much
> as I can.

Is this a laptop? How did you partition the new HD/with what tool? How did
you make that image? Maybe your image and the location you're trying to
restore it to do not match? Is the new HD bigger? Maybe its legacy geometry
does not match that from the old. Maybe it's not located the same number of
sectors from the start of the disk. It could be helpful for us to know what
fdisk -l currently reports, and even better if you had that info from the old HD.

> Is there a way I can rebuild /boot, like if I boot a live cd, then
> chroot maybe to the original / partition, etc.

Yes. If it was here I would create the /boot from scratch, then copy the
required files from the saved image, somewhat like what I do with a new HD. I
always partition and install bootloader before installing any Linux operating
system. Typically I use a Knoppix CD to mkfs.ext2 my /boot partition, then
copy the Knoppix library of Grub files to the new partition's grub directory,
then run the Grub shell to manually install Grub to that partition's boot
sector. Asssuming the /boot partition is the first primary at the head of the HD:

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)
grub> quit
#

Recreated this way there should be no reason for fsck to fail when you try to
boot.

More details that may be helpful: http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011/04/06 18:25 (GMT-0500) Sunny composed:
>
>> I have very bad problem here. I have opensuse 10.0 machine. After hw
>> issue, the /boot partition got corrupted.
>
>> I made an image of all the partitions to a new hdd. All of them pass
>> fsck without any problems, and all the files are there.
>
>> But /boot fails fsck, and after repair vmlinux is lost, initrd is lost
>> etc. I have an image of the partition, so I can play with it as much
>> as I can.
>
> Is this a laptop? How did you partition the new HD/with what tool? How did
> you make that image? Maybe your image and the location you're trying to
> restore it to do not match? Is the new HD bigger? Maybe its legacy geometry
> does not match that from the old. Maybe it's not located the same number of
> sectors from the start of the disk. It could be helpful for us to know what
> fdisk -l currently reports, and even better if you had that info from the
> old HD.
>
>> Is there a way I can rebuild /boot, like if I boot a live cd, then
>> chroot maybe to the original / partition, etc.
>
> Yes. If it was here I would create the /boot from scratch, then copy the
> required files from the saved image, somewhat like what I do with a new HD.
> I always partition and install bootloader before installing any Linux
> operating system. Typically I use a Knoppix CD to mkfs.ext2 my /boot
> partition, then copy the Knoppix library of Grub files to the new
> partition's grub directory, then run the Grub shell to manually install Grub
> to that partition's boot sector. Asssuming the /boot partition is the first
> primary at the head of the HD:

Thanks Felix, here's the situation.

This is working server. There were failure in the hw raid. I made
images with clonezilla of all partitions. Also, I did dd of the
partitions to be on the safe side.

When I do fsck on the image file, it reports errors.

If I copy (dd) the image to a new partition (same size), still fsck
shows problems.

As far as I can see, the missing critical files are System.mapxxxxxxx
and vmlinuxxxxxxx (xxx is ver. nr of the kernel).

The initrd file is ok, I was able to gunzip and cpio it, so its not corrupted.

I have other similar server, same 10.0, same partition setup.
Unfortunately it appears it was updated more recently than the bad
one, so the files it has in its /boot are newer version.

I tried to copy this machines /boot to the bad one. Its ok, it starts
booting, but after that it fails, as it can not find the right kernel
modules after the real / is mounted, as the vmlinux is different
version.

So, I guess my only chance is if I find the kernel rpms for the exact
version I have on this machine, boot with recue, chroot and hope that
it rebuild the missing files.

unfortunately 10.0 is so old, that there are no more repositories.

I'll appreciate any other options one might have

cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Malcolm-31
On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 21:25 -0500, Sunny wrote:

> [...]
> and vmlinuxxxxxxx (xxx is ver. nr of the kernel).
>
> The initrd file is ok, I was able to gunzip and cpio it, so its not corrupted.
>
> I have other similar server, same 10.0, same partition setup.
> Unfortunately it appears it was updated more recently than the bad
> one, so the files it has in its /boot are newer version.
>
> I tried to copy this machines /boot to the bad one. Its ok, it starts
> booting, but after that it fails, as it can not find the right kernel
> modules after the real / is mounted, as the vmlinux is different
> version.
>
> So, I guess my only chance is if I find the kernel rpms for the exact
> version I have on this machine, boot with recue, chroot and hope that
> it rebuild the missing files.
>
> unfortunately 10.0 is so old, that there are no more repositories.
>
> I'll appreciate any other options one might have

Hi
Iso images here,
ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/10.0/iso/
Updates here;
ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/update/10.0/

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.29-0.3-default

Re: how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Felix Miata-3
On 2011/04/06 21:25 (GMT-0500) Sunny composed:

> This is working server. There were failure in the hw raid. I made
> images with clonezilla of all partitions. Also, I did dd of the
> partitions to be on the safe side.

> When I do fsck on the image file, it reports errors.

> If I copy (dd) the image to a new partition (same size), still fsck
> shows problems.

> As far as I can see, the missing critical files are System.mapxxxxxxx
> and vmlinuxxxxxxx (xxx is ver. nr of the kernel).

> The initrd file is ok, I was able to gunzip and cpio it, so its not corrupted.

> I have other similar server, same 10.0, same partition setup.
> Unfortunately it appears it was updated more recently than the bad
> one, so the files it has in its /boot are newer version.

> I tried to copy this machines /boot to the bad one. Its ok, it starts
> booting, but after that it fails, as it can not find the right kernel
> modules after the real / is mounted, as the vmlinux is different
> version.

> So, I guess my only chance is if I find the kernel rpms for the exact
> version I have on this machine, boot with recue, chroot and hope that
> it rebuild the missing files.

> unfortunately 10.0 is so old, that there are no more repositories.

> I'll appreciate any other options one might have

Kernels and initrds don't care whether module files they need came from an
rpm or not. Tar the modules dir from the other server, untar them on the
server than needs them to work with the copied files in /boot, and you should
be in business again.

Exactly which 10.0 kernel versions are you dealing with? Could be I or
someone else on list has the vmlinuz you need to work with the restored
original initrd. I still have 4 machines with working 10.0.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2011/04/06 21:25 (GMT-0500) Sunny composed:
>

> Exactly which 10.0 kernel versions are you dealing with? Could be I or
> someone else on list has the vmlinuz you need to work with the restored
> original initrd. I still have 4 machines with working 10.0.

It is 2.6.13-15.15-x86_64

I need all the files from /boot which have ver num.

Thanks

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: Re: how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Sunny_bg
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Malcolm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> Iso images here,
> ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/10.0/iso/
> Updates here;
> ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/update/10.0/

live saver. i'll try first to reinstall the kernel rpm, and see how it goes.

Thanks

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: how to restore vmlinux and initrd

Felix Miata-3
On 2011/04/06 22:11 (GMT-0500) Sunny composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Could be I or
>> someone else on list has the vmlinuz you need to work with the restored
>> original initrd.

> It is 2.6.13-15.15-x86_64

> I need all the files from /boot which have ver num.

None I have are 64 bit, but maybe
ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/ has what
you need.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Hans Witvliet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> afaicr, at work i have a 10.0 system running...
> Any help if i tar my /boot and mail them to you?

Thanks Hans,
I succeeded by opening the kernel prm and getting the files from
there. Mlacolm's links were very useful.

Cheers