grub2

Dinar Valeev-2
Hi,

What do you think if we can follow x86 Factory movement to try to
switch default bootloader to grub2?

grub2 is packaged

We need to hack:
perl-bootloader
yast2-bootloader
probably installation-images

It should work on pSeries machines and PowerMac.

Any volunteers?

Have fun,
Dinar

Re: grub2

Joachim Plack
On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 03:06:44PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do you think if we can follow x86 Factory movement to try to
> switch default bootloader to grub2?
>
> grub2 is packaged
>
> We need to hack:
> perl-bootloader
> yast2-bootloader
> probably installation-images
>
> It should work on pSeries machines and PowerMac.

Do you really think it works on pSeries?
Last time I downloaded it (January?) it did not look having too much support in it.

I'd be happy to help, whereas my time is limited

But first I'd like to get a pSeries set up and booted through grub2 manually before start hacking on the environment.

nevertheless, changing perl-bootloader, yast2-bootloader might be left unchanged.
Just the "lilo" wrapper script needs changing.

Regards,
    Jack.

--
Joachim Plack, TPM for SLEPOS
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: grub2

Dinar Valeev
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Joachim Plack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 03:06:44PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What do you think if we can follow x86 Factory movement to try to
>> switch default bootloader to grub2?
>>
>> grub2 is packaged
>>
>> We need to hack:
>> perl-bootloader
>> yast2-bootloader
>> probably installation-images
>>
>> It should work on pSeries machines and PowerMac.
>
> Do you really think it works on pSeries?
> Last time I downloaded it (January?) it did not look having too much support in it.
I've seen quite a lot of positive feedback on it.

> I'd be happy to help, whereas my time is limited
>
> But first I'd like to get a pSeries set up and booted through grub2 manually before start hacking on the environment.
That's sounds as a plan.

> nevertheless, changing perl-bootloader, yast2-bootloader might be left unchanged.
> Just the "lilo" wrapper script needs changing.
It will make things even more complicated.

> Regards,
>    Jack.
>
> --
> Joachim Plack, TPM for SLEPOS
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
> Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
> Tel.: +49 - (0)911 - 74053-0
> Mail: [hidden email]

Re: grub2

Joachim Plack
On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 05:54:47PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Joachim Plack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 03:06:44PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What do you think if we can follow x86 Factory movement to try to
> >> switch default bootloader to grub2?
> >>
> >> grub2 is packaged
> >>
> >> We need to hack:
> >> perl-bootloader
> >> yast2-bootloader
> >> probably installation-images
> >>
> >> It should work on pSeries machines and PowerMac.
> >
> > Do you really think it works on pSeries?
> > Last time I downloaded it (January?) it did not look having too much
> > support in it.
> I've seen quite a lot of positive feedback on it.

Ok, so I'll check the status of the sources from the openSUSE:Factory package
the next days.

> > I'd be happy to help, whereas my time is limited
> >
> > But first I'd like to get a pSeries set up and booted through grub2
> > manually before start hacking on the environment.
> That's sounds as a plan.
> >
> > nevertheless, changing perl-bootloader, yast2-bootloader might be left
> > unchanged.  Just the "lilo" wrapper script needs changing.
> It will make things even more complicated.

?? Why do you think so ??

Regards,
    Jack.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Joachim Plack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 05:54:47PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:

>> > Do you really think it works on pSeries?
>> > Last time I downloaded it (January?) it did not look having too much
>> > support in it.
>> I've seen quite a lot of positive feedback on it.
>
> Ok, so I'll check the status of the sources from the openSUSE:Factory package
> the next days.
>

>> > I'd be happy to help, whereas my time is limited
>> >
>> > But first I'd like to get a pSeries set up and booted through grub2
>> > manually before start hacking on the environment.
>> That's sounds as a plan.
>> >
>> > nevertheless, changing perl-bootloader, yast2-bootloader might be left
>> > unchanged.  Just the "lilo" wrapper script needs changing.
>> It will make things even more complicated.
>
> ?? Why do you think so ??
It is already kind of broken for pmac and pseries with ext4 fs.