good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Steffen Winterfeldt
perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
fifty years now, is going bye-bye.

As we are consolidating on grub2 it's no longer necessary to keep such a
huge library around.

Instead, there are now small shell scripts in /usr/lib/bootloader/ that are
used to keep the update-bootloader and bootloader_entry scripts working.

yast2 will work on the grub2 config files directly and not be using
perl-Bootloader any longer.

That said, all the old code is still there for compatibility and will in
fact be used to configure any bootloader != grub2. But the idea is of course
to stop maintaining this code and eventually to get rid of it.

The new package (version 0.900) is on its way into Tumbleweed and will
spread from there to SLE12-SP2 and Leap.

If you are using the perl-Bootloader library in your package, now is a good
moment to panic.


Steffen

--
Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.
(chimp Nim, using sign language)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Andrei Borzenkov
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Steffen Winterfeldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
> fifty years now

Really? How old Linus is?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Philipp Thomas
* Andrei Borzenkov ([hidden email]) [20151127 16:11]:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Steffen Winterfeldt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
> > fifty years now
>
> Really? How old Linus is?

I guess he meant fifteen ;-)

Philipp
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Michal Marek
In reply to this post by Steffen Winterfeldt
Dne 27.11.2015 v 15:46 Steffen Winterfeldt napsal(a):
> perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
> fifty years now, is going bye-bye.
>
> As we are consolidating on grub2 it's no longer necessary to keep such a
> huge library around.
>
> Instead, there are now small shell scripts in /usr/lib/bootloader/ that
> are used to keep the update-bootloader and bootloader_entry scripts
> working.
[...]
> If you are using the perl-Bootloader library in your package, now is a good
> moment to panic.

As far as the kernel and dracut are concerned, we test for the existence
of bootload_entry and update-bootloader, respectively, before calling
them. Is going to work or should I continue panicking?

Thanks,
Michal
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Josef Reidinger-3
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:19:25 +0100
Michal Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dne 27.11.2015 v 15:46 Steffen Winterfeldt napsal(a):
> > perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for
> > nearly fifty years now, is going bye-bye.
> >
> > As we are consolidating on grub2 it's no longer necessary to keep
> > such a huge library around.
> >
> > Instead, there are now small shell scripts in /usr/lib/bootloader/
> > that are used to keep the update-bootloader and bootloader_entry
> > scripts working.
> [...]
> > If you are using the perl-Bootloader library in your package, now
> > is a good moment to panic.
>
> As far as the kernel and dracut are concerned, we test for the
> existence of bootload_entry and update-bootloader, respectively,
> before calling them. Is going to work or should I continue panicking?
>
> Thanks,
> Michal

It will be still there exactly as layer for kernel update. It will
be simple script, that just read what bootlaoder is used and if so,
then call script for given bootloader to inform, that kernel changed.

So no panic needed.

Josef
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Stefan Seyfried
In reply to this post by Philipp Thomas
Am 27.11.2015 um 16:53 schrieb Philipp Thomas:
> * Andrei Borzenkov ([hidden email]) [20151127 16:11]:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Steffen Winterfeldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
>>> fifty years now
>>
>> Really? How old Linus is?
>
> I guess he meant fifteen ;-)

But it surely feels like fifty.

Having found my share of perl-Bootloader bugs in the past, I have to say
that I have no sad feelings seeing it finally go away.

Even though I have to say that it did not fail on me for the last five
years, I still have the habit of setting "LOADER_TYPE=none" in
/etc/sysconfig/bootloader and just rely on the /boot/vmlinuz symlink on
all important systems where I need to be absolutely sure they reboot
reliably :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over
 public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." -- Richard Feynman
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

ellanios82
On 11/28/2015 04:53 PM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> But it surely feels like fifty.
......

  wiki says :

Linus Benedict Torvalds
born: December 28, 1969 (age 45)
Helsinki, Finland

............

WBR
....


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Steffen Winterfeldt
In reply to this post by Michal Marek
On Friday 2015-11-27 17:19, Michal Marek wrote:

> Dne 27.11.2015 v 15:46 Steffen Winterfeldt napsal(a):
>> perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
>> fifty years now, is going bye-bye.
>>
>> As we are consolidating on grub2 it's no longer necessary to keep such a
>> huge library around.
>>
>> Instead, there are now small shell scripts in /usr/lib/bootloader/ that
>> are used to keep the update-bootloader and bootloader_entry scripts
>> working.
> [...]
>> If you are using the perl-Bootloader library in your package, now is a good
>> moment to panic.
>
> As far as the kernel and dracut are concerned, we test for the existence
> of bootload_entry and update-bootloader, respectively, before calling
> them. Is going to work or should I continue panicking?

This continues to work.


Steffen
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: good bye perl-Bootloader :-(

Michal Marek
On 2015-11-30 11:08, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

> On Friday 2015-11-27 17:19, Michal Marek wrote:
>
>> Dne 27.11.2015 v 15:46 Steffen Winterfeldt napsal(a):
>>> perl-Bootloader, the package handling our boot loader setup for nearly
>>> fifty years now, is going bye-bye.
>>>
>>> As we are consolidating on grub2 it's no longer necessary to keep such a
>>> huge library around.
>>>
>>> Instead, there are now small shell scripts in /usr/lib/bootloader/ that
>>> are used to keep the update-bootloader and bootloader_entry scripts
>>> working.
>> [...]
>>> If you are using the perl-Bootloader library in your package, now is a good
>>> moment to panic.
>>
>> As far as the kernel and dracut are concerned, we test for the existence
>> of bootload_entry and update-bootloader, respectively, before calling
>> them. Is going to work or should I continue panicking?
>
> This continues to work.

Great. I will leave the calls in place, to make it easy to test the
kernel on old systems with grub1.

Michal

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]