gnome version of fish:// ???

Peter Van Lone
I need to access a remote server that does not have nfs or ftp
running. I would like to look at a particular log file in detail,
using a graphical text editor (something that wil preserve the indents
of an xml file) from my workstation.

Usually, I have KDE and I just fish:// to the server in question, and
can do what I please with the files.

How do I do this is GNOME?

Peter

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

John Andersen
On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:25, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> I need to access a remote server that does not have nfs or ftp
> running. I would like to look at a particular log file in detail,
> using a graphical text editor (something that wil preserve the indents
> of an xml file) from my workstation.
>
> Usually, I have KDE and I just fish:// to the server in question, and
> can do what I please with the files.
>
> How do I do this is GNOME?

Wouldn't that require GNOME to actually not be Brain dead?

<running and ducking>

Fish is just an ssh shell.  Why not just ssh into the machine
and launch any tool you want on the file?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

Peter Van Lone
On 11/9/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fish is just an ssh shell.  Why not just ssh into the machine
> and launch any tool you want on the file?

well John I asked for the ability to use a graphical text editor, so
that I can see the xml document with all it's formatting (indents ...
so the sectioning is clear)

Do you know of a text editor that I could run from a server that has
no gui installed, that will do this? That would be great ...

I just looked at the log again with vi -- and it is better than I
remembered. I could have sworn last time I did that, everything was
just scrunched up, with no preserved indenting.

Hmm ...

Well ... I guess all my time searching for gnome equiv to fish, is for naughT

(I'd still like to know, though ... I have a couple gnome machines
that sometimes I need to use ....)

Peter

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

Per Jessen
Peter Van Lone wrote:

> On 11/9/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Fish is just an ssh shell.  Why not just ssh into the machine
>> and launch any tool you want on the file?
>
> well John I asked for the ability to use a graphical text editor, so
> that I can see the xml document with all it's formatting (indents ...
> so the sectioning is clear)
>
> Do you know of a text editor that I could run from a server that has
> no gui installed, that will do this? That would be great ...

vi ?  I have never had a problem editing/viewing XML with vi.

Per Jessen, Zurich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - managed email security.
Starting at SFr5/month/user.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

Geir A. Myrestrand
Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 11/9/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Fish is just an ssh shell.  Why not just ssh into the machine
>> and launch any tool you want on the file?
>
> well John I asked for the ability to use a graphical text editor, so
> that I can see the xml document with all it's formatting (indents ...
> so the sectioning is clear)

Peter, you seem to imply that ssh prevents you from using a GUI, which
is not correct. You can enable X11 forwarding with the -X argument to ssh.

You may want to check out http://www.nomachine.com as well, click on the
"Download" tab on their home page. They have a slick set of packages for
accessing Linux hosts from various clients with a full GUI.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand

On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:39, Peter Van Lone wrote:

> On 11/9/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Fish is just an ssh shell.  Why not just ssh into the machine
> > and launch any tool you want on the file?
>
> well John I asked for the ability to use a graphical text editor, so
> that I can see the xml document with all it's formatting (indents ...
> so the sectioning is clear)
>
> Do you know of a text editor that I could run from a server that has
> no gui installed, that will do this? That would be great ...
No gui installed on the server does not matter because you
have a gui installed on your workstation.

There is a terminology gotcha with regard to X servers.

An X server runs on the local machine  - it provides an X session
to the remote machine which doesn't even need xorg or X11 installed.

So any text editor that might exist on said remote machine (and which
is graphical in nature) can display on your machine thru the ssh tunnel.
The editing is done on the remote machine, with screen/mouse/and keyboard
work done on your machine.

Fish on the other hand is a file transfer mechanism
and it brings a copy of the remote file local and allows you
to edit it locally.  If you save it, it transfers your copy back.

It will usually be faster to transfer it with fish, and edit locally
because X sessions over slow links are a nightmare, but
you could just as well transfer it with scp or sftp, edit it and then
put it back.

Fish simply hides the sftp command line from your view.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

Bruce A. Mallett
Peter Van Lone wrote:

> I need to access a remote server that does not have nfs or ftp
> running. I would like to look at a particular log file in detail,
> using a graphical text editor (something that wil preserve the indents
> of an xml file) from my workstation.
>
> Usually, I have KDE and I just fish:// to the server in question, and
> can do what I please with the files.
>
> How do I do this is GNOME?
>
> Peter
I'm not really a GNOME user but I might be able to help.

I just tried logging in with GNOME, then going into the Nautilus file
browser.
From there I did:
  File->Connect to server
  Service type: SSH
  -- filled in Server, User Name, and Name for connection.

This created an entry for the server in the left hand pane.  When I
clicked on that it opened the browse window on the given server similar
to Konqueror with FISH://

Perhaps?  :)

      - Bruce

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: gnome version of fish:// ???

James Ogley
> Usually, I have KDE and I just fish:// to the server in question, and
> can do what I please with the files.
> How do I do this is GNOME?

If you have the Applications/Places/System menu on the panel, select
Places > Connect to Server, otherwise in a File Browser (Nautilus)
window, select File > Connect to Server.
--
James Ogley
[hidden email] http://usr-local-bin.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]