flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

Istvan Gabor-3
Hello:

There's a radio stream I listen to frequently and is available as flash
stream.

In Leap 42.2 using default openSUSE firefox version (52.2.0) and flash
player
plugin from packman (28.0.0.126) the stream suffers from interrupts,
sometimes
lasting 2-4 seconds. During these interrupts the desktop hangs, eg the
mouse cursor
cannot be moved. 'top' command indicates that plugin-container uses >
100% CPU.

I have two other systems, openSUSE 13.1 and openSUSE 13.2 where I can
listen to
the same stream without any issue, no hangs, no interrupts.

The interrupts occur only in Leap 42.2.

How can I trace and possibly fix it? I don't know what to look for.
Can it be a graphics driver issue? I use nvidia proprietary driver with
the following
packages installed:

vidia-computeG03-340.104-11.1.x86_64
nvidia-glG03-340.104-11.1.x86_64
x11-video-nvidiaG03-340.104-11.1.x86_64
nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default-340.104_k4.4.27_2-11.1.x86_64

Thanks,

Istvan

Re: flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

Dave Howorth-3
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 01:20:43 +0100
Istvan Gabor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> There's a radio stream I listen to frequently and is available as
> flash stream.

Find a stream that is not flash, so that vlc etc can play it?

Re: flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

Re: flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

Dave Howorth-3
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 13:04:26 +0100 (CET)
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El 2017-12-28 a las 10:46 -0000, Dave Howorth escribió:
> > On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 01:20:43 +0100
> > Istvan Gabor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello:
> >>
> >> There's a radio stream I listen to frequently and is available as
> >> flash stream.
> >
> > Find a stream that is not flash, so that vlc etc can play it?
>
> IIRC vlc can play a flash file at least.

That's as maybe, but moving away from a bad and dying format like flash
is a good idea, and most radio streams are available in other formats.

It's also likelier an easier path than trying to diagnose a problem in
a specific version of a firefox plugin, which is the OP's problem.

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 12:49:34 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 13:04:26 +0100 (CET)
> "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> El 2017-12-28 a las 10:46 -0000, Dave Howorth escribió:

>> > Find a stream that is not flash, so that vlc etc can play it?
>>
>> IIRC vlc can play a flash file at least.
>
> That's as maybe, but moving away from a bad and dying format like
> flash
> is a good idea, and most radio streams are available in other
> formats.
>
> It's also likelier an easier path than trying to diagnose a problem
> in
> a specific version of a firefox plugin, which is the OP's problem.

Thank you all for answering.

Generally I agree with the idea that not using a service can be a mean
of
protest if we are not satisfied with the given service. Unfortunately
it is
not that simple in practice. If I want to listen to what I'd like to
listen
to I must use the given service as is.

Furthermore, in my case the stream perfectly plays without any
interrupts
for hours and days on my two other systems. That follows the problem is
probably in the client side.

I played a lot with it: neither changing graphic drivers (nouveau,
nvidia
G02/G03), nor going back to previous flash versions could fix the
problem.

Finally I installed firefox 24 esr version and it fixed the problem
immediately.

In default firefox 52.2 plugin-container CPU usage goes over 100%
frequently
and it leads to interrupts and even desktop (mouse cursor) hangs. Even
if the
CPU usage is below 100%, it is mostly over 70-80%.

In firefox 24 esr plugin-container CPU usage is mostly below 50%,
rarely goes
above 70% for short times and never goes over 90%. There are no
interrupts even
when running for hours.

To me it clearly seems that this is a firefox issue, and I consider it
regression. Even if flash is outdated and less frequently used it
shouldn't
be used less effectively than previously.

By the way, the stream I am listening to is playable only by
flash-plugin.
Neither vlc nor mplayer can open/play it.

Thanks again,

Istvan

Re: flash player plugin interrupts, high CPU usage

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-01 23:42, Istvan Gabor wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 12:49:34 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> IIRC vlc can play a flash file at least.
>>
>> That's as maybe, but moving away from a bad and dying format like flash
>> is a good idea, and most radio streams are available in other formats.
>>
>> It's also likelier an easier path than trying to diagnose a problem in
>> a specific version of a firefox plugin, which is the OP's problem.
>
> Thank you all for answering.
>
> Generally I agree with the idea that not using a service can be a mean of
> protest if we are not satisfied with the given service. Unfortunately it is
> not that simple in practice. If I want to listen to what I'd like to listen
> to I must use the given service as is.
I agree.

> Furthermore, in my case the stream perfectly plays without any interrupts
> for hours and days on my two other systems. That follows the problem is
> probably in the client side.

Yep.

> I played a lot with it: neither changing graphic drivers (nouveau, nvidia
> G02/G03), nor going back to previous flash versions could fix the problem.
>
> Finally I installed firefox 24 esr version and it fixed the problem
> immediately.
>
> In default firefox 52.2 plugin-container CPU usage goes over 100% frequently
> and it leads to interrupts and even desktop (mouse cursor) hangs. Even if the
> CPU usage is below 100%, it is mostly over 70-80%.
>
> In firefox 24 esr plugin-container CPU usage is mostly below 50%, rarely goes
> above 70% for short times and never goes over 90%. There are no interrupts even
> when running for hours.
>
> To me it clearly seems that this is a firefox issue, and I consider it a
> regression. Even if flash is outdated and less frequently used it shouldn't
> be used less effectively than previously.
There is another option to downgrading Firefox: play it with Chrome (not
Chromium, IMHO).

> By the way, the stream I am listening to is playable only by flash-plugin.
> Neither vlc nor mplayer can open/play it.

Can you post a link to the site, so that we can check if we get the same
issue?