find ip address of connected site in firefox

find ip address of connected site in firefox

Istvan Gabor
Hello:

I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.

Thanks,

Istvan

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

James Knott
On 08/12/2016 02:00 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.

Wireshark will show you any traffic.  You can also use the host command
on the server URL to find the IP address(es).

For example:
$ host google.com
google.com has address 172.217.1.110
google.com has IPv6 address 2607:f8b0:400b:807::200e
google.com mail is handled by 50 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 40 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

auxsvr
On Friday, 12 August 2016 20:00:41 EEST Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:

Hi,

> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP
> address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal
> application.

Try dig or nslookup, e.g. dig google.com

> Thanks,
> Istvan
Peter

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Per Jessen
Istvan Gabor wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP
> address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal
> application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I
> don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.

tcpdump -n -i <if> port 80 will tell you.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.6°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Neil Rickert
On 08/12/2016 01:00 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.

ps -ef | grep firefox

### to find the PID of your firefox process.

And then

lsof -p PID

### that should list tcp socket information for the process.

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Mark Goldstein

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Istvan Gabor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.

There are some FF extensions that can do it right in FF. I do not
remeber which one I was using once, but searching in add-ons provided,
for example, IP Check:
    This simple addon will show you the IP address of the site you are
currently browsing, with a link to whois.sc for each IP.
     We send the location of the site you're on to a third party
service (a.mby.me) to then return the IP address.

--
Mark Goldstein

On 08/13/2016 01:42 AM, Mark Goldstein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Istvan Gabor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.
>>
> There are some FF extensions that can do it right in FF. I do not
> remeber which one I was using once, but searching in add-ons provided,
> for example, IP Check:
>     This simple addon will show you the IP address of the site you are
> currently browsing, with a link to whois.sc for each IP.
>      We send the location of the site you're on to a third party
> service (a.mby.me) to then return the IP address.

I use ShowIP.

Neil Rickert wrote:

> On 08/12/2016 01:00 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP
>> address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal
>> application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I
>> don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.
>
> ps -ef | grep firefox
>
> ### to find the PID of your firefox process.

or just 'pidof firefox'.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2016-08-13 12:58, Per Jessen wrote:

> Neil Rickert wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/2016 01:00 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I run firefox which is connected to a website. How can I find the IP
>>> address of the connected site, possibly running a terminal
>>> application. I know there are firefox addons that can do this but I
>>> don't have any installed and I don't want to restart firefox.
>>
>> ps -ef | grep firefox
>>
>> ### to find the PID of your firefox process.
>
> or just 'pidof firefox'.
I tried just for fun:

lsof -p `pidof firefox`

and it gives files, not sites or IPs :-?

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-08-13 12:58, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Neil Rickert wrote:

>>> ps -ef | grep firefox
>>>
>>> ### to find the PID of your firefox process.
>>
>> or just 'pidof firefox'.
>
> I tried just for fun:
>
> lsof -p `pidof firefox`
>
> and it gives files, not sites or IPs :-?

Did you have something active in firefox?

On my system just after having googled something:
(lsof -p `pidof firefox` | grep TCP)

firefox 28583  per   40u  IPv6             770634               TCP [2a03:7520:4c68:1:21d:92ff:fe39:a132]:53324->zrh04s06-in-x0e.1e100.net:443 (ESTABLISHED)
firefox 28583  per   50u  IPv4             276825               TCP io64.local.net:51981->ec2-52-70-192-72.compute-1.amazonaws.com:443 (CLOSE_WAIT)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (26.5°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Anton Aylward-2
On 08/13/2016 10:33 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-08-13 12:58, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Neil Rickert wrote:

>>> ps -ef | grep firefox
>>>
>>> ### to find the PID of your firefox process.
>>
>> or just 'pidof firefox'.
>
> I tried just for fun:
>
> lsof -p `pidof firefox`
>
> and it gives files, not sites or IPs :-?

Try piping it though this and see what's left over

      egrep -v "REG|FIFO|DIR|CHR|unix|sock|0000"

--
         A: Yes.

On 2016-08-13 17:34, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> I tried just for fun:
>>
>> lsof -p `pidof firefox`
>>
>> and it gives files, not sites or IPs :-?
>
> Did you have something active in firefox?

I have *hundreds* of firefox tabs open.

> On my system just after having googled something:
> (lsof -p `pidof firefox` | grep TCP)
>
> firefox 28583  per   40u  IPv6             770634               TCP [2a03:7520:4c68:1:21d:92ff:fe39:a132]:53324->zrh04s06-in-x0e.1e100.net:443 (ESTABLISHED)
> firefox 28583  per   50u  IPv4             276825               TCP io64.local.net:51981->ec2-52-70-192-72.compute-1.amazonaws.com:443 (CLOSE_WAIT)

3 entries I get now.

On 2016-08-13 17:44, Anton Aylward wrote:

> Try piping it though this and see what's left over
>
>       egrep -v "REG|FIFO|DIR|CHR|unix|sock|0000"

Five lines. And I have hundreds of opened tabs.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-08-13 17:34, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

>>> I tried just for fun:
>>>
>>> lsof -p `pidof firefox`
>>>
>>> and it gives files, not sites or IPs :-?
>>
>> Did you have something active in firefox?
>
> I have *hundreds* of firefox tabs open.

open != active.  Once a page is loaded, the connection is closed. Unless
some javascript is operating in the background.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.7°C)

On 2016-08-14 11:04, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Did you have something active in firefox?
>>
>> I have *hundreds* of firefox tabs open.
>
> open != active.  Once a page is loaded, the connection is closed. Unless
> some javascript is operating in the background.
Well, then this method is not reliable to find the ip address of a
connected page :-)

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: find ip address of connected site in firefox

Yamaban
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 14:02, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-08-14 11:04, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I have *hundreds* of firefox tabs open.
>>
>> open != active.  Once a page is loaded, the connection is closed. Unless
>> some javascript is operating in the background.
>
> Well, then this method is not reliable to find the ip address of a
> connected page :-)

A glance at "about:networking" gives a nice view on what is going on.
"about:networking" is a internal page of Mozilla Firefox since Version
35 at least, maybe even earlier.

FYI, there is also "netstat" with its wide range of options, esp. "-tun".

  - Yamaban.

On 2016-08-14 14:14, Yamaban wrote:

> A glance at "about:networking" gives a nice view on what is going on.
> "about:networking" is a internal page of Mozilla Firefox since Version
> 35 at least, maybe even earlier.

Interesting!

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-08-14 11:04, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I have *hundreds* of firefox tabs open.
>>
>> open != active.  Once a page is loaded, the connection is closed.
>> Unless some javascript is operating in the background.
>
> Well, then this method is not reliable to find the ip address of a
> connected page :-)

Yes it works very well - go reload the site you're interested in, then
check with lsof which connections were started.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (27.1°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.