/etc/lsb-release and Steam

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

/etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bjoern Voigt
Steam does not detect openSUSE Tumbleweed, at least not my installation.
The distribution detection code (installed during first run of
/usr/bin/steam from steam-1.0.0.54-5.1.x86_64 from TW) can be found here:

/home/myusername/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh:

function detect_distro()
{
        if [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
                (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
        elif [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
                (. /etc/os-release; echo $ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
        elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
                echo "debian"
        else
                # Generic fallback
                uname -s
        fi
}

But /etc/lsb-release contains only
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64"

$DISTRIB_ID is undefined.

My questions:

 1. Why /etc/lsb-release does not contain the usual information (like
    DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION)?
 2. Which script should update /etc/lsb-release?
 3. Does Steam work on TW (more or less)?

Greetings,
Björn




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Neal Gompa
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Bjoern Voigt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steam does not detect openSUSE Tumbleweed, at least not my installation.
> The distribution detection code (installed during first run of
> /usr/bin/steam from steam-1.0.0.54-5.1.x86_64 from TW) can be found here:
>
> /home/myusername/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh:
>
> function detect_distro()
> {
>         if [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
>         elif [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/os-release; echo $ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
>         elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
>                 echo "debian"
>         else
>                 # Generic fallback
>                 uname -s
>         fi
> }
>
> But /etc/lsb-release contains only
> LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64"
>
> $DISTRIB_ID is undefined.
>
> My questions:
>
>  1. Why /etc/lsb-release does not contain the usual information (like
>     DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION)?
>  2. Which script should update /etc/lsb-release?
>  3. Does Steam work on TW (more or less)?
>

To begin with, that file isn't supposed to exist. Moreover, there is
no specification for how that file is supposed to look. I'm surprised
SUSE's lsb package even includes that file, as Red Hat/Fedora's does
not.

Steam works on Tumbleweed just fine if you reorder it to check for
os-release first.


--
真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bjoern Voigt
Neal Gompa wrote:
> Steam works on Tumbleweed just fine if you reorder it to check for
> os-release first.
OK, I have changed detect_distro() and detect_release() this way.

But Steam now stops with libGL errors. I use the Nvidia driver package
from nvidia-tumbleweed package. Usually GL setup works fine.

$ steam
Running Steam on opensuse 20180114 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Greetings,
Björn
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Thorsten Kukuk
In reply to this post by Bjoern Voigt
On Wed, Jan 17, Bjoern Voigt wrote:

> My questions:
>
>  1. Why /etc/lsb-release does not contain the usual information (like
>     DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION)?
>  2. Which script should update /etc/lsb-release?

No script should read or update /etc/lsb-release and steam is not allowed
to parse that file at their own. The Steam developer should read and
understand the LSB specification if they want to use LSB for their project.

   Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & CaaSP
SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Alexandre Singh
Hi,
I don't have this issue on my Tumbleweed PC.

Output of 'lsb_release -a':
LSB Version: n/a
Distributor ID: openSUSE
Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Release: 20180114
Codename: n/a

And as far as I know, Steam doesn't modify lsb-release files. The only
related code in 'steam.sh' that I found is this one: https://paste.open
suse.org/56a6c59f

--

                                  ___
                          Alex aka DarthWound
                        Global Steam Moderator



Le jeudi 18 janvier 2018 à 07:32 +0100, Thorsten Kukuk a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 17, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
>
> > My questions:
> >
> >  1. Why /etc/lsb-release does not contain the usual information
> > (like
> >     DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME,
> > DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION)?
> >  2. Which script should update /etc/lsb-release?
>
> No script should read or update /etc/lsb-release and steam is not
> allowed
> to parse that file at their own. The Steam developer should read and
> understand the LSB specification if they want to use LSB for their
> project.
>
>    Thorsten
>
> --
> Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & CaaSP
> SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
> GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG
> Nuernberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bruno Friedmann-2
In reply to this post by Neal Gompa
> To begin with, that file isn't supposed to exist. Moreover, there is
> no specification for how that file is supposed to look. I'm surprised
> SUSE's lsb package even includes that file, as Red Hat/Fedora's does
> not.
>

rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release

lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64 on TW

surprise surprise ;-)

> Steam works on Tumbleweed just fine if you reorder it to check for
> os-release first.


--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 Bareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bjoern Voigt
Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
>
> lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64 on TW
>
> surprise surprise ;-)
I have to same output. What do you want to say?

$ rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64

Greetings,
Björn
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bjoern Voigt
In reply to this post by Alexandre Singh
Alex DWS wrote:

> I don't have this issue on my Tumbleweed PC.
>
> Output of 'lsb_release -a':
> LSB Version: n/a
> Distributor ID: openSUSE
> Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed
> Release: 20180114
> Codename: n/a
>
> And as far as I know, Steam doesn't modify lsb-release files. The only
> related code in 'steam.sh' that I found is this one: https://paste.opensuse.org/56a6c59f
Yes, Steam does not modify /etc/lsb-release, but it reads /etc/lsb-release.

I have nearly the same output:

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:   
core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64:desktop-4.0-amd64:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.2-amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: openSUSE
Description:    openSUSE Tumbleweed
Release:        20180116
Codename:       n/a

I updated steam.sh like Neal suggested:

function detect_distro()
{
        if [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
                (. /etc/os-release; echo $ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
        elif [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
                (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
        elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
                echo "debian"
        else
                # Generic fallback
                uname -s
        fi
}

function detect_release()
{
        if [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
                (. /etc/os-release; echo $VERSION_ID)
        elif [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
                (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_RELEASE)
        elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
                cat /etc/debian_version
        else
                # Generic fallback
                uname -r
        fi
}

Anyway, Steam does not work. I also tried to delete
~/.local/share/Steam, so that /usr/bin/steam downloads Steam again.

Greetings,
Björn


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Alexandre Singh
Did you try launching Steam in terminal?
It could give you some details on what's going on.
And be sure that 'steamtricks' is installed (should be, it's required).

--

                                  ___
                          Alex aka DarthWound
                        Global Steam Moderator



Le jeudi 18 janvier 2018 à 13:20 +0100, Bjoern Voigt a écrit :

> Alex DWS wrote:
> > I don't have this issue on my Tumbleweed PC.
> >
> > Output of 'lsb_release -a':
> > LSB Version: n/a
> > Distributor ID: openSUSE
> > Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed
> > Release: 20180114
> > Codename: n/a
> >
> > And as far as I know, Steam doesn't modify lsb-release files. The
> > only
> > related code in 'steam.sh' that I found is this one: https://paste.
> > opensuse.org/56a6c59f
>
> Yes, Steam does not modify /etc/lsb-release, but it reads /etc/lsb-
> release.
>
> I have nearly the same output:
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:  
> core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-
> 3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64:desktop-4.0-amd64:desktop-4.0-
> noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.2-
> amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch
> Distributor ID: openSUSE
> Description:    openSUSE Tumbleweed
> Release:        20180116
> Codename:       n/a
>
> I updated steam.sh like Neal suggested:
>
> function detect_distro()
> {
>         if [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/os-release; echo $ID | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')
>         elif [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_ID | tr '[A-Z]'
> '[a-z]')
>         elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
>                 echo "debian"
>         else
>                 # Generic fallback
>                 uname -s
>         fi
> }
>
> function detect_release()
> {
>         if [ -f /etc/os-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/os-release; echo $VERSION_ID)
>         elif [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]; then
>                 (. /etc/lsb-release; echo $DISTRIB_RELEASE)
>         elif [ -f /etc/debian_version ]; then
>                 cat /etc/debian_version
>         else
>                 # Generic fallback
>                 uname -r
>         fi
> }
>
> Anyway, Steam does not work. I also tried to delete
> ~/.local/share/Steam, so that /usr/bin/steam downloads Steam again.
>
> Greetings,
> Björn
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bruno Friedmann-2
In reply to this post by Bjoern Voigt
On jeudi, 18 janvier 2018 13.14:37 h CET Bjoern Voigt wrote:

> Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> > rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
> >
> > lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64 on TW
> >
> > surprise surprise ;-)
>
> I have to same output. What do you want to say?
>
> $ rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
> lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64
>
> Greetings,
> Björn

Was more directed to Neal who seems to believe those files are not in the
package ...

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 Bareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Bjoern Voigt
In reply to this post by Alexandre Singh
Alex DWS wrote:
> Did you try launching Steam in terminal?
> It could give you some details on what's going on.
> And be sure that 'steamtricks' is installed (should be, it's required).
Yes, it is:

# rpm -qa | grep steam
steamtricks-data-20170518.71f4ec6-1.2.noarch
steam-1.0.0.54-5.2.x86_64
libopenssl1_0_0-steam-32bit-1.0.2n-1.2.x86_64
steamtricks-0.3.0-1.4.noarch
libopenssl1_0_0-steam-1.0.2n-1.2.x86_64
steam-controller-1.0.0.54-5.2.x86_64

Steam hangs on startup and shows errors.

myusername@mybox:~> glxinfo | head -n 18
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_ARB_create_context,
    GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness,
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_libglvnd,
    GLX_EXT_stereo_tree, GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear,
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_NV_copy_image, GLX_NV_delay_before_swap, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4

myusername@mybox:~> steam
Running Steam on opensuse 20180116 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Greetings,
Björn
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Neal Gompa
In reply to this post by Bruno Friedmann-2
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Bruno Friedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On jeudi, 18 janvier 2018 13.14:37 h CET Bjoern Voigt wrote:
>> Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> > rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
>> >
>> > lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64 on TW
>> >
>> > surprise surprise ;-)
>>
>> I have to same output. What do you want to say?
>>
>> $ rpm -qf /etc/lsb-release
>> lsb-4.0-31.1.x86_64
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Björn
>
> Was more directed to Neal who seems to believe those files are not in the
> package ...
>

No, I knew that it's part of the lsb package, but it shouldn't exist.



--
真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: /etc/lsb-release and Steam

Thorsten Kukuk
On Thu, Jan 18, Neal Gompa wrote:

> No, I knew that it's part of the lsb package, but it shouldn't exist.

Sorry, but this is not correct. The LSB does not define how something
should be implemented, this is free to the distributor. The LSB only
defines the interface for consumers. And the file is even part of the
reference implementation.

So the file exist, it is correct that it is exist (we need a place to
store this informations), but you are not allowed to use it, you have
to use the lsb-release command for this.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & CaaSP
SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]