download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Verwijs
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op vrijdag 8 september 2017 11:32:07 CEST schreef Verwijs:
> With download repo's down, witch is the best alternative mirrior(s) ??
>

> Thanks
> André
The best alternative mirror currently is the one called patience :-)
Seriously: things should be back to normal within the next 24 hours. I'd
rather be patient for a day then updating from mirrors ( which may not have
been updated at all due to the download.o.o. outage.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Teamtrus

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Marcus Meissner

The download repos are being reestablished and most are available or are
becoming available already.

It is best to just wait.

Ciao, Marcus
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 02:32:07AM -0700, Verwijs wrote:

> With download repo's down, witch is the best alternative mirrior(s) ??
>

> Thanks
> André
>

> -----
> Dank U..
> Thank You..
> My Twitter Page:
> http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
> My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
> http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs
> My Google+ page (follow me please )
> André Verwijs - Google+ .
> --
> Sent from: http://opensuse.14.x6.nabble.com/opensuse-factory-f3292933.html

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Werner Flamme
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink [08.09.2017 11:37]:

> Op vrijdag 8 september 2017 11:32:07 CEST schreef Verwijs:
>> With download repo's down, witch is the best alternative mirrior(s) ??
>>

>> Thanks
>> André
> The best alternative mirror currently is the one called patience :-)
> Seriously: things should be back to normal within the next 24 hours. I'd
> rather be patient for a day then updating from mirrors ( which may not have
> been updated at all due to the download.o.o. outage.

At least the (german) mirrors I looked at have the home:* repos
synchronized last in March or April. This year ;)

Werner

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Mathias Homann-2

Am 08.09.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Werner Flamme:

> Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink [08.09.2017 11:37]:
>> Op vrijdag 8 september 2017 11:32:07 CEST schreef Verwijs:
>>> With download repo's down, witch is the best alternative mirrior(s) ??
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> André
>> The best alternative mirror currently is the one called patience :-)
>> Seriously: things should be back to normal within the next 24 hours. I'd
>> rather be patient for a day then updating from mirrors ( which may not have
>> been updated at all due to the download.o.o. outage.
>>
> At least the (german) mirrors I looked at have the home:* repos
> synchronized last in March or April. This year ;)

0.o

ah well, at least this year.

seriously, april this year?

name and shame please. If these mirrors can't (or won't) refresh
regularly they should not be mirroring that stuff.

Cheers
MH

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Werner Flamme
Mathias Homann [08.09.2017 12:44]:

> Am 08.09.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Werner Flamme:
>> Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink [08.09.2017 11:37]:

>>> The best alternative mirror currently is the one called patience :-)
>>> Seriously: things should be back to normal within the next 24 hours. I'd
>>> rather be patient for a day then updating from mirrors ( which may not have
>>> been updated at all due to the download.o.o. outage.
>>>
>> At least the (german) mirrors I looked at have the home:* repos
>> synchronized last in March or April. This year ;)
>

> 0.o
>
> ah well, at least this year.
>

> seriously, april this year?
>
> name and shame please. If these mirrors can't (or won't) refresh
> regularly they should not be mirroring that stuff.
I remember looking at ftp.gwdg.de and
ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/.

- The latter doesn't even have any of the home:* repos.

- on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
changed in August.
<http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains the
current version.

Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There were
several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.

Werner

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Werner Flamme <[hidden email]> wrote:

- on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
> changed in August.
> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains the
> current version.
>
> Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There were
> several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.

I see this as a general thing. I think some mirrors I get sent to are
quite a bit behind D.O.O.  When I view them in a browser, lots might
not be there. I admin this is more often the case when a new openSUSE
release comes out. But it is not limited to then.

Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?

OOC, when running zypper, it lists the D.O.O URL, even though it is
getting things from a mirror. I sometimes find it hard to know which
mirror was the troublesome one. Perhaps I am missing something.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Per Jessen
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Werner Flamme <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> - on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
>> changed in August.
>> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains the
>> current version.
>>
>> Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There were
>> several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.
>
> I see this as a general thing. I think some mirrors I get sent to are
> quite a bit behind D.O.O.  When I view them in a browser, lots might
> not be there. I admin this is more often the case when a new openSUSE
> release comes out. But it is not limited to then.
>
> Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
> that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?

https://mirrors.opensuse.org/ will show you the mirrors and what they
mirror.  mirrorbrain does some regular probing, but I'm not sure if it
also maintains some overall status, like "how stale".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Dave Plater lst

On 08/09/2017 14:55, Per Jessen wrote:

> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Werner Flamme <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> - on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
>>> changed in August.
>>> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains the
>>> current version.
>>>
>>> Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There were
>>> several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.
>>
>> I see this as a general thing. I think some mirrors I get sent to are
>> quite a bit behind D.O.O.  When I view them in a browser, lots might
>> not be there. I admin this is more often the case when a new openSUSE
>> release comes out. But it is not limited to then.
>>
>> Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
>> that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?
>
> https://mirrors.opensuse.org/ will show you the mirrors and what they
> mirror.  mirrorbrain does some regular probing, but I'm not sure if it
> also maintains some overall status, like "how stale".

I see a problem with the link to my local mirror
http://opensuse.mirror.ac.za/ it has an "/opensuse" added to the link
which doesn't exist. BTW I have both the mirror and the actual leap:42.3
repos enabled with a higher priority for the mirror and it syncs very
quickly. It also has obs home repos.
Dave P

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirror..??

Per Jessen
Per Jessen wrote:

> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Werner Flamme <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> - on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
>>> changed in August.
>>> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains
>>> the current version.
>>>
>>> Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There
>>> were several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.
>>
>> I see this as a general thing. I think some mirrors I get sent to are
>> quite a bit behind D.O.O.  When I view them in a browser, lots might
>> not be there. I admin this is more often the case when a new openSUSE
>> release comes out. But it is not limited to then.
>>
>> Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
>> that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?
>
> https://mirrors.opensuse.org/ will show you the mirrors and what they
> mirror.  mirrorbrain does some regular probing, but I'm not sure if it
> also maintains some overall status, like "how stale".

Just fyi, rsync on staging.opensuse.org is not currently answering, so I
expect all mirrors will be out-of-sync.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.9°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Dave Plater wrote:

> I see a problem with the link to my local mirror
> http://opensuse.mirror.ac.za/ it has an "/opensuse" added to the link
> which doesn't exist.

It's probably worth reporting that to [hidden email] - but it also ought to
mean that mirror isn't included by mirrorbrain.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.7°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Simon Lees-3

On 08/09/17 21:37, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Werner Flamme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> - on the GWDG host my own home:werfl has the old repo structure I
>> changed in August.
>> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/werfl/> contains the
>> current version.
>>
>> Those are quite big mirrors, so I hardly believed my eyes. There were
>> several others I looked at, but I don't remember them.
>
> I see this as a general thing. I think some mirrors I get sent to are
> quite a bit behind D.O.O.  When I view them in a browser, lots might
> not be there. I admin this is more often the case when a new openSUSE
> release comes out. But it is not limited to then.
>
> Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
> that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?
>
> OOC, when running zypper, it lists the D.O.O URL, even though it is
> getting things from a mirror. I sometimes find it hard to know which
> mirror was the troublesome one. Perhaps I am missing something.

I wouldn't expect most mirrors to mirror all the home repositories thats
a huge amount of data, any mirror thats keeping all the official repos
up to date is more then enough.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: download repos down - witch is the best alt. mirrior..??

Jan Engelhardt-4

>On 08/09/17 21:37, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>>
>> Is there some sort of mirror quality indicator? Like using the ones
>> that have syncd with the repo within some time frame?

MirrorBrain which is running download.opensuse.org should have exactly
that information to issue the redirects correctly.
Now only to find whether MB exposes the information in a
compressed-for-humans indicator :p