difference between kde_plasma and kde

George from the tribe
The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to
install kde, or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern
using zypper:

zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma

Then I was able to log into kde and got everything configured. Things
were working fine.

But I noticed that certain applications weren't there, like kcalc, and
gwenview, and other things that I thought were standard for kde.

So I did a zypper search, and found that I had not installed the pattern
called "kde". So I then ran

zypper in -t pattern kde

And now I have all those other applications that am used to.

All this came about because when I did the initial install from the
installation dvd, I selected gnome instead of kde as my desktop.

So my question is, what is the difference between the kde and kde_plasma
patterns in the repositories? Is it just that the kde pattern is all the
standard applications, while the kde_plasma is the desktop without most
of the applications?

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB

Re: difference between kde_plasma and kde

Anton Aylward-2
On 16/06/17 08:13 AM, George from the tribe wrote:

> The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to install kde,
> or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern using zypper:
>
> zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma
>
>[...]
>
> zypper in -t pattern kde
>
> And now I have all those other applications that am used to.

Indeed.

My question is this
        What repositories did the updates/installs for each of those come from?

it cold well be that there is an 'extra' repository for kde-plasma and the
maintainers have chosen to put some things in there instead.

I don't know.  it's a "maybe".

But not knowing the repositories, the extra repositories, you have or that exist
that you don't have, I can only speculate.

--
Originality is the art of remembering the quote but forgetting the source.

Re: difference between kde_plasma and kde

Patrick Shanahan-2
* George from the tribe <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:

> The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to install
> kde, or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern using zypper:
>
> zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma
>
> Then I was able to log into kde and got everything configured. Things were
> working fine.
>
> But I noticed that certain applications weren't there, like kcalc, and
> gwenview, and other things that I thought were standard for kde.
>
> So I did a zypper search, and found that I had not installed the pattern
> called "kde". So I then ran
>
> zypper in -t pattern kde
>
> And now I have all those other applications that am used to.
>
> All this came about because when I did the initial install from the
> installation dvd, I selected gnome instead of kde as my desktop.
>
> So my question is, what is the difference between the kde and kde_plasma
> patterns in the repositories? Is it just that the kde pattern is all the
> standard applications, while the kde_plasma is the desktop without most of
> the applications?

zypper if patterns-kde-kde_plasma patterns-kde-kde

On 06/16/2017 07:41 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 16/06/17 08:13 AM, George from the tribe wrote:
>> The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to install kde,
>> or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern using zypper:
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde
>>
>> And now I have all those other applications that am used to.
>
> Indeed.
>
> My question is this
> What repositories did the updates/installs for each of those come from?
>

> it cold well be that there is an 'extra' repository for kde-plasma and the
> maintainers have chosen to put some things in there instead.
>
> I don't know.  it's a "maybe".
>
> But not knowing the repositories, the extra repositories, you have or that exist
> that you don't have, I can only speculate.

They were both installed from the repository I have labeled as
"openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss", which was set up through the standard
installation on the DVD install disk.

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB
Laptop #1: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD FX 7TH GEN  | 64 | 12GB
Laptop #2: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | Core i5         | 64 | 8GB

Re: difference between kde_plasma and kde

George from the tribe

> * George from the tribe <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:
>> The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to install
>> kde, or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern using zypper:
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma
>>
>> Then I was able to log into kde and got everything configured. Things were
>> working fine.
>>
>> But I noticed that certain applications weren't there, like kcalc, and
>> gwenview, and other things that I thought were standard for kde.
>>
>> So I did a zypper search, and found that I had not installed the pattern
>> called "kde". So I then ran
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde
>>
>> And now I have all those other applications that am used to.
>>
>> All this came about because when I did the initial install from the
>> installation dvd, I selected gnome instead of kde as my desktop.
>>
>> So my question is, what is the difference between the kde and kde_plasma
>> patterns in the repositories? Is it just that the kde pattern is all the
>> standard applications, while the kde_plasma is the desktop without most of
>> the applications?
>

> zypper if patterns-kde-kde_plasma patterns-kde-kde

Ok, I ran those commands. I won't post all the results here, but in
summary, it is as I thought, the kde_plasma pattern is basically the
pattern that includes what is necessary to run X, some basic
applications, and other base line stuff. But the full suite of
applications, mostly written in qt (I think), that make KDE powerful are
in the pattern "kde", which has to be installed separately.

I am curious as to why these are separate? Perhaps there are some people
that would want to have the plasma5 desktop, but would not want all the
KDE applications, preferring to use gnome applications or some other
suite? Interesting that it is set up this way.