Quantcast

dhcpcd terminating on signal 15

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
 From Konqueror
file:/var/log/localmessages

Sep  7 15:46:32 spy dhcpcd[5588]: terminating on signal 15

Why would I be receiving many(5-8 per day)) of these messages in the log
file since Sept 7? I read from YAST that dhcpcd gets an IP address and
other information from a corresponding DHCP server, configures the
network interface automatically, and tries to renew the lease time
depending on the command line option.

I neeeded the NIC to get an IP from the ADSL router is is plugged into.

Is this one of the messages that would be generated each time I powered
the machine down or what?

Info appreciated
Hykton
--
#!/bin/bash
echo "================================================================="

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dhcpcd terminating on signal 15

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Sunday 05 November 2006 11:08, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:

>  From Konqueror
> file:/var/log/localmessages
>
> Sep  7 15:46:32 spy dhcpcd[5588]: terminating on signal 15
>
> Why would I be receiving many(5-8 per day)) of these messages in the log
> file since Sept 7? I read from YAST that dhcpcd gets an IP address and
> other information from a corresponding DHCP server, configures the
> network interface automatically, and tries to renew the lease time
> depending on the command line option.
>
> I neeeded the NIC to get an IP from the ADSL router is is plugged into.
>
> Is this one of the messages that would be generated each time I powered
> the machine down or what?

Yes, when you power down, all applications currently running will get sent
signal SIGTERM, which is number 15, asking "politely" to exit. This is to
give an application a chance to save any currently open data etc.

If after a short while the application is still running, it will get sent
signal SIGKILL, or number 9, which is less polite, and will cause the
application to exit immediately

If you run "kill -l" you will get a list of all defined signals and their
numbers

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dhcpcd terminating on signal 15

Peo Nilsson
On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 12:08 +0200, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Is this one of the messages that would be generated each time I powered
> the machine down or what?

I also use DHCP (suse 10.0)
In my /var/log/localmessages the only posts there is the last 4 days is:
"dhcpcd[xxxx] DHCP_NAK server response recived""
This occurs ~every hour on my mashine.
Nothing else occurs when rebooting the mashine.

--
/Peo

--
Registered Linux User #432116, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dhcpcd terminating on signal 15

John Andersen
On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:08, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Why would I be receiving many(5-8 per day)) of these messages in the log
> file since Sept 7? I read from YAST that dhcpcd gets an IP address and
> other information from a corresponding DHCP server, configures the
> network interface automatically, and tries to renew the lease time
> depending on the command line option.
>
> I neeeded the NIC to get an IP from the ADSL router is is plugged into.

Unless you have configured dhcpd weirdly, it does not try to
renew based on command line options.  It renews prior to the expiration
time of the lease.  Typically after half the lease period has expired.

You may want to see how long a lease is offered by the router.
Set it up to the maximum.

Also if it says it is terminating it may have decided that it got
a non-expiring lease (because your dhcp server in the router
may have a reservation for that particular machine).  In that case
I believe it just terminates.

But, really, I gotta ask....
 How is it you have time to worry about 5 messages
in the log of a machine that is not giving you any
problems....   ;-)

--
John Andersen