device.map

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

device.map

Charles R. Buchanan

There's only one entry which is as follows:

(hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab

I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda and
sdb (the two single drives, correct?


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, [hidden email] wrote:
> There's only one entry which is as follows:
> (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
> I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda and sdb
> (the two single drives, correct?

What raid controller are you using?  I have a system that has a raid 10
with 4 drivers.  It works really well.  I can boot to XP or OpenSUSE 10.2.

It has 4 entries.
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
(hd2) /dev/sdc

So yes, I think there is something wrong with it.

--
Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Darryl Gregorash
In reply to this post by Charles R. Buchanan
On 2007-01-30 22:34, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> There's only one entry which is as follows:
> (hd0)    /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
> I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda
> and sdb (the two single drives, correct?
>
Good grief, that makes no sense at all. Perhaps it is an artifact of a
failed installation (?).

Rename the device.map file, then run
   
          grub --device-map

and see what it generates.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

jdd@dodin.org
In reply to this post by Boyd Lynn Gerber
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, [hidden email] wrote:
>> There's only one entry which is as follows:
>> (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
>> I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda and sdb
>> (the two single drives, correct?
>
> What raid controller are you using?  I have a system that has a raid 10
> with 4 drivers.  It works really well.  I can boot to XP or OpenSUSE 10.2.
>
> It has 4 entries.
> (fd0) /dev/fd0
> (hd0) /dev/sda
> (hd1) /dev/sdb
> (hd2) /dev/sdc
>
> So yes, I think there is something wrong with it.
>
> --
> Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
> ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

notice that I have:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd1)   /dev/sda
(hd0)   /dev/hda

and there is presently _no_ /dev/sda on my computer, so I wonder how
this file is generated :-)
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Votez pour nous, merci - vote for us, thanks :-)
http://musique.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/Magic-Alliance/
http://photo.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/jddphoto/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Carl Hartung
In reply to this post by Darryl Gregorash
On Wed January 31 2007 02:28, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> On 2007-01-30 22:34, [hidden email] wrote:
> > There's only one entry which is as follows:
> > (hd0)    /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
> > I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda
> > and sdb (the two single drives, correct?
>
> Good grief, that makes no sense at all. Perhaps it is an artifact of a
> failed installation (?).
>
> Rename the device.map file, then run
>
>           grub --device-map
>
> and see what it generates.

Hi Darryl,

I wonder what /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab actually is? A quick Google
on "/dev/mapper/*" yields links concerning RAID, LVM, one thread is
on "strange problems with REALLY long filesystems" [Charles' qualifies,]
several others on encrypted root filesystems... gibberish or artifact or
remnant, whatever, this really deserves a closer look since the system has
on-board hardware RAID.

I can't wait to see what grub produces for a device.map, either!

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

jdd@dodin.org
Carl Hartung wrote:

>>           grub --device-map

this gives only an error (lacking parameter), but "grub" alone
(followed by quit) build a valid map

jdd




--
http://www.dodin.net
Votez pour nous, merci - vote for us, thanks :-)
http://musique.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/Magic-Alliance/
http://photo.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/jddphoto/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by jdd@dodin.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


The Wednesday 2007-01-31 at 08:30 +0100, jdd wrote:

> notice that I have:
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd1)   /dev/sda
> (hd0)   /dev/hda
>
> and there is presently _no_ /dev/sda on my computer, so I wonder how this file
> is generated :-)

I supposse there was an sda at the time it was generated.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine 1.76

iD8DBQFFwGdutTMYHG2NR9URAvz5AJ0V1ew+Av/i0V2v13OaeH0WPxVovgCglEgH
7z+WmagQO5yUHsFV/WbCibU=
=hvaG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

jdd@dodin.org
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
> The Wednesday 2007-01-31 at 08:30 +0100, jdd wrote:
>
>> notice that I have:
>>
>> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
>> (hd1)   /dev/sda
>> (hd0)   /dev/hda
>>
>> and there is presently _no_ /dev/sda on my computer, so I wonder how this file
>> is generated :-)
>
> I supposse there was an sda at the time it was generated.

sure (some kind of usb device), but this mean grub don't really care
of this file and build one when necessary

jdd


--
http://www.dodin.net
Votez pour nous, merci - vote for us, thanks :-)
http://musique.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/Magic-Alliance/
http://photo.sfrjeunestalents.fr/artiste/jddphoto/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Charles R. Buchanan
In reply to this post by Boyd Lynn Gerber

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:12:40 -0700, Boyd Lynn Gerber <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

(^_^)On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, [hidden email] wrote:
(^_^)> There's only one entry which is as follows:
(^_^)> (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
(^_^)> I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda and sdb
(^_^)> (the two single drives, correct?
(^_^)
(^_^)What raid controller are you using?  I have a system that has a raid 10
(^_^)with 4 drivers.  It works really well.  I can boot to XP or OpenSUSE 10.2.
(^_^)
(^_^)It has 4 entries.
(^_^)(fd0) /dev/fd0
(^_^)(hd0) /dev/sda
(^_^)(hd1) /dev/sdb
(^_^)(hd2) /dev/sdc
(^_^)
(^_^)So yes, I think there is something wrong with it.
(^_^)
(^_^)--
(^_^)Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>

The raid controller itself is 'ati 4379'  the driver itself is sil
something or another.

I don't have a floppy drive in this computer.  


Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Charles R. Buchanan
Charles R. Buchanan writes:

>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:12:40 -0700, Boyd Lynn Gerber <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:
>
> (^_^)On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, [hidden email] wrote:
> (^_^)> There's only one entry which is as follows:
> (^_^)> (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_ahabbjcdfeab
> (^_^)> I am assuming that it should have more than this? There should be sda and sdb
> (^_^)> (the two single drives, correct?
> (^_^)
> (^_^)What raid controller are you using?  I have a system that has a raid 10
> (^_^)with 4 drivers.  It works really well.  I can boot to XP or OpenSUSE 10.2.
> (^_^)
> (^_^)It has 4 entries.
> (^_^)(fd0) /dev/fd0
> (^_^)(hd0) /dev/sda
> (^_^)(hd1) /dev/sdb
> (^_^)(hd2) /dev/sdc
> (^_^)
> (^_^)So yes, I think there is something wrong with it.
> (^_^)
> (^_^)--
> (^_^)Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
>
> The raid controller itself is 'ati 4379'  the driver itself is sil
> something or another.
>
> I don't have a floppy drive in this computer.  
>
>
> Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
> -Will Rogers
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
 

This is the output when I did the grub --device-map=device.map command:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
(hd2) /dev/sdc
(hd3) /dev/sdd

It looks good except I don't have a floppy and I haven't tested anything and
I can't because I'm running late as it is. :-(
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Darryl Gregorash
On 2007-01-31 08:14, [hidden email] wrote:

> <snip>
>
> This is the output when I did the grub --device-map=device.map command:
> (fd0)    /dev/fd0
> (hd0)    /dev/sda
> (hd1)    /dev/sdb
> (hd2)    /dev/sdc
> (hd3)    /dev/sdd
> It looks good except I don't have a floppy and I haven't tested
> anything and I can't because I'm running late as it is. :-(
That is just fine. You may not have a floppy drive installed, but you
probably have a controller, and that might be the reason a floppy is
listed. It doesn't really matter (you can even remove that line if you
wish).

With this and your /etc/fstab, it is possible to rebuild grub's
menu.lst. Your root device is /dev/sda8, and /boot is on it (ie. not a
separate partition). In grub, this is (hd0,7). Thus

       gfxmenu (/dev/sda,7)/boot/message

should read

       gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message

(I missed just how that original line got that way in the first place.
Did you read it somewhere? Whoever suggested that notation is out of his
tree.)

Curiously, your Windows section in menu.lst is OK. However, the "root"
command in both openSuSE sections is wrong. It should read:

  root (hd0,7)

The kernel options are correct insofar as partition references are
concerned (ie. the root= and resume= options).

It is possible that the grub MBR contains incorrect offsets because of
these errors. However, correct menu.lst only and see if you can boot; we
can re-install the grub boot record later, if that proves to be necessary.

The only other possible source of a problem is a missing or incorrect
stage 1.5 file embedded in the grub MBR. We'll check that if the above
corrections do not work.


--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Darryl Gregorash
In reply to this post by jdd@dodin.org
On 2007-01-31 03:32, jdd wrote:
> Carl Hartung wrote:
>
>>>           grub --device-map
>
> this gives only an error (lacking parameter), but "grub" alone
> (followed by quit) build a valid map
>
>
More proof never to trust the programmer to write the documentation (I
took my remarks straight from "info grub") :-)

Thanks for the correction.


--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map

Charles R. Buchanan

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:15:16 -0600, Darryl Gregorash <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

(^_^)On 2007-01-31 03:32, jdd wrote:
(^_^)> Carl Hartung wrote:
(^_^)>
(^_^)>>>           grub --device-map
(^_^)>
(^_^)> this gives only an error (lacking parameter), but "grub" alone
(^_^)> (followed by quit) build a valid map
(^_^)>
(^_^)>
(^_^)More proof never to trust the programmer to write the documentation (I
(^_^)took my remarks straight from "info grub") :-)
(^_^)
(^_^)Thanks for the correction.

I did enter that command at first, but as Carl stated, came up with
errors. I did figure out what to do though, so there IS some hope for me
yet! :-)

Thanks!   Will try your recommendation(s) later on if I get the chance.
(I work late tonight)  

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Carl Hartung
In reply to this post by Darryl Gregorash
On Wed January 31 2007 14:13, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> With this and your /etc/fstab, it is possible to rebuild grub's
> menu.lst. Your root device is /dev/sda8, and /boot is on it (ie. not a
> separate partition). In grub, this is (hd0,7). Thus
>
>        gfxmenu (/dev/sda,7)/boot/message
>
> should read
>
>        gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message
<snip>
> The kernel options are correct insofar as partition references are
> concerned (ie. the root= and resume= options).

Hi Darryl,

The repaired menu.lst I posted yesterday (quoted below) seems to match your
interpretation. One thing, though, I 'clipped out' one of the two apparent
Windows installations thinking it could be added back later, manually or via
the bootloader configuration module. That, and confirming the version numbers
for his installed initrd and vmlinuz, are the only outstanding questions for
this part of the puzzle.

> - - - - - 8< - - - - -
> # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Jan 28 20:13:54 PST 2007
> default 0
> timeout 12
> gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
> title openSUSE 10.2
>     root (hd0,7)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/sda8
> resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent showopts
>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Windows ###
> title windows 1
>    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
> title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
>     root (hd0,7)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/sda8 showopts
> ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
>
> - - - - - 8< - - - - -

> It is possible that the grub MBR contains incorrect offsets because of
> these errors. However, correct menu.lst only and see if you can boot; we
> can re-install the grub boot record later, if that proves to be necessary.

agreed

> The only other possible source of a problem is a missing or incorrect
> stage 1.5 file embedded in the grub MBR. We'll check that if the above
> corrections do not work.

agreed

If Charles is working a full day today we many not know the results before
late evening (EDT).

regards,

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Darryl Gregorash
On 2007-01-31 13:36, Carl Hartung wrote:
> <snip>
> the bootloader configuration module. That, and confirming the version numbers
> for his installed initrd and vmlinuz, are the only outstanding questions for
> this part of the puzzle.
>  
Initrd? Vmlinuz? I never even looked at that. There should be symlinks,
/boot/initrd and /boot/vmlinuz, to the correct files. I must be asleep,
I just assumed those symlinks were used in the menu entries. (Of course,
trying to wind through 5 or 6 separate threads trying to find everything
didn't make for an easy search.)


--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Carl Hartung
On Wed January 31 2007 15:18, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> Initrd? Vmlinuz? I never even looked at that. There should be symlinks,
> /boot/initrd and /boot/vmlinuz, to the correct files. I must be asleep,
> I just assumed those symlinks were used in the menu entries. (Of course,
> trying to wind through 5 or 6 separate threads trying to find everything
> didn't make for an easy search.)

Well, this thread has multiplied substantially so losing a detail here or
there is understandable. In fact, I was momentarily puzzled when I saw the
version numbers but got distracted before following up on it. /I/ didn't add
them on /my/ system... could be an update script?... the bootloader
configuration module? The links exist here under /boot... <sigh>... I guess
the thing to do is remove the version bits from menu.lst and confirm/create
the appropriate links, like I'm about to do here :-)

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Darryl Gregorash
On 2007-01-31 14:34, Carl Hartung wrote:

> On Wed January 31 2007 15:18, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>  
>> Initrd? Vmlinuz? I never even looked at that. There should be symlinks,
>> <snip>
>>    
>
> Well, this thread has multiplied substantially so losing a detail here or
> there is understandable. In fact, I was momentarily puzzled when I saw the
> version numbers but got distracted before following up on it. /I/ didn't add
> them on /my/ system... could be an update script?... the bootloader
>  
They aren't included in mine either. In fact, 9.3 didn't even put a
"root" command (I have a separate /boot partition):

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE LINUX 9.3
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=normal selinux=0
splash=silent resume=/dev/hdb3  showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

(Without a separate /boot partition, those kernel and initrd locations
would of course be (hd0,0)/boot/<filename>.)

This entire thread has been very confusing and puzzling. I have never
seen any reports of this kind of behaviour in the grub install routines,
nor have I ever encountered a problem with those routines myself. The
only thing that comes to mind is that Charles might have inadvertently
interrupted the bootloader routine when he installed his system (unless
he sought to modify it manually, and made an error that Yast did not
catch -- no extra computer here to test out that possibility). I
certainly do not think it is an installation bug.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Carl Hartung
On Wed January 31 2007 17:09, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> This entire thread has been very confusing and puzzling. I have never
> seen any reports of this kind of behaviour in the grub install routines,
> nor have I ever encountered a problem with those routines myself.

I ran into a similar problem when I first installed 10.1 to test drive it.
10.0 was my daily desktop and I'd kept 9.3 as a backup on an adjacent
partition. Moreover, I'd just added a much larger third disk and a combined
six or seven additional partitions. /home and /swap were designated to be
shared across all three Linux installations, plus slices for the XP side and
backups. This obviously confused the installer. I didn't check what the
bootloader configuration module was going to write. I just accepted it...
trusting soul :-) ... because I'd never had a problem with it before. But the
system stumbled and locked up at next boot.

I booted into 9.3 normally (no changes) and inspected the situation. Sure
enough, the default and 10.1 portions of menu.lst were incorrectly written...
specifically, wrong partition numbers. The paths were correct, but it had
misinterpreted which slice was 10.1 '/'. The system was fine after I cleaned
it up manually. Now I purposely take the time to visually confirm what it
wants to do before committing. No more problems.

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Charles R. Buchanan
In reply to this post by Darryl Gregorash

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:09:46 -0600, Darryl Gregorash <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:


(^_^)This entire thread has been very confusing and puzzling. I have never
(^_^)seen any reports of this kind of behaviour in the grub install routines,
(^_^)nor have I ever encountered a problem with those routines myself. The
(^_^)only thing that comes to mind is that Charles might have inadvertently
(^_^)interrupted the bootloader routine when he installed his system (unless
(^_^)he sought to modify it manually, and made an error that Yast did not
(^_^)catch -- no extra computer here to test out that possibility). I
(^_^)certainly do not think it is an installation bug.

You know, these things just seem to happen only to me! :-(  I would say
in the past four years, I have installed many different flavors of Linux,
and this is the first time anything like this happened. Never had a
problem installing the bootloader. Whether it was lilo or grub.  As far
as installation interuptus, nope, I've always let it do its thing. Like
Carl, I'm a trusting soul! :-)  I mean, why would this install be any
different than the others was the mindset. I had no reason to think it
would have all these problems.



Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd

Charles R. Buchanan
In reply to this post by Carl Hartung

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:36:47 -0500, Carl Hartung <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

(^_^)Hi Darryl,
(^_^)
(^_^)The repaired menu.lst I posted yesterday (quoted below) seems to match your
(^_^)interpretation. One thing, though, I 'clipped out' one of the two apparent
(^_^)Windows installations thinking it could be added back later, manually or via
(^_^)the bootloader configuration module. That, and confirming the version numbers
(^_^)for his installed initrd and vmlinuz, are the only outstanding questions for
(^_^)this part of the puzzle.
(^_^)
(^_^)> - - - - - 8< - - - - -
(^_^)> # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Jan 28 20:13:54 PST 2007
(^_^)> default 0
(^_^)> timeout 12
(^_^)> gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message
(^_^)>
(^_^)> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
(^_^)> title openSUSE 10.2
(^_^)>     root (hd0,7)
(^_^)>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/sda8
(^_^)> resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent showopts
(^_^)>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
(^_^)>
(^_^)> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Windows ###
(^_^)> title windows 1
(^_^)>    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
(^_^)>    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
(^_^)>
(^_^)> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
(^_^)> title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
(^_^)>     root (hd0,7)
(^_^)>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/sda8 showopts
(^_^)> ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
(^_^)>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
(^_^)>
(^_^)> - - - - - 8< - - - - -
(^_^)
(^_^)> It is possible that the grub MBR contains incorrect offsets because of
(^_^)> these errors. However, correct menu.lst only and see if you can boot; we
(^_^)> can re-install the grub boot record later, if that proves to be necessary.
(^_^)
(^_^)agreed
(^_^)
(^_^)> The only other possible source of a problem is a missing or incorrect
(^_^)> stage 1.5 file embedded in the grub MBR. We'll check that if the above
(^_^)> corrections do not work.
(^_^)
(^_^)agreed
(^_^)
(^_^)If Charles is working a full day today we many not know the results before
(^_^)late evening (EDT).
(^_^)
(^_^)regards,
(^_^)
(^_^)Carl

I'm not certain if I posted it or not, but the version numbers are the
same.  

<drum roll>

After re-checking the fstab, menu.lst and device.map files, I decided to
give it a try.

<pause for affect>

I have some good news and some not so bad news I guess. I went to
re-install the bootloader, and it did NOT give me the error it has been
giving me. That's the "good" news. the "not so bad news" is, There's
still no grub bootloader when the computer boots up. :-(  It still goes
straight into XP. Which will be the default anyway if the bootloader was
actually functioning. So that's where things are right now. Good Night!

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this far.




Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12