desktop messages

M Harris-2
hi folks,

I have a server running with several vncserver sessions. Five folks have
desktops running on this machine. What is the command to send a desktop
message from one users desktop to another?   CLI or GUI, I don't care which.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: desktop messages

Patrick Shanahan-2
* M Harris <[hidden email]> [08-01-09 14:13]:

> I have a server running with several vncserver sessions. Five folks have
> desktops running on this machine. What is the command to send a desktop
> message from one users desktop to another?   CLI or GUI, I don't care which.

If memory serves, walk and talk are two that do that.
--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: desktop messages

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
M Harris pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> I have a server running with several vncserver sessions. Five folks have
> desktops running on this machine. What is the command to send a desktop
> message from one users desktop to another?   CLI or GUI, I don't care which.

CLI - the command would be wall (as root)

Ex.

wall
system going down for maintenance, please logoff now
^d (On a blank line)

The ctrl-d must be on a blank line to send the message which can span
several lines if needed.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: desktop messages

M Harris-2
On Saturday 01 August 2009 14:39, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> CLI - the command would be wall (as root)
>
> Ex.
>
> wall
> system going down for maintenance, please logoff now
> ^d (On a blank line)
>
> The ctrl-d must be on a blank line to send the message which can span
> several lines if needed.

Thanks--to everyone, 'preciate it!

--
Kind regards,