dependency loop

richard-g8jvm
Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
loop,
transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
yast thinks its in transcode.
This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!

Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
tarball as its screws up the files database.

Richard

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dependency loop

richard-g8jvm
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:45 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
> loop,
> transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
> yast thinks its in transcode.
> This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!
>
> Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
> tarball as its screws up the files database.

It appears if you just keep telling yast to install it

So have the developers actually put in a "dont argue" mode if you just
keep clicking ignore dependency !!!!!
/r

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

RE: dependency loop

Greg Wallace-2

On Monday, August 07, 2006 @ 12:56 PM, Richrd Bown wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:45 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
>> Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
>> loop,
>> transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
>> yast thinks its in transcode.
>> This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!
>>
>> Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
>> tarball as its screws up the files database.

>It appears if you just keep telling yast to install it

>So have the developers actually put in a "dont argue" mode if you just
>keep clicking ignore dependency !!!!!
>/r

Ain't that the truth!  I had a similar situation not long ago.  Clicking he
box to ignore dependencies simply had no effect, the box just kept popping
back up asking the same question.  Between that and the zen-rug mess they
really did a number on the entire software installation construct in 10.1.

Greg Wallace

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 13:19 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:

> On Monday, August 07, 2006 @ 12:56 PM, Richrd Bown wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:45 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> >> Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
> >> loop,
> >> transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
> >> yast thinks its in transcode.
> >> This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!
> >>
> >> Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
> >> tarball as its screws up the files database.
>

> >It appears if you just keep telling yast to install it
>
> >So have the developers actually put in a "dont argue" mode if you just
> >keep clicking ignore dependency !!!!!
> >/r
>
> Ain't that the truth!  I had a similar situation not long ago.  Clicking he
> box to ignore dependencies simply had no effect, the box just kept popping
> back up asking the same question.  Between that and the zen-rug mess they
> really did a number on the entire software installation construct in 10.1.
>
> Greg Wallace

Maybe someone should have a look at Mandrake/mandriva's urpmi. That when
told to install and don't argue about it, it blissfully obeys.
Don't know when you'll get this reply as the isp's mail servers are
down.

Richard

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dependency loop

Basil Chupin
Richard Bown wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 13:19 -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:

>>> It appears if you just keep telling yast to install it
>>> So have the developers actually put in a "dont argue" mode if you just
>>> keep clicking ignore dependency !!!!!
>>> /r
>> Ain't that the truth!  I had a similar situation not long ago.  Clicking he
>> box to ignore dependencies simply had no effect, the box just kept popping
>> back up asking the same question.  Between that and the zen-rug mess they
>> really did a number on the entire software installation construct in 10.1.
>>
>> Greg Wallace
>
> Maybe someone should have a look at Mandrake/mandriva's urpmi. That when
> told to install and don't argue about it, it blissfully obeys.
> Don't know when you'll get this reply as the isp's mail servers are
> down.
>
> Richard

Install the smart package manager for SuSE at http://labix.org/smart
and remove zen.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: dependency loop

Anders Johansson-3
On Monday 07 August 2006 18:45, Richard Bown wrote:
> Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
> loop,
> transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
> yast thinks its in transcode.
> This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!
>
> Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
> tarball as its screws up the files database.

I'm guessing you're getting the packages from packman. You can add packman as
an installation source in YaST (see the packman FAQ for info) and then it
will automatically download the package you're installing and its
dependencies

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 11:11 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Monday 07 August 2006 18:45, Richard Bown wrote:
> > Hi , I'd like to install transcode, but a problem there is a dependency
> > loop,
> > transcode fails to install as it needs pvm, if you try to install pvm
> > yast thinks its in transcode.
> > This all bringing back memories of last time I tried Suse (6.3)!
> >
> > Any ideas how to get round this, I don't like installing from a
> > tarball as its screws up the files database.
>
> I'm guessing you're getting the packages from packman. You can add packman as
> an installation source in YaST (see the packman FAQ for info) and then it
> will automatically download the package you're installing and its
> dependencies

hej Anders

I have 2 pacman sources already configured, the problem was yast.
I had to tell it to ignore the dependencies and install many times
before it did as it was told
mvh