-debuginfo package naming change proposal

-debuginfo package naming change proposal

Richard Biener

Hi,

currently we have an inconsistency with naming debuginfo packages
for multilib packages (-32bit, -64bit).

Packages that build multilibs themselves like gcc produce for example
libgcc_s1-32bit to which then rpm appends -debuginfo to form
libgcc_s1-32bit-debuginfo.  This is upstream rpm behavior.

Now we have another way of producing multilib packages, namely via
the baselibs.conf machinery which has a default rule to produce
libgcc_s1-debuginfo-32bit.

This is inconsistent and results in gdb making invalid suggestions
about debuginfo packages to install (it suggests glibc-32bit-debuginfo
instead of glibc-debuginfo-32bit).

The proposal is to fix the SUSE specific baselibs.conf script to
instead produce X-32bit-debuginfo from X-debuginfo.

If there are no objections to this plan we'll go forward with this.

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <[hidden email]>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: -debuginfo package naming change proposal

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 8. Februar 2017, 13:29:28 CET schrieb Richard Biener:

> currently we have an inconsistency with naming debuginfo packages
> for multilib packages (-32bit, -64bit).
>
> Packages that build multilibs themselves like gcc produce for example
> libgcc_s1-32bit to which then rpm appends -debuginfo to form
> libgcc_s1-32bit-debuginfo.  This is upstream rpm behavior.
>
> Now we have another way of producing multilib packages, namely via
> the baselibs.conf machinery which has a default rule to produce
> libgcc_s1-debuginfo-32bit.
>
> This is inconsistent and results in gdb making invalid suggestions
> about debuginfo packages to install (it suggests glibc-32bit-debuginfo
> instead of glibc-debuginfo-32bit).
>
> The proposal is to fix the SUSE specific baselibs.conf script to
> instead produce X-32bit-debuginfo from X-debuginfo.

Sounds like a good idea ;-)

Please make sure to add an Obsoletes: to make sure the debuginfo
packages with the "wrong" name get uninstalled.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
[~/.gtkrc] Brauche ich für Mozilla Firebird, sonst macht der
"Faustgroße Killerschriften greifen an!" in Formularen.