cron not running crontabs?

stephan beal
Hi, Susers!

Suse 10.1, our cron is not running the crontab files nor
the /etc/cron.daily/* files:

GENERAL:/space/backups # date
Sun Sep 10 14:04:49 CEST 2006
GENERAL:/space/backups # crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.XXXXHkpDsg installed on Fri Sep  8 10:34:28 2006)
# (Cron version V5.0 -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.12 2004/01/23 18:56:42 vixie
Exp $)
SHELL=/bin/bash
# Run backups:
55 23 * * * cd /space/backups && ./navigating-backups >/dev/null

This job is never running, despite having been installed a couple days
ago.

GENERAL:/space/backups # ps -ef | grep cron
root      2945     1  0 Sep05 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron

What's the workaround for getting cron to "just work" as it should?

i've never had (never noticed) this problem on previous Suse releases.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Patrick Shanahan
* stephan beal <[hidden email]> [09-10-06 08:22]:
> Suse 10.1, our cron is not running the crontab files nor
> the /etc/cron.daily/* files:

is cron running??

ps ux|grep cron

if not, yast2 -> system -> runlevels
  and set cron to run

--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

On Sunday 10 September 2006 14:46, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * stephan beal <[hidden email]> [09-10-06 08:22]:
> > Suse 10.1, our cron is not running the crontab files nor
> > the /etc/cron.daily/* files:
>
> is cron running??
>
> ps ux|grep cron

From the original post:

On Sunday 10 September 2006 16:00, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2006-09-10 at 14:18 +0200, stephan beal wrote:
> > This job is never running, despite having been installed a couple
> > days ago.
>
> Then check with another job, a single command, running every two
> minutes till you get it running. My guess is that it doesn't like the
> syntax.

crontab:

* * * * * touch /tmp/crontest

Now:

GENERAL:/tmp # for i in a a a a; do ls -la crontest; sleep 60; done

Curiously, the job does indeed run. That said, there is absolutely
nothing wrong with this:

GENERAL:/space/backups # crontab -l
SHELL=/bin/bash
55 23 * * * cd /space/backups && ./navigating-backups >/dev/null

Except that cron refuses to run it. i've used this type of syntax for
years in crontabs without any problems.

The mentioned dirs and script file exit, and i can copy/paste that
command to the console and it will run.

i'm also unclear why cron scripts under the /etc/cron.* directories are
not run. i first had my backup installed under /etc/cron.daily.
/etc/crontab runs /usr/lib/crons/run-crons every 15 minutes (or is
supposed to, anyway). In fact, /etc/crontab has the exact same syntax
as my cron job:

-*/15 * * * *   root  test -x /usr/lib/cron/run-crons
&& /usr/lib/cron/run-crons >/dev/null 2>&1

(wordwrapped)

except for the curious leading '-', which i've never seen in crontabs
before but is explained in 'man 5 crontab' (it prevents a syslog entry
from being written when the job is run).

i've also tried simplifying my cronjob to:

14 17 * * * /space/backups/navigating-backups >/dev/null

and doing my 'cd /space/backups' in the script. No change.

???
i'm extremely confused

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands
of the will." -- Alan W. Watts

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Sandy Drobic
stephan beal wrote:

> On Sunday 10 September 2006 16:00, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> The Sunday 2006-09-10 at 14:18 +0200, stephan beal wrote:
>>> This job is never running, despite having been installed a couple
>>> days ago.
>> Then check with another job, a single command, running every two
>> minutes till you get it running. My guess is that it doesn't like the
>> syntax.
>
> crontab:
>
> * * * * * touch /tmp/crontest
>
> Now:
>
> GENERAL:/tmp # for i in a a a a; do ls -la crontest; sleep 60; done
>
> Curiously, the job does indeed run. That said, there is absolutely
> nothing wrong with this:
>
> GENERAL:/space/backups # crontab -l
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> 55 23 * * * cd /space/backups && ./navigating-backups >/dev/null

Could you try it with absolute path instead of ./navigating-backups?

Sandy
--
List replies only please!

On Sunday 10 September 2006 18:27, Sandy Drobic wrote:
> > SHELL=/bin/bash
> > 55 23 * * * cd /space/backups && ./navigating-backups >/dev/null
>
> Could you try it with absolute path instead of ./navigating-backups?

i tried that, but it didn't make any difference (as well it shouldn't).

On Sunday 10 September 2006 19:16, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Well, I insist that you define the "mailto" variable. You will get
> the error report. And remove the dev/null thing and put a real file
> (or nothing, for the email).

i have set the mailto, and no mail is set. It's simply as if the job is
ignored by cron.

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Sunday 10 September 2006 21:08, stephan beal wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 19:16, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Well, I insist that you define the "mailto" variable. You will get
> > the error report. And remove the dev/null thing and put a real file
> > (or nothing, for the email).
>
> i have set the mailto, and no mail is set. It's simply as if the job is
> ignored by cron.

Have you tried rewriting the line?

What is the character immediately following the 5th asterisk? Make sure it is
a tab character

On Sunday 10 September 2006 21:22, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 21:08, stephan beal wrote:
> > i have set the mailto, and no mail is set. It's simply as if the
> > job is ignored by cron.
>
> Have you tried rewriting the line?

Several times :(

> What is the character immediately following the 5th asterisk? Make
> sure it is a tab character

It was a space, i've replaced it with a tab, but that doesn't make a
difference (as it shouldn't). Vixie cron isn't as picky as Solaris
cron.

My crontab low looks like:

SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILTO=stephan
32 9 * * *      /space/backups/navigating-backups

(That's a tab between fields 5 and 6)

And i get no mail, no output, no nothing. It's simply ignoring the cron
job. The very minimal output should be something like "nothing to do",
because the script is just running a makefile which might determine
that all targets are up to date.

Looking through last month's archives on this list, someone else had a
similar problem and no solution was every proposed. It looks like i'm
going to have to start, as a workaround, using 'at' jobs which
automatically reschedule themselves after running.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands
of the will." -- Alan W. Watts

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Rick Friedman
On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 09:35 +0200, stephan beal wrote:

> It was a space, i've replaced it with a tab, but that doesn't make a
> difference (as it shouldn't). Vixie cron isn't as picky as Solaris
> cron.
>
> My crontab low looks like:
>
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> MAILTO=stephan
> 32 9 * * *      /space/backups/navigating-backups
>
> (That's a tab between fields 5 and 6)
>
> And i get no mail, no output, no nothing. It's simply ignoring the cron
> job. The very minimal output should be something like "nothing to do",
> because the script is just running a makefile which might determine
> that all targets are up to date.
>

> Looking through last month's archives on this list, someone else had a
> similar problem and no solution was every proposed. It looks like i'm
> going to have to start, as a workaround, using 'at' jobs which
> automatically reschedule themselves after running.
I had a similar problem. On Sept. 3, I started a thread titled: "Cron
Not Running Tasks". Someone sent me something to check (although I don't
see it within the thread itself). They stated that if you change a
crontab, cron needs several minutes before recognizing the change. As it
turned out, that was my problem.

I recently came over from Debian Linux. I was used to being able to
change a time in a crontab to within a minute of the current time. It
would run with no problem. With SuSE, changing the run time of a task to
a time so close in the future would cause cron to not run the job at
all. Perhaps you are doing this as well?

Try changing the time for a task to something 10 or 15 minutes in the
future and see if the cron daemon runs it then. It solved my problem.
Cron is happily running my crontab tasks.

Rick
--
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.
PGP Key Id: 9E1125E0

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Patrick Shanahan
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [09-11-06 10:04]:

> Another problem happens depending on the editor used for cron files:
> if the timestamp of the dir holding the modified file doesn't change
> (act.  the modtime), cron does not notice. This is documented, in
> fact. I remember that joe or mcedit had that problem, but I don't
> remember which one.

probably mcedit, which I do not use.  I do use joe and have no problems
with cron  :^).

On Monday 11 September 2006 16:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Monday 2006-09-11 at 08:39 -0400, Rick Friedman wrote:
> > I had a similar problem. On Sept. 3, I started a thread titled:
> > "Cron Not Running Tasks". Someone sent me something to check
> > (although I don't see it within the thread itself). They stated
> > that if you change a crontab, cron needs several minutes before
> > recognizing the change. As it turned out, that was my problem.
>
> Now that you mention that...
>
> Another problem happens depending on the editor used for cron files:
> if the timestamp of the dir holding the modified file doesn't change
> (act. the modtime), cron does not notice. This is documented, in
> fact. I remember that joe or mcedit had that problem, but I don't
> remember which one.
i was using 'pico' - don't know if that's affected.

The jobs are indeed now running. i can't explain why they didn't
initially run. After creating a couple "bogus" jobs which only echo and
such, and setting the cron time to "far" in the future (15 minutes), it
appears to work. Stupid, but true.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands
of the will." -- Alan W. Watts

Re: cron not running crontabs?

Frank Bax
At 11:03 AM 9/11/06, stephan beal wrote:

>On Monday 11 September 2006 16:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The Monday 2006-09-11 at 08:39 -0400, Rick Friedman wrote:
> > > I had a similar problem. On Sept. 3, I started a thread titled:
> > > "Cron Not Running Tasks". Someone sent me something to check
> > > (although I don't see it within the thread itself). They stated
> > > that if you change a crontab, cron needs several minutes before
> > > recognizing the change. As it turned out, that was my problem.
> >
> > Now that you mention that...
> >
> > Another problem happens depending on the editor used for cron files:
> > if the timestamp of the dir holding the modified file doesn't change
> > (act. the modtime), cron does not notice. This is documented, in
> > fact. I remember that joe or mcedit had that problem, but I don't
> > remember which one.
>
>i was using 'pico' - don't know if that's affected.
>
>The jobs are indeed now running. i can't explain why they didn't
>initially run. After creating a couple "bogus" jobs which only echo and
>such, and setting the cron time to "far" in the future (15 minutes), it
>appears to work. Stupid, but true.

Two minutes is long enough.  Cron checks the contab files on the "top"
(zero seconds) of each minute.  It needs to detect a change in the file at
the top of a minute, before it can execute the command at the top of next
minute.  If you make a change to crontab file at 10:56:55, then time should
be 10:58 or later for it to execute the same day, because change to file is
detected at 10:57 and cannot execute at that time.