configuring inn for mailing list gateway

configuring inn for mailing list gateway

jdd@dodin.org
Hello :-)

I try to configure inn and mailman as gateway for only one mailing
list :-(

I have mailman running and from there it seems easy to feed the news
server (not yet tried)

I now try to install inn. Right now it seems to work. I can connect to
the server with thunderbird

but I have a "Erreur avec les groupes (NNTP) : You have no permission
to talk.  Goodbye!" message

On a first step I would like to open the group for anybody (on a
second step, I would like to limit it to the mailing list subscribers,
but I will see this later)

I don't find the way on the inn faq

port 119 is open and masqueraded from the gateway. I didn't have this
error message before masquerading, so I beg it's inn that give it?

there was an other server at the same URL before (dead), do this can
give a problem?

openSUSE 12.1 everywhere

any help?

thanks

jdd

Re: configuring inn for mailing list gateway

Per Jessen-2
jdd wrote:

> Hello :-)
>
> I try to configure inn and mailman as gateway for only one mailing
> list :-(
>
> I have mailman running and from there it seems easy to feed the news
> server (not yet tried)

It should work fine.  I haven't tried mailman's news gateway facility,
mainly because my news-feeds are from other mailing lists, not my own.

> I now try to install inn. Right now it seems to work. I can connect to
> the server with thunderbird
>
> but I have a "Erreur avec les groupes (NNTP) : You have no permission
> to talk.  Goodbye!" message

Look at /etc/news/readers.conf (typed from memory).

inn is not easyly configured IMHO, but somthing like this might get you
started:

access public {
    users: "default"
    newsgroups: *,!junk,!control,!control.*,!local.*
    virtualhost:  news.example.com
    access: R
}

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.5°C)

Re: configuring inn for mailing list gateway

jdd@dodin.org
well, some progress. I could find a very old backup of the inn config
file in the old server. Copying the config of the old readers.conf:

auth "remote" {
     hosts: "*"
     default: "<remote>"
}

access "remote" {
     users: "<remote>"
     newsgroups: "*.culte.org"
     access: RP
}

at least stopped the error message

I created a group with

ctlinnd newgroup linux-31

and restarted inn with

systemctl restart inn.service

but I have nothing in the subscribe group list of thunderbrd

(server is news.culte.org, you can test)

what did I miss?

thanks
jdd

Re: configuring inn for mailing list gateway

jdd@dodin.org
I don't know if I made clear that I want to create a news group, for
the use of my lug. This group have to be freely accessed by anybody,
but do not need to be feeded (but can be without problem if somebody
wants)

by the way here is the mode:

/usr/lib/news/bin/ctlinnd mode
Server running
Allowing remote connections
Parameters c 10 i 50 (0) l 5000000 o 1011 t 300 H 2 T 60 X 0 normal
specified
Not reserved
Readers follow enabled
Perl filtering enabled

any link to a recent documentation should be appreciated

jdd wrote:

> well, some progress. I could find a very old backup of the inn config
> file in the old server. Copying the config of the old readers.conf:
>
> auth "remote" {
>      hosts: "*"
>      default: "<remote>"
> }
>

> access "remote" {
>      users: "<remote>"
>      newsgroups: "*.culte.org"
>      access: RP
> }
>
> at least stopped the error message
>
> I created a group with
>
> ctlinnd newgroup linux-31

I think your newsgroups: in the access {} above needs to say:

newsgroups: *

or

newsgroups: linux-31

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.1°C)

Le 23/02/2012 16:47, Per Jessen a écrit :

> I think your newsgroups: in the access {} above needs to say:
>
> newsgroups: *
>
> or
>
> newsgroups: linux-31

seems reasonable... and works!!