chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

Per Jessen
With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would play
around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I have no
intention of switching.

With ntp, I use multicast ff05::101 which is not supported in chrony, so
I figured I could maybe add a link-local address (which is what ntp
gets via ff05::101). I tried these, but none of them work:

server fe80::208:2ff:fe58:7fac iburst
server [fe80::208:2ff:fe58:7fac] iburst
server fe80::208:2ff:fe58:7fac%eth0 iburst
server [fe80::208:2ff:fe58:7fac%eth0] iburst

chrony doesn't compain about any of them, but doesn't synchronise
either.

Just nagging - the default chrony config uses 0.opensuse.pool.ntp.org
which doesn't have a single ipv6 address.  Only 2.opensuse.pool.ntp.org
seems to have any.  Maybe it would be sensible to let chrony use pools
0-3 by default, just as the default ntp config does.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.2°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

Peter Suetterlin-2
Per Jessen wrote:
> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would play
> around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I have no
> intention of switching.

Learning is always good :)
Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
In the latter case:  I've switched my desktop to systemd-timesyncd since a few
weeks or so, and removed ntp.  It's quite inconspicuous, I can't tell if it
works with ipv6 though, my servers are ipv4 only....

(sorry for semi-OT)

Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would
>> play around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I
>> have no intention of switching.
>
> Learning is always good :)
> Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?

It looks to me to be both.  Not a drop-in replacement for ntp, but
close.

> In the latter case:  I've switched my desktop to systemd-timesyncd
> since a few weeks or so, and removed ntp.  It's quite inconspicuous, I
> can't tell if it works with ipv6 though, my servers are ipv4 only....

ntp is such a solid part of our infrastructure, I don't see any point in
switching, only effort.  Also, chrony does not appear to have support
for hardware reference clocks, which is a bit odd.  I may have
misunderstood.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.3°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

Freek de Kruijf
Op vrijdag 2 februari 2018 14:03:17 CET schreef Per Jessen:

> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
> > Per Jessen wrote:
> >> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would
> >> play around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I
> >> have no intention of switching.
> >
> > Learning is always good :)
> > Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
>
> It looks to me to be both.  Not a drop-in replacement for ntp, but
> close.
>
> > In the latter case:  I've switched my desktop to systemd-timesyncd
> > since a few weeks or so, and removed ntp.  It's quite inconspicuous, I
> > can't tell if it works with ipv6 though, my servers are ipv4 only....
>
> ntp is such a solid part of our infrastructure, I don't see any point in
> switching, only effort.  Also, chrony does not appear to have support
> for hardware reference clocks, which is a bit odd.  I may have
> misunderstood.

systemd-timesyncd is especially usefull on systems without a hardware clock
with battery. It also lacks the server capability.

In my view chrony has some extended functionality above ntp, but only few need
that. Most systems only need the client functionality. More information on
chrony:
https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf

Per Jessen wrote:

> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>
>> Per Jessen wrote:
>>> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would
>>> play around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I
>>> have no intention of switching.
>>
>> Learning is always good :)
>> Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
>
> It looks to me to be both.  Not a drop-in replacement for ntp, but
> close.

There is a comparison here, I don't how accurate it is:

https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html

> Also, chrony does not appear to have support for hardware reference
> clocks, which is a bit odd.  I may have misunderstood.

See "Reference Clocks" on the link above.  It says "Number of
HW-specific drivers:  chrony=0".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.0°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Per Jessen wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>
> > Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> >> Learning is always good :)
> >> Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
> >
> > It looks to me to be both.  Not a drop-in replacement for ntp, but
> > close.
>
> There is a comparison here, I don't how accurate it is:
>
> https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html
>
> > Also, chrony does not appear to have support for hardware reference
> > clocks, which is a bit odd.  I may have misunderstood.
>
> See "Reference Clocks" on the link above.  It says "Number of
> HW-specific drivers:  chrony=0".

See last sentence there:

  ntp includes a large number of drivers for various hardware reference
  clocks. chrony requires other programs (e.g. gpsd or ntp-refclock) to provide
  reference time via the SHM or SOCK interface.

Apart from that it seems to have nice features indeed.  I think I should also
have a closer look at it at least...

Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Per Jessen wrote:

>> > It looks to me to be both.  Not a drop-in replacement for ntp, but
>> > close.
>>
>> There is a comparison here, I don't how accurate it is:
>>
>> https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html
>>
>> > Also, chrony does not appear to have support for hardware reference
>> > clocks, which is a bit odd.  I may have misunderstood.
>>
>> See "Reference Clocks" on the link above.  It says "Number of
>> HW-specific drivers:  chrony=0".
>
> See last sentence there:
>
>   ntp includes a large number of drivers for various hardware
>   reference clocks. chrony requires other programs (e.g. gpsd or
>   ntp-refclock) to provide reference time via the SHM or SOCK
>   interface.

Ah, I missed that bit.

Well, hurdle#1 is still $SUBJ :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

On 2018-02-02 12:57, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would play
>> around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I have no
>> intention of switching.
>
> Learning is always good :)
> Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
> In the latter case:  I've switched my desktop to systemd-timesyncd since a few
> weeks or so, and removed ntp.  It's quite inconspicuous, I can't tell if it
> works with ipv6 though, my servers are ipv4 only....
>
> (sorry for semi-OT)
So, we have now three "clock sync" methods?

ntp
chrony
systemd-timesyncd

I see the later good only to sync desktop machines to a time source in
the office server or outside. As client. If the intention is to serve
the time, then use ntpd.

Chrony is unknown to me.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-02-02 12:57, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
> > Per Jessen wrote:
> >> With Leap15 switching to chrony instead of ntp, I thought I would play
> >> around with it, see if it is really up to it.  Just playing, I have no
> >> intention of switching.
> >
> > Learning is always good :)
> > Is chrony a replacement for ntp as server, or client only?
> > In the latter case:  I've switched my desktop to systemd-timesyncd since a few
> > weeks or so, and removed ntp.  It's quite inconspicuous, I can't tell if it
> > works with ipv6 though, my servers are ipv4 only....
> >
> > (sorry for semi-OT)
>
> So, we have now three "clock sync" methods?

Nothing wrong with choices, I'd say ;^>

> ntp
> chrony
> systemd-timesyncd
>
> I see the later good only to sync desktop machines to a time source in
> the office server or outside. As client. If the intention is to serve
> the time, then use ntpd.
>
> Chrony is unknown to me.

Same here, but the comparison link Per posted is quite interesting.
E.g., as client chrony seems more flexible in adjusting larger deviations.  I've
had ntp failing to properly sync because of that...

For sure there must be a reason the switch is done...

(and maybe it's a better choice than the intended firewall switch :o - SCNR)

Re: chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

James Knott
On 02/02/2018 02:00 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> So, we have now three "clock sync" methods?
>
> ntp
> chrony
> systemd-timesyncd
>
> I see the later good only to sync desktop machines to a time source in
> the office server or outside. As client. If the intention is to serve
> the time, then use ntpd.
>
> Chrony is unknown to me.

Does anybody really know what time it is?  ;-)

Re: chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* James Knott <[hidden email]> [02-03-18 08:46]:

> On 02/02/2018 02:00 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > So, we have now three "clock sync" methods?
> >
> > ntp
> > chrony
> > systemd-timesyncd
> >
> > I see the later good only to sync desktop machines to a time source in
> > the office server or outside. As client. If the intention is to serve
> > the time, then use ntpd.
> >
> > Chrony is unknown to me.
> >

> Does anybody really know what time it is?  ;-)

I know what the time *was* and can predict what it will be, but ....

Re: chrony - correct format for an ipv6 address?

james-2
On 02/03/2018 08:44 AM, James Knott wrote:

> On 02/02/2018 02:00 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> So, we have now three "clock sync" methods?
>>
>> ntp
>> chrony
>> systemd-timesyncd
>>
>> I see the later good only to sync desktop machines to a time source in
>> the office server or outside. As client. If the intention is to serve
>> the time, then use ntpd.
>>
>> Chrony is unknown to me.
>>

> Does anybody really know what time it is?  ;-)

when i get up i dont know what time, let alone what day it is. there is
a use for a phone i guess :)

jim.