chromium "Restore?" at every login

johnm
Hello,

Its been a couple years, thought I would check in on this issue. In the
past upstream has said non-bug, its a problem with your window manager
or kde. And downstream says its an upstream problem... more or less
thats how it goes... chrome/chromium wants to be closed a certain way
and KDE isn't doing it that way.

Anyway the issue is, everytime I login to KDE and start chromium, I get
the "Restore Pages?" prompt. Yes thats what I want to happen
automatically, put all my tabs back how I left them when I quit. But the
prompt comes up and I have to click the prompt. I do this several times
a day, every day.

Any hope to fix this year?

thanks, sincerely john

Re: chromium "Restore?" at every login

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Freitag, 21. September 2018, 20:29:11 schrieb s2 johnm:
> Any hope to fix this year?

Well, it probably won't get fixed by mentioning it *here*... ;-)

X11 Session management is a client/server protocol (in this case,
Plasma/ksmserver is the "server" and Chrome/Chromium is the "client"), it
needs to be implemented correctly by *both* sides to make it work as expected.

So, the main question is which side is "wrong", I suppose.

As it works with other clients AFAICT, one could argue that the problem lies
rather with Chrome/Chromium than with Plasma/ksmserver, but it might be an
edge case.

Maybe you could provide references to your statement that both sides say it's
a problem on the other side? (to have more context)

What *might* happen is that Chrome/Chromium doesn't respond in time to the
request to save its state, and so gets killed by ksmserver (which actually
*is* part of the protocol AFAIK).

I don't have Chrome or Chromium installed myself though, so can't tell what
happens.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: chromium "Restore?" at every login

johnm
Here are some recent references. I haven't found the one yet where a
chromium dev said WONTFIX, but i've seen it more than once in the past.
Strange I can't find my old bug reports either. oh well. From what i've
read KDE / Plasma is not at fault IMO.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1051597/chrome-is-not-correctly-closed-when-kde-session-ends

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=429404

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=126520

https://superuser.com/questions/237608/how-to-hide-chrome-warning-after-crash

thanks,
johnm

Am Dienstag, 25. September 2018, 22:32:29 schrieb s2 johnm:
> From what i've read KDE / Plasma is not at fault IMO.

Yes, from what I read in your links, it's supposedly a problem in
Chrome/Chromium indeed. (and the Chromium bug report you posted is still
open...)

A suggestion is that it crashes on logout, do you experience that?
If you have the package "systemd-coredump" installed, that should be listed by
running "coredumpctl", I suppose.

Not much we can do here from the KDE (or even openSUSE) side then, I'm afraid.

I may try to install chromium and have a look, but I don't want to promise it
TBH. (and actually I don't really want to hunt down and fix bugs in Chromium
anyway... :-/ )

Just out of curiosity: does it help if you switch Plasma to "Restore manually
saved session" (in systemsettings5->"Startup and Shutdown"->"Desktop Session")
and do save the session manually (in the application launcher)?

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:48:05 AM AKDT Wolfgang Bauer wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 25. September 2018, 22:32:29 schrieb s2 johnm:
>> From what i've read KDE / Plasma is not at fault IMO.
>
>Yes, from what I read in your links, it's supposedly a problem in
>Chrome/Chromium indeed. (and the Chromium bug report you posted is
>still open...)
>
>A suggestion is that it crashes on logout, do you experience that?
>If you have the package "systemd-coredump" installed, that should be
>listed by running "coredumpctl", I suppose.

Yes but you don't really see it. I don't think it throws an exception or
anything. It handles the kill SIG, but it just doesn't like it. I think
Chromium is either slow about closing, or just ignores the request. It
is always the last window hanging around on logout. The taskbar and
desktop is already closed, and you see the Chromium window sitting there
for a moment. Then I guess KDE decides to kill it. Logout finishes. And
Chromium now thinks that it has crashed, and it marks a file to know
that it has crashed.

Next login, start Chromium and you get the "Restore Pages?" prompt. One
workaround I've read is to write a launch script to "unmark the crash".
Kind of a hack, who knows if that will survive future updates.

I've tried a plasma shutdown script to close it cleanly, but it's not
fast enough or happens too late..?

:/  I have reasons for not using Firefox, so i'm kinda stuck with
Chromium.  One could just close chromium before logging out, but I've
developed a reflex for clicking the "Restore" prompt.

>Not much we can do here from the KDE (or even openSUSE) side then, I'm
>afraid.
>
>I may try to install chromium and have a look, but I don't want to
>promise it TBH. (and actually I don't really want to hunt down and fix
>bugs in Chromium anyway... :-/ )

I can understand that.

>Just out of curiosity: does it help if you switch Plasma to "Restore
>manually saved session" (in systemsettings5->"Startup and
>Shutdown"->"Desktop Session") and do save the session manually (in the
>application launcher)?

I will try it.

thanks,
johnm

Re: chromium "Restore?" at every login

johnm
This is working for me! Seems like I tried something like this in the
past and it didn't work. But it is now.

-johnm

#!/bin/bash
#
# KDE logout script
# try to workaround the stupid "Restore Pages" prompt that always comes
up when starting chromium
# after a logout. 'cleanly' close it so the WM doesn't kill it in a way
that chromium doesn't
# like.

killall chromium
sleep 1