checkinstall rpm not in repository

chanjp
I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept failing. It
appears the official rpms have been removed.

https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstall

Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I figured now
would be a good time to put in place better software building and installing
practices, and this would be a good place to start.

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-03-08 09:21, Chan Ju Ping wrote:
> I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept
> failing. It appears the official rpms have been removed.
>
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstall
>
>  Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I
> figured now would be a good time to put in place better software
> building and installing practices, and this would be a good place
> to start.

Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to use
OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also use OBS.

So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems without
creating the rpm. :-(

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Martin Pluskal-2

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Freek de Kruijf
Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 12:50:20 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On 2017-03-08 09:21, Chan Ju Ping wrote:
> > I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept
> > failing. It appears the official rpms have been removed.
> >
> > https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstal
> >
> >  Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I
> >
> > figured now would be a good time to put in place better software
> > building and installing practices, and this would be a good place
> > to start.
>
> Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to use
> OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also use OBS.
>
> So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems without
> creating the rpm. :-(

When you have a tar file with the source and you design a .spec file, which is
not too difficult, on your own system, you can use rpmbuild to build a rpm. In
a simple case, and I expect this to be, you can enter these two files in an
OBS project to make the rpm available in a repository.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf

On 2017-03-08 13:57, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
> Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 12:50:20 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
>> On 2017-03-08 09:21, Chan Ju Ping wrote:
>>> I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept
>>> failing. It appears the official rpms have been removed.
>>>
>>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstal

>>> Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I
>>>
>>> figured now would be a good time to put in place better
>>> software building and installing practices, and this would be a
>>> good place to start.
>>
>> Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to
>> use OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also
>> use OBS.
>>
>> So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems
>> without creating the rpm. :-(
>
> When you have a tar file with the source and you design a .spec
> file, which is not too difficult, on your own system, you can use
> rpmbuild to build a rpm.
Well, designing a .spec file is something I do not know how to do, it
is quite difficult for me. That is precisely what checkinstall automated.

Thus, rpmbuild is impossible to use, and even less OBS, wich I find
terribly complex.

See? You are trying to convince me to use OBS instead ;-)

Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 14:04:38 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On 2017-03-08 13:57, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
> > When you have a tar file with the source and you design a .spec
> > file, which is not too difficult, on your own system, you can use
> > rpmbuild to build a rpm.
>
> Well, designing a .spec file is something I do not know how to do, it
> is quite difficult for me. That is precisely what checkinstall automated.
>
> Thus, rpmbuild is impossible to use, and even less OBS, wich I find
> terribly complex.
>
> See? You are trying to convince me to use OBS instead ;-)

No, I am trying to convince you to put a little effort in designing a very
simple .spec file. When you browse build.opensuse.org and search for a project
which looks simple, you can find a simple .spec file that is an example for
your .spec file. I am not much of a programmer, but understanding a simple
.spec file appeared to be easy for me. rpmbuild requires a certain setup with
folders to put the source and the .spec file in. Invoking rpmbuild with a few
switches and the .spec file as parameters is all that is needed to get a .rpm
file in this setup of folders.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 12:50:20 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On 2017-03-08 09:21, Chan Ju Ping wrote:
> > I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept
> > failing. It appears the official rpms have been removed.
> >
> > https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstal
> >
> >  Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I
> >
> > figured now would be a good time to put in place better software
> > building and installing practices, and this would be a good place
> > to start.
>
> Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to use
> OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also use OBS.
>
> So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems without
> creating the rpm. :-(

Then use 10% of the time you spend making insinuations like 'neglect',
'force', having these endless right/wrong debates to get your hands on OBS.
You could become a top contributor.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 14:04:38 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On 2017-03-08 13:57, Freek de Kruijf wrote:

> >> Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to
> >> use OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also
> >> use OBS.
> >>
> >> So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems
> >> without creating the rpm. :-(
> >
> > When you have a tar file with the source and you design a .spec
> > file, which is not too difficult, on your own system, you can use
> > rpmbuild to build a rpm.
>
> Well, designing a .spec file is something I do not know how to do, it
> is quite difficult for me. That is precisely what checkinstall automated.
>
> Thus, rpmbuild is impossible to use, and even less OBS, wich I find
> terribly complex.
>
> See? You are trying to convince me to use OBS instead ;-)

I consider this "refusal to learn".  The appropriate URLs should be in your
mail dozens of times.

And, if you quote, do not leave out essential parts. This is what Freek wrote:

"When you have a tar file with the source and you design a .spec file, which is
not too difficult, on your own system, you can use rpmbuild to build a rpm. In
a simple case, and I expect this to be, you can enter these two files in an
OBS project to make the rpm available in a repository."

--

Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Malcolm
On Wed 08 Mar 2017 02:27:33 PM CST, Freek de Kruijf wrote:

>No, I am trying to convince you to put a little effort in designing a
>very simple .spec file. When you browse build.opensuse.org and search
>for a project which looks simple, you can find a simple .spec file
>that is an example for your .spec file. I am not much of a programmer,
>but understanding a simple .spec file appeared to be easy for me.
>rpmbuild requires a certain setup with folders to put the source and
>the .spec file in. Invoking rpmbuild with a few switches and the .spec
>file as parameters is all that is needed to get a .rpm file in this
>setup of folders.

Hi
No need to even design, it's already available;

vi test.spec

Or whatever the package is called.

Plus when using OBS (or osc locally) , far better checks (rpmlint) on
the end product to ensure it's really fit for use....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.36-44-default

On 2017-03-08 14:27, Freek de Kruijf wrote:

> Op woensdag 8 maart 2017 14:04:38 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
>> On 2017-03-08 13:57, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
>>> When you have a tar file with the source and you design a
>>> .spec file, which is not too difficult, on your own system, you
>>> can use rpmbuild to build a rpm.
>>
>> Well, designing a .spec file is something I do not know how to
>> do, it is quite difficult for me. That is precisely what
>> checkinstall automated.
>>
>> Thus, rpmbuild is impossible to use, and even less OBS, wich I
>> find terribly complex.
>>
>> See? You are trying to convince me to use OBS instead ;-)
>
> No, I am trying to convince you to put a little effort in designing
> a very simple .spec file. When you browse build.opensuse.org and
> search for a project which looks simple, you can find a simple
> .spec file that is an example for your .spec file. I am not much of
> a programmer, but understanding a simple .spec file appeared to be
> easy for me. rpmbuild requires a certain setup with folders to put
> the source and the .spec file in. Invoking rpmbuild with a few
> switches and the .spec file as parameters is all that is needed to
> get a .rpm file in this setup of folders.

Again, you are trying to convince me to not use checkinstall, see? :-)

I have been told for about two decades to not use checkinstall. To do
more or less what you describe. What you do not understand is that
*creating* an spec file is not something I can do. How do you expect
me to know what files to put inside? I have no idea.

There are tars that do contain an spec file, but it is designed for
another distribution. And you expect me to learn and find out how to
do that conversion!

Even on a complex build, checkinstall created automatically that spec
file, no thinking at all needed.

Instead of making checkinstall available on the distro, you all are
telling me to use tools that I find too difficult to use, to use
procedures that I find way too difficult to follow, and forget
checkinstall. Exactly what I said you do.

Well, no, I'm incapable of learning that skill. Call me stupid if you
wish.

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2

> On 2017-03-08 14:27, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, designing a .spec file is something I do not know how to
>>> do, it is quite difficult for me. That is precisely what
>>> checkinstall automated.
>>>
>>> Thus, rpmbuild is impossible to use, and even less OBS, wich I
>>> find terribly complex.
>>>
>>> See? You are trying to convince me to use OBS instead ;-)
>>
>> No, I am trying to convince you to put a little effort in designing
>> a very simple .spec file. When you browse build.opensuse.org and
>> search for a project which looks simple, you can find a simple
>> .spec file that is an example for your .spec file. I am not much of
>> a programmer, but understanding a simple .spec file appeared to be
>> easy for me. rpmbuild requires a certain setup with folders to put
>> the source and the .spec file in. Invoking rpmbuild with a few
>> switches and the .spec file as parameters is all that is needed to
>> get a .rpm file in this setup of folders.
>
> Again, you are trying to convince me to not use checkinstall, see? :-)
>
> I have been told for about two decades to not use checkinstall. To do
> more or less what you describe. What you do not understand is that
> *creating* an spec file is not something I can do. How do you expect
> me to know what files to put inside? I have no idea.
>
> There are tars that do contain an spec file, but it is designed for
> another distribution. And you expect me to learn and find out how to
> do that conversion!
>
> Even on a complex build, checkinstall created automatically that spec
> file, no thinking at all needed.
>

> Instead of making checkinstall available on the distro, you all are
> telling me to use tools that I find too difficult to use, to use
> procedures that I find way too difficult to follow, and forget
> checkinstall. Exactly what I said you do.
>

> Well, no, I'm incapable of learning that skill. Call me stupid if you
> wish.
>
> - --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
>                 Carlos E. R.

Hi,

I'm wondering whats the difficult in create a .spec file, especially
the part of don't know where to put files. Just do it whitout the
%files, it will display the files that are not owned, so you put this
files in %files sections...

Even a noob like me (no knowledge on any programming language,
incapable of create a single script) can do some packaging in OBS

Regards,

Luiz

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Wednesday 2017-03-08 19:39, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> I'm wondering whats the difficult in create a .spec file,
>> especially the part of don't know where to put files. Just do it
>> whitout the %files, it will display the files that are not owned,
>> so you put this files in %files sections...
>
>What will display that list?

Like he said, an empty %files list will cause rpm to emit a list of files that
are yet to be checked.

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2

> On Wednesday 2017-03-08 19:39, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> I'm wondering whats the difficult in create a .spec file,
>>> especially the part of don't know where to put files. Just do it
>>> whitout the %files, it will display the files that are not owned,
>>> so you put this files in %files sections...
>>
>>What will display that list?
>
> Like he said, an empty %files list will cause rpm to emit a list of files that
> are yet to be checked.
> --

Like this:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:elchevive/hello/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64

for this spec (I commented the files on %files sections and
%lang_package to produce the error)
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:elchevive/hello/hello.spec?expand=1

the spec run: make, make check and make install, nothing more

Regards

Luiz

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

gregfreemyer
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Carlos E. R.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-03-08 19:31, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering whats the difficult in create a .spec file,
>> especially the part of don't know where to put files. Just do it
>> whitout the %files, it will display the files that are not owned,
>> so you put this files in %files sections...
>
> What will display that list?
>
>> Even a noob like me (no knowledge on any programming language,
>> incapable of create a single script) can do some packaging in OBS
>
> Well, I do write scripts, and programs. I can't create specs.
>
> I see lists of files. I see defines. I see macros. I see... No, it is
> bewildering. :-(

Carlos,

At least take 10 minutes and see what it's like:

1) Use you bugzilla credential to log into https://build.opensuse.org/
    (that does some one time setup stuff the first time).

2) Install osc   (zypper in osc)

3) Create a new working directory tree area to work in.  I use ~/obs

mkdir ~/obs; cd ~obs

4) Check-out a package from OBS.  This will get dc3dd from Leap 42.1

osc co openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update dc3dd

5) Hop into the directory that now has the files needed to do a local build.

cd i~/obs/openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update/dc3dd

6) Confirm you can do a local build  (--local is needed for this
because the tarball is no longer on line where it was)

osc build --local

That causes a chroot jail to be built with a new set of RPMs
downloaded from OBS.  Inside the jail the build pre-reqs are installed
and the build performed.

The last few lines of the above tell you where to find the RPMs.  You
can install the RPMs or copy them to some local repo if you like.

7) Scream and shout that you have built your first set of RPMs via the
OBS/osc mechanism

8) Break the spec file by deleting the lines immediately following
%files near the end of the spec file

vi *.spec   (and comment out these 4 lines from the %files section

# %doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
# %doc *.txt
# %{_bindir}/dc3dd
# %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}

9) Try to build again, but note that you get errors at the end of the output:

osc build --local

[   39s] Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files
/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/dc3dd-7.2.0-0.x86_64
[   39s] error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
[   39s]    /usr/bin/dc3dd
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563.debug
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/dc3dd.debug
[   39s]    /usr/share/man/man1/dc3dd.1.gz
[   39s]
[   39s]
[   39s] RPM build errors:
[   39s]     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
[   39s]    /usr/bin/dc3dd
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563.debug
[   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/dc3dd.debug
[   39s]    /usr/share/man/man1/dc3dd.1.gz
[   39s]
[   39s] Thermaltake failed "build dc3dd.spec" at Wed Mar  8 19:19:29 UTC 2017.
[   39s]

10) Now the actual tricky part

Note that several of the unpackaged files are debug files.  Ignore them.

Look at the files you don't have included and at the lines you
commented out.  Note the correlation and uncomment these two:

%{_bindir}/dc3dd
%{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}

11)  Try the build again

osc build --local

Success again!

12) Compare what you have with what's in OBS

osc diff

 %files
 %defattr(-,root,root)
-%doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
-%doc *.txt
+# %doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
+# %doc *.txt
 %{_bindir}/dc3dd
 %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}

So you're removed the inclusion of some doc files, but at least for
building, that didn't break anything.  If you tried to issue an SR to
do that, you would get blocked.  Either by automation or a juman
review.

12) Restore you spec file to virgin

rm dc3dd.spec
osc up

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 03:35:57 MYT Greg Freemyer wrote:

> At least take 10 minutes and see what it's like:
>
> 1) Use you bugzilla credential to log into https://build.opensuse.org/
>     (that does some one time setup stuff the first time).
>
> 2) Install osc   (zypper in osc)
>
> 3) Create a new working directory tree area to work in.  I use ~/obs
>
> mkdir ~/obs; cd ~obs
>
> 4) Check-out a package from OBS.  This will get dc3dd from Leap 42.1
>
> osc co openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update dc3dd
>
> 5) Hop into the directory that now has the files needed to do a local
build.

> cd i~/obs/openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update/dc3dd
>
> 6) Confirm you can do a local build  (--local is needed for this
> because the tarball is no longer on line where it was)
>
> osc build --local
>
> That causes a chroot jail to be built with a new set of RPMs
> downloaded from OBS.  Inside the jail the build pre-reqs are installed
> and the build performed.
>

> The last few lines of the above tell you where to find the RPMs.  You
> can install the RPMs or copy them to some local repo if you like.
>
> 7) Scream and shout that you have built your first set of RPMs via the
> OBS/osc mechanism
>
> 8) Break the spec file by deleting the lines immediately following
> %files near the end of the spec file
>
> vi *.spec   (and comment out these 4 lines from the %files section
>
> # %doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
> # %doc *.txt
> # %{_bindir}/dc3dd
> # %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}
>
> 9) Try to build again, but note that you get errors at the end of the
Thanks for the clearly written tutorial. I will learn to do it this way
instead.

> output:
>
> osc build --local
>
> [   39s] Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files
> /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/dc3dd-7.2.0-0.x86_64
> [   39s] error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
> [   39s]    /usr/bin/dc3dd
> [   39s]
> /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563 [   39s]
>    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563.debug
> [   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/dc3dd.debug
> [   39s]    /usr/share/man/man1/dc3dd.1.gz
> [   39s]
> [   39s]
> [   39s] RPM build errors:
> [   39s]     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
> [   39s]    /usr/bin/dc3dd
> [   39s]
> /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563 [   39s]
>    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1b/4095a17a0d90380f46f99d989398e0f8d95563.debug
> [   39s]    /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/dc3dd.debug
> [   39s]    /usr/share/man/man1/dc3dd.1.gz
> [   39s]
> [   39s] Thermaltake failed "build dc3dd.spec" at Wed Mar  8 19:19:29 UTC
> 2017. [   39s]
>
> 10) Now the actual tricky part
>
> Note that several of the unpackaged files are debug files.  Ignore them.
>
> Look at the files you don't have included and at the lines you
> commented out.  Note the correlation and uncomment these two:
>
> %{_bindir}/dc3dd
> %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}
>
> 11)  Try the build again
>
> osc build --local
>
> Success again!
>
> 12) Compare what you have with what's in OBS
>
> osc diff
>
>  %files
>  %defattr(-,root,root)
> -%doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
> -%doc *.txt
> +# %doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
> +# %doc *.txt
>  %{_bindir}/dc3dd
>  %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}
>
> So you're removed the inclusion of some doc files, but at least for
> building, that didn't break anything.  If you tried to issue an SR to
> do that, you would get blocked.  Either by automation or a juman
> review.
>
> 12) Restore you spec file to virgin
>
> rm dc3dd.spec
> osc up
>
> ============
>
> And that's the first basics,  Admittedly there is a lot more to learn,
> but it is doable and the ability to checkout working packages as a
> reference really simplifies the learning curve.
>
> Greg

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Michal Kubecek
On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 19:20 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Again, you are trying to convince me to not use checkinstall, see? :-)
>
> I have been told for about two decades to not use checkinstall. To do
> more or less what you describe. What you do not understand is that
> *creating* an spec file is not something I can do. How do you expect
> me to know what files to put inside? I have no idea.

It's always very sad for me to see someone with this attitude. Were you
always like this? Like "reading is not something I can do"? Doesn't seem
so as you apparently can read now and I seriously doubt you could read
when you were born.

> There are tars that do contain an spec file, but it is designed for
> another distribution. And you expect me to learn and find out how to
> do that conversion!

Obviously. It's really that simple: either there is someone else who is
both able and willing to do the job or you have to decide, either you
learn how to do it or you won't have the package. People can learn
things. Those who can write specfiles were not born with the skill, they
had to learn it at some moment.

> Even on a complex build, checkinstall created automatically that spec
> file, no thinking at all needed.

Just an idea... If you are willing to do "make install" rather than
learn about specfiles, did you consider installing just checkinstall
itself this way and then use it on other software? Including itself, if
possible - if it's as powerful and flawless as you say, it should be
able to package itself.

> Instead of making checkinstall available on the distro, you all are
> telling me to use tools that I find too difficult to use, to use
> procedures that I find way too difficult to follow, and forget
> checkinstall. Exactly what I said you do.

Wanting something doesn't make it happen, world doesn't work like that.
Some packages in openSUSE come from SLE (or are maintained to be forked
for SLE one day) but checkinstall is not one of them (no surprise). Thus
it's only going to be available if there is someone who is willing to
package it and maintain it. Or just the latter if the package already
exists - which is most likely the case here, you can copy it from last
openSUSE version where it was. If there isn't such person, package
doesn't get into openSUSE. Good old Mr. Someone Else is not obliged to
do it for you.

> Well, no, I'm incapable of learning that skill.

Are you sure? Did you seriously try? I mean really try, not just open a
specfile and say "no, it's too complicated"? Like investing few hours
into googling for some tutorials on the topic and reading them?

It's really hard for me to believe there is someone who can write shell
scripts but is _unable_ to learn how to write a specfile. I have
experience with both and trust me, scripting in shell is way harder than
writing specfiles (except for the part where you often need to write
some shell scriptlet in the specfile).

Unwilling, that's a different story. Understand, I find perfectly
acceptable if someone decides he's not willing to spend the few hours
needed to learn how to write specfiles; I have a lot of topics myself
that I could learn if I decided to but I didn't for whatever reason.
What I find wrong is if someone insists that someone else has to do what
he doesn't want to (for whatever reason).

> Call me stupid if you wish.

To be honest, "stupid" wasn't actually the first word that came to my
mind when I read your e-mail(s). It was "lazy" ("demanding" was second).
It may sound harsh but that's what my immediate reaction was.

Michal Kubeček

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Ludwig Nussel
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-03-08 09:21, Chan Ju Ping wrote:
>> I was trying to install checkinstall but the installation kept
>> failing. It appears the official rpms have been removed.
>>
>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall?search_term=checkinstall
>>
>>  Is there any reason why checkinstall is no longer available? I
>> figured now would be a good time to put in place better software
>> building and installing practices, and this would be a good place
>> to start.
>
> Well, apparently the maintainers use OBS and tell everybody to use
> OBS, and thus neglect checkinstall to force others to also use OBS.

Carlos, the "problem" with checkinstall is that it is a beginner's
tool. IMO it's natural that people to outgrow it and then lose
interest. checkinstall wasn't dropped in order to force anyone into
OBS. The delete message rather indicates that it was unmaintained
both on opensuse as well as upstream side. It probably didn't build
anymore.

It is a beginner's tool because it only tracks the actual
installation. It doesn't help to make the compilation reproducible.
As soon as one has to update a package regularly, that's exactly
what's needed though. One year later nobody remembers what configure
switches were used originally. So that's where spec files and
rpmbuild help with. Easy to produce updated packages that way.

Finally, as soon as one has to maintain several packages, that
probably even depend on each other or need to be built for different
distros, OBS comes into play. Clean package builds, fully automated!

Real pros go the extra mile after that and submit their packages
for inclusion into the distribution of course :-)

At this level checkinstall is of limited use then. Nevertheless it
has it's right to exist for beginners and sometimes also if one
doesn't care about "doing it the right way" IMO. Better than plain
"make install" that circumvents package management completely for
sure.

So Carlos and Chan, if checkinstall is important to you, you are
predestined to take care of it and make sure it works in openSUSE.
There are still some instances of it made by other users in OBS. So
the spec file for it is already written :-) Maybe you can team up
with them to get checkinstall into Factory again and from there to
the stable releases.

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Chan Ju Ping <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday, 9 March 2017 03:35:57 MYT Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> At least take 10 minutes and see what it's like:
>>
>> 1) Use you bugzilla credential to log into https://build.opensuse.org/
>>     (that does some one time setup stuff the first time).
>>
>> 2) Install osc   (zypper in osc)
>>
>> 3) Create a new working directory tree area to work in.  I use ~/obs
>>
>> mkdir ~/obs; cd ~obs
>>
>> 4) Check-out a package from OBS.  This will get dc3dd from Leap 42.1
>>
>> osc co openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update dc3dd
>>
>> 5) Hop into the directory that now has the files needed to do a local
> build.
>>
>> cd i~/obs/openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update/dc3dd
>>
>> 6) Confirm you can do a local build  (--local is needed for this
>> because the tarball is no longer on line where it was)
>>
>> osc build --local
>>
>> That causes a chroot jail to be built with a new set of RPMs
>> downloaded from OBS.  Inside the jail the build pre-reqs are installed
>> and the build performed.
>>

>> The last few lines of the above tell you where to find the RPMs.  You
>> can install the RPMs or copy them to some local repo if you like.
>>
>> 7) Scream and shout that you have built your first set of RPMs via the
>> OBS/osc mechanism
>>
>> 8) Break the spec file by deleting the lines immediately following
>> %files near the end of the spec file
>>
>> vi *.spec   (and comment out these 4 lines from the %files section
>>
>> # %doc ChangeLog COPYING NEWS THANKS
>> # %doc *.txt
>> # %{_bindir}/dc3dd
>> # %{_mandir}/man1/dc3dd.1%{ext_man}
>>
>> 9) Try to build again, but note that you get errors at the end of the
>
> Thanks for the clearly written tutorial. I will learn to do it this way
> instead.

Chan,

We have a mailing list dedicated to helping people do it this way.

opensuse-packaging

Every package in openSUSE uses this OBS/osc combination to be built
for the release.

I believe openSUSE has several key enabling technologies, but OBS/osc
is one of the most important.  If you want to understand how openSUSE
is built, you have to understand OBS/osc.

I personally use the osc mechanism for most of my builds, and the OBS
WebUI for most of my package maintenance that doesn't include
modifying the files in a package.

ie. most *.spec, *.changes, *.patch changes are done on my PC first.
Choosing repos to build for, sending SRs, branching packages, I
typically do via the WebUI.  Thus when working on a package I tend to
have both a konsole window open and a browser window open to OBS for
the WebUI.

Anyway, come over to -packaging and ask your questions.  Learning to
use OBS/osc is not a topic for -factory.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

Re: checkinstall rpm not in repository

Peter Suetterlin
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> So now I have to use "make install" directly on my systems without
> creating the rpm. :-(

Then install in /usr/local and use stow for easy de-install...