changing a sysconfig file on an update

Jordi Massaguer Pla-2
Hi,

we have this problem on the docker package that could be fixed by adding
a configuration option in /etc/sysconfig/docker ... However, I believe
it is not good practice to update configuration files .... is it? Can I
just update the /adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.docker and expect that
the %fillup_only macro will take care of that?

thanks

Re: changing a sysconfig file on an update

Bernhard M. Wiedemann-5
On 2017-01-26 12:21, Jordi Massaguer Pla wrote:
> we have this problem on the docker package that could be fixed by adding
> a configuration option in /etc/sysconfig/docker ... However, I believe
> it is not good practice to update configuration files .... is it? Can I
> just update the /adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.docker and expect that
> the %fillup_only macro will take care of that?

I think the normal behaviour of fillup is to add missing sections with
their default values
but leave the existing entries in /etc/sysconfig/foo as they are.

However, if a new package breaks with certain old sysconfig values and
you are reasonably sure that nobody would want to keep those,
it is probably possible and useful to update them in a %post section.

man fillup
shows something about a --exchange option that might be useful there

but then you would need to make sure that other user changes to that
option would not be lost then or later.

Re: changing a sysconfig file on an update

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Friday 2017-01-27 15:27, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:

>On 2017-01-26 12:21, Jordi Massaguer Pla wrote:
>> we have this problem on the docker package that could be fixed by adding
>> a configuration option in /etc/sysconfig/docker ... However, I believe
>> it is not good practice to update configuration files .... is it?
>
>if a new package breaks with certain old sysconfig values and
>you are reasonably sure that nobody would want to keep those,

Then you should probably introduce a new variable, because you do not know
what programs still rely on the old one.