can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Rejaine Monteiro

Hi list

I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2 with
common user .. only with root user.

  With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
"you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.

The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
versions it worked perfectly well)

Any tips?

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

James Knott
On 06/16/2017 02:21 PM, Rejaine Monteiro wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
> with common user .. only with root user.
>
>  With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>
> The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
> can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
> versions it worked perfectly well)
>
> Any tips?

Create a folder with permissions that allow you to open it.  Generally,
creating it with you as the owner does the trick.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

jdd@dodin.org
Le 16/06/2017 à 20:21, Rejaine Monteiro a écrit :

> Hi list
>
> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2 with
> common user .. only with root user.
>
>   With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>
> The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
> can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
> versions it worked perfectly well)
>
> Any tips?

I do this all the time, some local config?

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Dave Howorth-3
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:21:06 -0300
Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
> with common user .. only with root user.
>
>   With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>
> The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
> can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
> versions it worked perfectly well)
>
> Any tips?

Change desktop. I don't have any problem using LXDE.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Rejaine Monteiro

It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other way.?

Em 16-06-2017 17:22, Dave Howorth escreveu:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:21:06 -0300
> Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
>> with common user .. only with root user.
>>
>>    With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
>> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
>> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>>
>> The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
>> can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
>> versions it worked perfectly well)
>>
>> Any tips?
> Change desktop. I don't have any problem using LXDE.

--
Rejaine da Silveira Monteiro
Suporte-TI

Le 16/06/2017 à 22:25, Rejaine Monteiro a écrit :

> It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
> with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other way.?

try with a new user, to see if it's only your account

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Rejaine Monteiro

I already did this .. any user has the same problem. Only works with
root user.

Em 16-06-2017 17:34, [hidden email] escreveu:
> try with a new user, to see if it's only your account
>
> jdd

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-06-16 22:36, Rejaine Monteiro wrote:

> I already did this .. any user has the same problem. Only works with
> root user.

Then it must be some policy you set.

For instance, did you set easy or secure configuration with YaST? In the
later case you get this.

You mention hundred of users, so this is not a single computer. You
could try one machine with one user on another desktop to find out if it
is some KDE related issue.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Rejaine Monteiro
This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !! I tested
multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse 13.1 or
13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user. But the
problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded to
opensuse 42.2.

PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local

I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works fine
(the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only with
ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission for the
user to mount the device)

The problem is that I can not find any configuration files or anything
like that to release mount to any user.

On 2017-06-16 20:27, James Knott wrote:

> On 06/16/2017 02:21 PM, Rejaine Monteiro wrote:
>>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
>> with common user .. only with root user.
>>
>>  With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
>> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
>> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>>
>> The use of external storage devices nowadays is something so basic, I
>> can not understand why in this version this was blocked (in previous
>> versions it worked perfectly well)
>>
>> Any tips?
>>

> Create a folder with permissions that allow you to open it.  Generally,
> creating it with you as the owner does the trick.
No, that's for writing on the device once mounted, and not for FAT usb
sticks. His problem is earlier, mounting them.

On 2017-06-16 23:22, Rejaine Monteiro wrote:

> This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
> just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !! I tested
> multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse 13.1 or
> 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user. But the
> problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded to
> opensuse 42.2.
>
> PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local
>
> I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works fine
> (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only with
> ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission for the
> user to mount the device)
The thing is, people are not having that problem, or they would have
said so already. Certainly I don't have it, but I don't use KDE - thus
the suggestion to just try another desktop to find out if it is a KDE
issue or not. I'm not suggesting you switch to another desktop permanently.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Dave Howorth-3
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:25:45 -0300
Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
> with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other
> way.?

and

> This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
> just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !!

I'm sorry; I didn't intend to annoy you. But you didn't provide much
information; it's being dragged out, one drop at a time.

> I tested multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse
> 13.1 or 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user.
> But the problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded
> to opensuse 42.2.
>
> PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local
>
> I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works
> fine (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only
> with ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission
> for the user to mount the device)

We don't know whether it is a security bug, or a KDE bug. We can't rule
either in, or out. So people are suggesting trying a different desktop
since we know that works for us. Nobody who uses KDE has so far
commented as far as I know, which surprises me because there are (or
used to be) a lot of KDE users here.

As well as trying a different desktop, it would also be a good idea to
try running the mount manually on the command line and reporting
exactly what error is reported. Do you need help doing that?

On my system, a USB filesystem is mounted automatically and then a
dialog pops up to ask me whether I want to open the file manager, so
the workflow I experience is completely different to what you report.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [06-16-17 18:34]:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:25:45 -0300
> Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
> > with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other
> > way.?
>
> and
>
> > This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
> > just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !!
>
> I'm sorry; I didn't intend to annoy you. But you didn't provide much
> information; it's being dragged out, one drop at a time.
>
> > I tested multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse
> > 13.1 or 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user.
> > But the problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded
> > to opensuse 42.2.
> >
> > PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local
> >
> > I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works
> > fine (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only
> > with ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission
> > for the user to mount the device)
>
> We don't know whether it is a security bug, or a KDE bug. We can't rule
> either in, or out. So people are suggesting trying a different desktop
> since we know that works for us. Nobody who uses KDE has so far
> commented as far as I know, which surprises me because there are (or
> used to be) a lot of KDE users here.

I cannot speak for Leap 42.x, but I have 5 boxes with Tw and kde/plasma5
with no problem accessing usb drives with automagic mounting.

> As well as trying a different desktop, it would also be a good idea to
> try running the mount manually on the command line and reporting
> exactly what error is reported. Do you need help doing that?
>
> On my system, a USB filesystem is mounted automatically and then a
> dialog pops up to ask me whether I want to open the file manager, so
> the workflow I experience is completely different to what you report.

same here.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Basil Chupin-2
On 17/06/17 08:41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [06-16-17 18:34]:
>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:25:45 -0300
>> Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
>>> with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other
>>> way.?
>> and
>>
>>> This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
>>> just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !!
>> I'm sorry; I didn't intend to annoy you. But you didn't provide much
>> information; it's being dragged out, one drop at a time.
>>
>>> I tested multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse
>>> 13.1 or 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user.
>>> But the problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded
>>> to opensuse 42.2.
>>>
>>> PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local
>>>
>>> I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works
>>> fine (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only
>>> with ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission
>>> for the user to mount the device)
>> We don't know whether it is a security bug, or a KDE bug. We can't rule
>> either in, or out. So people are suggesting trying a different desktop
>> since we know that works for us. Nobody who uses KDE has so far
>> commented as far as I know, which surprises me because there are (or
>> used to be) a lot of KDE users here.
> I cannot speak for Leap 42.x, but I have 5 boxes with Tw and kde/plasma5
> with no problem accessing usb drives with automagic mounting.
>
>> As well as trying a different desktop, it would also be a good idea to
>> try running the mount manually on the command line and reporting
>> exactly what error is reported. Do you need help doing that?
>>
>> On my system, a USB filesystem is mounted automatically and then a
>> dialog pops up to ask me whether I want to open the file manager, so
>> the workflow I experience is completely different to what you report.
> same here.

Hi Patrick,

Private, off the list msg.

What you said is all and well, but is it because you had set the
"permission" in System Settings>Removable Devices to mount devices
"automagically"?

I have sent a private msg to the OP asking him just this question. Yet
to hear back from him.

Basil

--
Government has become a committee for managing the affairs of the rich.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

listreader
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:21:06 -0300
Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
> with common user .. only with root user.
>
>   With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
> example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
> "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.

> Any tips?

Well, just a dumb thought, but what does it say in your log / systemd
when you as user plug in the usb device that then fails to mount?  And,
what does it say differently (in the log) when you successfully plug /
mount as root?

Ralph

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> [06-16-17 19:04]:

 [...]

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Private, off the list msg.
>
> What you said is all and well, but is it because you had set the
> "permission" in System Settings>Removable Devices to mount devices
> "automagically"?
>
> I have sent a private msg to the OP asking him just this question. Yet
> to hear back from him.
>

> Basil

if you are going to send off list, you really need to change the address.

all is well, I am typing on a brand new Tw install which automagically
mounts usb sticks when inserted.  I have not adjusted any permissions in
that area on this new machine.

ps: replied on list as the msg was on list.

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Patrick Shanahan-2
* listreader <[hidden email]> [06-16-17 19:14]:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:21:06 -0300
> Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/removabledisk  on leap 42.2
> > with common user .. only with root user.
> >
> >   With a normal user using KDE desktop, it detects the pendrive, for
> > example, but when trying to open in the file manager gives the error
> > "you are not allowed to mount this device"or something like that.
>
> > Any tips?
>
> Well, just a dumb thought, but what does it say in your log / systemd
> when you as user plug in the usb device that then fails to mount?  And,
> what does it say differently (in the log) when you successfully plug /
> mount as root?

plug in as <user> and look here:
  dmesg -T |tail -n 20

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

Peter Suetterlin
Rejaine Monteiro wrote:

> I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works fine
> (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only with
> ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission for the user
> to mount the device)
>
> The problem is that I can not find any configuration files or anything like
> that to release mount to any user.

 - is it THE usb stick or ANY usb stick?
 - what filesystem is on there?

Re: can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2

George from the tribe
On 06/16/2017 05:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:25:45 -0300
> Rejaine Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
>> with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other
>> way.?
>
> and
>
>> This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
>> just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !!
>
> I'm sorry; I didn't intend to annoy you. But you didn't provide much
> information; it's being dragged out, one drop at a time.
>
>> I tested multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse
>> 13.1 or 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user.
>> But the problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded
>> to opensuse 42.2.
>>
>> PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local
>>
>> I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works
>> fine (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only
>> with ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission
>> for the user to mount the device)
>
> We don't know whether it is a security bug, or a KDE bug. We can't rule
> either in, or out. So people are suggesting trying a different desktop
> since we know that works for us. Nobody who uses KDE has so far
> commented as far as I know, which surprises me because there are (or
> used to be) a lot of KDE users here.

I am a KDE user, though I do tend to complain about it. I would describe
my relationship with KDE as a "troubled marriage". We are getting
counseling (many on this list are my counselors in this relationship),
and KDE is gracious enough to not get annoyed when I sometimes flirt
with other partners, such as Gnome and LXDE.

Be that as it may, when I plug in a usb stick, it does not mount
automatically, but a dialog pops up offering me a chance to open the
stick in dolphin. If I click on that option, then the stick is
automatically mounted in /run/media/george/. It does not require root
permissions to mount it there.

However, if I choose to mount the stick in /mnt/ on the command line, I
have to be root to mount it. Why is that? I don't know. Somewhere KDE
has set permissions that allow the desktop to mount your stick in
/run/media/<username> without being the root user, but if you mount it
in /mnt/, then you have to be the root user.

On your system, Rejaine, apparently there is something messed up with
the permissions, that should be set in such a way that your desktop is
allowed to mount a usb stick without being root. I think this is a
different kind of setting than file ownership, because my directory
/run/media/george has an ownership of root:root, as so:

george@tribeDellbig:/run/media> ls -l
total 0
drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 40 Jun 17 07:56 george

If file ownership were the issue, the desktop would not mount my usb
sticks in this directory without me being root.

Now I notice that there is a plus sign '+' after the permissions string
in that directory listing. Maybe that has something to do with it? My
/mnt/ directory does not have any such plus sign.

In any case, it seems that what you need to know is where your system
configuration has a setting that gives permission for the desktop to
mount a usb stick in /run/media/<username>/ without being root. If we
know that, then the setting can be changed and your system, with your
users, can probably be fixed.

I have no idea where that setting might be - perhaps someone here might
know?

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB

On 06/17/2017 08:15 AM, George from the tribe wrote:

> [...]
> /run/media/george has an ownership of root:root, as so:
>
> george@tribeDellbig:/run/media> ls -l
> total 0
> drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 40 Jun 17 07:56 george
>
> If file ownership were the issue, the desktop would not mount my usb
> sticks in this directory without me being root.
>
> Now I notice that there is a plus sign '+' after the permissions string
> in that directory listing. Maybe that has something to do with it? My
> /mnt/ directory does not have any such plus sign.
>
> In any case, it seems that what you need to know is where your system
> configuration has a setting that gives permission for the desktop to
> mount a usb stick in /run/media/<username>/ without being root. If we
> know that, then the setting can be changed and your system, with your
> users, can probably be fixed.
>
> I have no idea where that setting might be - perhaps someone here might

And upon further investigation, I believe the plus sign is the likely
culprit. Apparently that is an Access Control List designation, or ACL,
and it sets permissions for anything beyond that directory; i.e. media
that is mounted in that directory. So I would be interested to know what
your permission string looks like for your /run/media/<username> directory.

Maybe you can run the command
 > ls -l /run/media/

in the directories of a few of the users on your system, and post the
results here, so we can see if the ACL is set properly for that?