boot sheme and GRUB install

jdd@dodin.org
I was recently directed to the not so old page
http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub

What should be may be set more visible is some changes versus the
usual (Lilo?) Linux way of configuring the boot system.

We where all told than Linux don't care about the way the BIOS or
Windows boot, specially ignore the "boot" flag of the partitions, when
Windows dont.

I think it should be usefull to write (and advertise) a page "booting
Linux" or "booting openSUSE" with the relevant part of the quoted page
(and other) - I can do if it's not already done.

As a brief summary:

* the MBR should be generic and YaST can write one (how??)
* GRUB should not be written in the MBR (this should be visible from
the YaST page!)
* GRUB (stage1) should be written in a primary partition. There is
always at least one on a disk, even if this one is the extended one.
* YaST makes a very good job as boot loader install

what must be said is that the latter is not completely true. I don't
know if it's a bug or a feature :-(, nor if this is still the case on
openSUSE 11, but when you are on the YaST page where you setup the
place where GRUB is installed, one can clic several options
altogether, but not all are written or the work is not clear :-()

specially, I spend some time now working on installs to an USB key.

I work to an other drive (not the first HDD) and don't want the first
HDD to take track of this install

the quoted page don't say really how GRUB manage this. This is
probably a BIOS problem, but I don't want to discuss this here and
now, it's OT on this thread

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net

Re: boot sheme and GRUB install

Ed McCanless
jdd wrote:

> I was recently directed to the not so old page
> http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub
>
> What should be may be set more visible is some changes versus the
> usual (Lilo?) Linux way of configuring the boot system.
>
> We where all told than Linux don't care about the way the BIOS or
> Windows boot, specially ignore the "boot" flag of the partitions, when
> Windows dont.
>
> I think it should be usefull to write (and advertise) a page "booting
> Linux" or "booting openSUSE" with the relevant part of the quoted page
> (and other) - I can do if it's not already done.
>
> As a brief summary:
>
> * the MBR should be generic and YaST can write one (how??)
> * GRUB should not be written in the MBR (this should be visible from
> the YaST page!)
> * GRUB (stage1) should be written in a primary partition. There is
> always at least one on a disk, even if this one is the extended one.
> * YaST makes a very good job as boot loader install
>
> what must be said is that the latter is not completely true. I don't
> know if it's a bug or a feature :-(, nor if this is still the case on
> openSUSE 11, but when you are on the YaST page where you setup the
> place where GRUB is installed, one can clic several options
> altogether, but not all are written or the work is not clear :-()
>
> specially, I spend some time now working on installs to an USB key.
>
> I work to an other drive (not the first HDD) and don't want the first
> HDD to take track of this install
>
> the quoted page don't say really how GRUB manage this. This is
> probably a BIOS problem, but I don't want to discuss this here and
> now, it's OT on this thread
>
> jdd

    I would very much like to see this type of info, the more detailed
the explanation, the better. If you can write such a page, you
definitely have my vote.

                            -ED-

Ed McCanless a écrit :

>     I would very much like to see this type of info, the more detailed
> the explanation, the better. If you can write such a page, you
> definitely have my vote.

I couldn't upload the two last images, refused by the wiki as
"incorrect file type". I will try again tomorrow morning.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Prefered_bootloader_options

feel free to edit, I'm french and often make typos

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net