bioset ?

Per Jessen
I am just installing a new xen guest with leap423 - I notice there are
68 'bioset' threads running?  What are those all for?   (just being
curious).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.2°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Re: bioset ?

David Haller-4
Hello,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
>I am just installing a new xen guest with leap423 - I notice there are
>68 'bioset' threads running?  What are those all for?   (just being
>curious).

less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/biodoc.txt

HTH,
-dnh

--
Give a man fire, and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire, and he
will be warm for the rest of his life.                 -- Terry Pratchett

Re: bioset ?

Per Jessen
David Haller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
>>I am just installing a new xen guest with leap423 - I notice there are
>>68 'bioset' threads running?  What are those all for?   (just being
>>curious).
>
> less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/biodoc.txt
>
> HTH,
> -dnh

Thanks David - not sure that was particularly enlightening, but that's
okay :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.1°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: bioset ?

David Haller-4
Hello,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, Per Jessen wrote:

>David Haller wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>I am just installing a new xen guest with leap423 - I notice there are
>>>68 'bioset' threads running?  What are those all for?   (just being
>>>curious).
>>
>> less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/biodoc.txt
>
>Thanks David - not sure that was particularly enlightening, but that's
>okay :-)

Yeah ... But you got the idea. Block Input/Output (in SETs)... Done in
the kernel...

Unless those processes were lacking the [] around them. I.e. it should
be "[bioset]" in 'ps ax' output, there's nothing bad happening. Just
like:

BTW:
$ ps ax | grep -c kjournald
13
$ ps ax | grep -c scsi_eh
22

(all with [] around, marking them as kernel threads)

;)

-dnh

--
Wenn ich fleissig waere, waere ich kein Admin.
                                                     -- Klaus Muth

Re: bioset ?

Per Jessen
David Haller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
>>David Haller wrote:
>>>
>>> less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/biodoc.txt
>>
>>Thanks David - not sure that was particularly enlightening, but that's
>>okay :-)
>
> Yeah ... But you got the idea. Block Input/Output (in SETs)... Done in
> the kernel...
>
> Unless those processes were lacking the [] around them. I.e. it should
> be "[bioset]" in 'ps ax' output, there's nothing bad happening.

Yep, they are [bioset].  It wasn't so much the presence but the numbers
that got me curious - during the installation of a xen guest, I saw 68,
now that it is running, there is only 3, elsewhere I see 20 or 10 etc.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.9°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.