awful openoffice splash

lynn-32
Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get when
you click 10.3 openoffice?

love Lynn

Re: awful openoffice splash

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:

> Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get
> when you click 10.3 openoffice?

Edit /usr/(lib if 32-bit, lib64 if 64-bit)/ooo-2.0/program/sofficerc and
change Logo=1 to Logo=0.

Re: awful openoffice splash

Kevin Dupuy
On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:09 -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:
>
> > Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get
> > when you click 10.3 openoffice?
>
> Edit /usr/(lib if 32-bit, lib64 if 64-bit)/ooo-2.0/program/sofficerc and
> change Logo=1 to Logo=0.

I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
ugly gray around it!
--
Kevin Dupuy <[hidden email]>
Yo.media

Re: awful openoffice splash

Bryen M Yunashko

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 17:24 -0500, Kevin Dupuy wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:09 -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get
> > > when you click 10.3 openoffice?
> >
> > Edit /usr/(lib if 32-bit, lib64 if 64-bit)/ooo-2.0/program/sofficerc and
> > change Logo=1 to Logo=0.
> >

> I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> ugly gray around it!
> --

Personally, I'm not bothered by it.  I guess I lack taste.  :-)

The above explains how to disable the logo.  Below explains how to
change the logo:

1. Rename /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/openintro_suse.bmp to something else.
2. Copy a new .bmp image into the same directory, and be sure to name
that file 'openintro_suse.bmp.'

Now you've got the image YOU think is right.

--
---Bryen---

Re: awful openoffice splash

lynn-32
On Wednesday 17 October 2007 20:09:20 Scott Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:
> > Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get
> > when you click 10.3 openoffice?
>
> Edit /usr/(lib if 32-bit, lib64 if 64-bit)/ooo-2.0/program/sofficerc and
> change Logo=1 to Logo=0.

Brilliant. Thank you.

Re: awful openoffice splash

lynn-32
On Thursday 18 October 2007 00:24:48 Kevin Dupuy wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:09 -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:
> > > Is there any simple way of removing that awful green thing that you get
> > > when you click 10.3 openoffice?
> >
> > Edit /usr/(lib if 32-bit, lib64 if 64-bit)/ooo-2.0/program/sofficerc and
> > change Logo=1 to Logo=0.
>
> I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> ugly gray around it!

I'm glad you agree. It really is bad art and design. It's bad enough trying to
get typists to use openoffice instead of office in the first place. This just
makes it even worse. This is a serious issue which has led me to lose many
battles.

Re: awful openoffice splash

Andreas Jaeger
Kevin Dupuy <[hidden email]> writes:

> I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> ugly gray around it!

There's an opensuse-artwork mailing list and constructive feedback is
welcome there,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, [hidden email]
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: awful openoffice splash

Thierry de Coulon
On Thursday, 18. October 2007, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Kevin Dupuy <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> > ugly gray around it!
>
> There's an opensuse-artwork mailing list and constructive feedback is
> welcome there,
>
> Andreas

Is the splash screen really that important?
To me not

Thierry

Re: awful openoffice splash

Kevin Dupuy
On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:31 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Kevin Dupuy <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> > ugly gray around it!
>
> There's an opensuse-artwork mailing list and constructive feedback is
> welcome there,
>
> Andreas

Thanks Andreas

PS: Didn't mean to offend anyone by that comment, BTW...

Re: awful openoffice splash

LLLActive@GMX.Net

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 18:06 -0500, Bryen wrote:

> > I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> > ugly gray around it!
> > --
>
> Personally, I'm not bothered by it.  I guess I lack taste.  :-)
>
> The above explains how to disable the logo.  Below explains how to
> change the logo:
>
> 1. Rename /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/openintro_suse.bmp to something else.
> 2. Copy a new .bmp image into the same directory, and be sure to name
> that file 'openintro_suse.bmp.'
>
> Now you've got the image YOU think is right.
>
> --
> ---Bryen---

I slightly adapted an official logo from the OOo Art site
(http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/marketing/logos). I'll
try an attachment: openintro_suse-3.bmp - dono how to get through all
the procedures to get it on the official website yet - otherwise I can
mail it to those interested - change the name to openintro_suse.bmp as
above. The progress bar now underlines the
"Open. For Business" line underneath.

:-)
Al

openintro_suse-3.bmp (363K) Download Attachment

Re: awful openoffice splash

Josef Assad-2

Re: awful openoffice splash

lynn-32
On Saturday 20 October 2007 16:54:19 Josef Assad wrote:

> Kevin Dupuy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:09 -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> >> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, primm wrote:
> >
> > I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> > ugly gray around it!
>
> gimp's splash is visually consistent with the OO.o splash. I think it's
> positive to note that - even if you don't like the logo - the strive for
> visual consistency is A Good Thing(tm).

I totally disagree. Make a splash that appeals to women. The gimp need to show
what it's at, not what it's for. Men love consistency I know. Women thrive on
variety. They make your life more interesting.

When was the last time _you_ invited anyone to dinner and asked them if they
preferred red or white?

Love from Primm x x x

Re: awful openoffice splash

Ken Schneider - openSUSE

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 17:12 +0200, primm wrote:

> On Saturday 20 October 2007 16:54:19 Josef Assad wrote:
> > Kevin Dupuy wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to know who at SUSE/Novell let that splash screen leave with that
> > > ugly gray around it!
> >
> > gimp's splash is visually consistent with the OO.o splash. I think it's
> > positive to note that - even if you don't like the logo - the strive for
> > visual consistency is A Good Thing(tm).
> >

> I totally disagree. Make a splash that appeals to women. The gimp need to show
> what it's at, not what it's for. Men love consistency I know. Women thrive on
> variety. They make your life more interesting.
>
> When was the last time _you_ invited anyone to dinner and asked them if they
> preferred red or white?

Actually you need to have a splash screen that looks very professional
so the CEO at Bigcorp, Corp. will get the impression that the product is
very professional. I'm not saying that OO is not professional it is the
CEO that needs to be impressed so they will use it in their company.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998

Re: awful openoffice splash

Bryen M Yunashko

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 11:48 -0400, Kenneth Schneider wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 17:12 +0200, primm wrote:

> > > gimp's splash is visually consistent with the OO.o splash. I think it's
> > > positive to note that - even if you don't like the logo - the strive for
> > > visual consistency is A Good Thing(tm).
> > >

> > I totally disagree. Make a splash that appeals to women. The gimp need to show
> > what it's at, not what it's for. Men love consistency I know. Women thrive on
> > variety. They make your life more interesting.
> >
> > When was the last time _you_ invited anyone to dinner and asked them if they
> > preferred red or white?
> >

> Actually you need to have a splash screen that looks very professional
> so the CEO at Bigcorp, Corp. will get the impression that the product is
> very professional. I'm not saying that OO is not professional it is the
> CEO that needs to be impressed so they will use it in their company.

If the CEO is a woman, then Lynn's argument stands.  If the CEO is a
man, then the splash needs to appeal to the CEO's wife.  In which case,
Lynn's argument still stands.  :-)

--
---Bryen---