article about Midnight Commander

Rajko M.
In some other thread (reiserfs something)
it was touched OT the file manager issue.

While Konqueror in file manager mode is good for GUI, there is more different
solutions.

One of them is a file manager that was designed for text mode, but it can be
used in GUI too. It is good old Midnight Commander.

http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander

Once user overcomes initial learning how to handle basic operations, and that
is really minimal effort, it will stay addicted to *mc* forever. The article
is not meant as copy of F1 (help) key, but just as a simple introduction with
more on subpages. One subpage is already there
http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips

Please review article and give comments what can be added/changed to make it
even more usable.

Rajko M.

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Lev Lafayette-2

Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.

Nice to see it discussed here...

All the best,

Lev

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Joe Morris
Lev Lafayette wrote:
> Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.

It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
chroot. ;-)

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Mark Goldstein
On 12/5/06, Lev Lafayette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.

Well, Norton Commander is closer to MC than Xtree.

One very powerful feature of MC is "macro" parameters. I'm using it quite often.
E.g. I have different releases in 2 directories and I want to check
differences between files one by one. I'm opening these directories in
2 panels and use command

diff %f %D/%f  (compare file under cursor in the current panel with
file with the same name in the other panel).

I just need to set the cursor on the file, select the command from
history, Enter, move cursor to the next file and so on...

Mark Goldstein

Re: article about Midnight Commander

zoran korac
If I remember correctly, Norton commander has bulid in FTP option, but I do
not see it on mc or it is just something that I overseen.

thanks,
zoran

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:01, Joe Morris (NTM) Schreef:

> Lev Lafayette wrote:
> > Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> > from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
>
> It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
> Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
> editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
> on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
> chroot. ;-)
>
> --
> Joe Morris
> Registered Linux user 231871

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Dominique Leuenberger-2

>>> Reply on 05-12-2006 14:36:59 <<<

> If I remember correctly, Norton commander has bulid in FTP option,
but I
> do
> not see it on mc or it is just something that I overseen.
>
> thanks,
> zoran

Zoran,

indeed, something you oversee. You can connect to FTP using the menu or
by simply typing cd #ftp:ftp.example.com/pub
as described on
http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips#FTP_browsing

Regards,
Dominique

Re: article about Midnight Commander

zoran korac

THANKS

Zoran

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:38, Dominique Leuenberger Schreef:

> > If I remember correctly, Norton commander has bulid in FTP option,
>
> but I
>
> > do
> > not see it on mc or it is just something that I overseen.
> >
> > thanks,
> > zoran
>
> Zoran,
>
> indeed, something you oversee. You can connect to FTP using the menu or
> by simply typing cd #ftp:ftp.example.com/pub
> as described on
> http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips#FTP_browsing
>
> Regards,
> Dominique

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Russell Jones-7
If you liked Xtree, you could try Ytree
http://www.han.de/~werner/ytree.html (or if you're on win32, the
shareware Ztree http://www.ztree.com/ ).

Russell Jones

Lev Lafayette wrote:

> Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
>
> Nice to see it discussed here...
>
> All the best,
>

> Lev

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Roger Oberholtzer
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 20:01 +0800, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Lev Lafayette wrote:
> > Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> > from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
> >
> It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
> Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
> editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
> on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
> chroot. ;-)

Too bad I cannot run Unix SYS V apps on Linux. I have the Norton
Utilities for Unix (ran on Interactive and AT&T SVR4.2 on intel
processors / standard 386 PCs) It even had an unerase feature for the
SYS V file system. I was probably the only person who bought it. We used
the Norton Integrator to make a character-based menu system for our
apps. Users loved it.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Daniel Feiglin

Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

> Lev Lafayette wrote:
>
>> Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
>> from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
>>

> It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
> Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
> editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
> on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
> chroot. ;-)

I also use it a lot, including ftp. How do you do the ssh thing?

Re: article about Midnight Commander

PerfectReign
On Monday 04 December 2006 19:03, Rajko M wrote:

> In some other thread (reiserfs something)
> it was touched OT the file manager issue.
>
> While Konqueror in file manager mode is good for GUI, there is more
> different solutions.
>
> One of them is a file manager that was designed for text mode, but it can
> be used in GUI too. It is good old Midnight Commander.
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander

Very nice introduction!

I use mc all the time when downgraded to the command line, because I simply
don't use it enough to remember all the commands. This tool really helps out
with file copies, permissions, viewing files, and editing.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Re: article about Midnight Commander

James Oakley-2
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 9:24 am, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> Too bad I cannot run Unix SYS V apps on Linux. I have the Norton
> Utilities for Unix (ran on Interactive and AT&T SVR4.2 on intel
> processors / standard 386 PCs) It even had an unerase feature for the
> SYS V file system.

mc has "undelfs" for ext2 filesystems.

--
James Oakley

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 12:49 pm, Daniel Feiglin wrote:
> Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
> > Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
> > editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
> > on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
> > chroot. ;-)
>
> I also use it a lot, including ftp. How do you do the ssh thing?

I think he meant using it on a remote system after logging in via ssh.

You can browse files over ssh, though:

cd /#sh:[user@]hostname

--
James Oakley

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 8:17 am, Mark Goldstein wrote:

> On 12/5/06, Lev Lafayette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> > from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
>
> Well, Norton Commander is closer to MC than Xtree.
>
> One very powerful feature of MC is "macro" parameters. I'm using it quite
> often. E.g. I have different releases in 2 directories and I want to check
> differences between files one by one. I'm opening these directories in 2
> panels and use command
>
> diff %f %D/%f  (compare file under cursor in the current panel with
> file with the same name in the other panel).

I do this in the edit menu, so I can simply hit F2, then d or D (I commented
the default d and D entries). I also colourised the output to make the changes
stand out, like when you open up a patch file in mcedit:

+ t r & ! t t
d       Diff against file of same name in other directory
        if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
          echo "The two directores must be different"
          exit 1
        fi
        if [ -f %D/%f ]; then        # if two of them, then
          diff -up %f %D/%f | sed -e 's/\(^-.*\)/\x1b[1;31m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
                                  -e 's/\(^\+.*\)/\x1b[1;32m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
                                  -e 's/\(^@.*\)/\x1b[36m\1\x1b[0m/g' | less -R
        else
          echo %f: No copy in %D/%f
        fi

D       Diff current directory against other directory
        if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
          echo "The two directores must be different"
          exit 1
        fi
        diff -up %d %D | sed -e 's/\(^-.*\)/\x1b[1;31m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
                             -e 's/\(^\+.*\)/\x1b[1;32m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
                             -e 's/\(^@.*\)/\x1b[36m\1\x1b[0m/g' | less -R
        fi

To edit your menu file, go to "Command" | "Edit Menu File" and select "Home".

--
James Oakley

On 12/5/06, James Oakley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 8:17 am, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> > On 12/5/06, Lev Lafayette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
> > > from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.
> >
> > Well, Norton Commander is closer to MC than Xtree.
> >
> > One very powerful feature of MC is "macro" parameters. I'm using it quite
> > often. E.g. I have different releases in 2 directories and I want to check
> > differences between files one by one. I'm opening these directories in 2
> > panels and use command
> >
> > diff %f %D/%f  (compare file under cursor in the current panel with
> > file with the same name in the other panel).
>
> I do this in the edit menu, so I can simply hit F2, then d or D (I commented
> the default d and D entries). I also colourised the output to make the changes
> stand out, like when you open up a patch file in mcedit:
>
> + t r & ! t t
> d       Diff against file of same name in other directory
>         if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
>           echo "The two directores must be different"
>           exit 1
>         fi
>         if [ -f %D/%f ]; then        # if two of them, then
>           diff -up %f %D/%f | sed -e 's/\(^-.*\)/\x1b[1;31m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
>                                   -e 's/\(^\+.*\)/\x1b[1;32m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
>                                   -e 's/\(^@.*\)/\x1b[36m\1\x1b[0m/g' | less -R
>         else
>           echo %f: No copy in %D/%f
>         fi
>
> D       Diff current directory against other directory
>         if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
>           echo "The two directores must be different"
>           exit 1
>         fi
>         diff -up %d %D | sed -e 's/\(^-.*\)/\x1b[1;31m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
>                              -e 's/\(^\+.*\)/\x1b[1;32m\1\x1b[0m/g' \
>                              -e 's/\(^@.*\)/\x1b[36m\1\x1b[0m/g' | less -R
>         fi
>
> To edit your menu file, go to "Command" | "Edit Menu File" and select "Home".
>
> --

That's profi level! Will try it. Thanks.
--
Mark Goldstein

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Jan Engelhardt

>Midnight Commander is a *great* interface. For those old MS-DOS heads
>from the eighties, it's like Xtree Pro/Gold, but *better*.

Actually, it's like Norton Command, but *logically* better since Linux
is not limited to 8.3 and no-permissions.

Great "news": You can have it inside Cygwin, free, modern replacement
for nc.

        -`J'

Re: article about Midnight Commander

Jan Engelhardt

>> It certainly IS a great app, but it isn't a clone of xtree but of Norton
>> Commander, which was great app in it's day.  MC is the only console text
>> editor I need.  Works great over ssh as well.  Wished it was installed
>> on the rescue system, but not a big deal as I have it when I mount and
>> chroot. ;-)
>>

> I also use it a lot, including ftp. How do you do the ssh thing?

Left/Right menu, "Shell link" RIGHT UNDER "FTP link" and RIGHT ABOVE
"SMB link". :p

        -`J'

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 06:47, zoran korac wrote:

> > > If I remember correctly, Norton commander has bulid in FTP option,
> >
> > but I
> >
> > > do
> > > not see it on mc or it is just something that I overseen.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > zoran
> >
> > Zoran,
> >
> > indeed, something you oversee. You can connect to FTP using the menu or
> > by simply typing cd #ftp:ftp.example.com/pub
> > as described on
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips#FTP_browsing
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dominique
> THANKS
>
> Zoran

To get more ideas what is possible with mc you can use F1 and browse it using
cursor keys. It is really recommended reading. The tips and probably more
screenshots will be added if time will allow me.

BTW, please post your answer underneat the quoted text. It is called bottom
posting and keeps track of posts timeline, making reading easy. You can see
how I moved your last answer from top to bottom keeping clear track of
conversation.

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:39, Kai Ponte wrote:

> Very nice introduction!

Thanks.
It is actually kind of a translation from
http://de.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander

> I use mc all the time when downgraded to the command line, because I simply
> don't use it enough to remember all the commands. This tool really helps
> out with file copies, permissions, viewing files, and editing.

I use it all the time as it has more nice features, like archive view where is
very simple to unpack all, or just a few files. The same is valid for RPMs.

Rajko M.