ardour5 with dark-colour-theme wont start

ardour5 with dark-colour-theme wont start

gregor willms
Hi,

i am joining this list because i want to take contact to Eric Schirra;
who, as i think is the one, who set ardour5 to the repository.
Because i would very much like to, but can not use ardour5, i would try
to get it properly working.
It works with the preferences-gui set to "colour: light-ardour". But
when i start the program, every time it takes other colours of buttons
an bars an so on. It is very confusing, when i try to work with it
constantly.
When i edit the file: ui-config and set colour to "dark-ardour", the
programm just won`t start properly. When i try this through the
terminal i get a messag like

"WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l',
and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (built using 5.12 and GCC version 4.8.5)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096
open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file
/etc/ardour5/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand:        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @
1.80GHz
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot load module
"/usr/lib64/ardour5/backends/libjack_audiobackend.so"
(/usr/lib64/ardour5/backends/libjack_audiobackend.so: undefined symbol:
jack_port_uuid)
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file
/etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
Color shuttle bg not found
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
ardour.colors"

I work with opensuse leap 42.3 and gnome desktop on a notebook tuxedo
inity 14 with intel core i5 and Kabylake GT2 graphics and kernel 4.13.

There are several posts in the net but no one, which is useful for me,
so i try this way. Perhaps i can get a solution or a workaround?

with best regards

gregor

Re: ardour5 with dark-colour-theme wont start

Eric Schirra-3
Am Mittwoch, 3. Januar 2018, 23:14:52 CET schrieb gregor willms:

> Hi,
>
> i am joining this list because i want to take contact to Eric Schirra;
> who, as i think is the one, who set ardour5 to the repository.
> Because i would very much like to, but can not use ardour5, i would try
> to get it properly working.
> It works with the preferences-gui set to "colour: light-ardour". But
> when i start the program, every time it takes other colours of buttons
> an bars an so on. It is very confusing, when i try to work with it
> constantly.
> When i edit the file: ui-config and set colour to "dark-ardour", the
> programm just won`t start properly. When i try this through the
> terminal i get a messag like
>
> "WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
>          This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
> system runs
>          out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l',
> and it
>          is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
> Ardour5.12.0 (built using 5.12 and GCC version 4.8.5)
> ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096
> open files
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/system_config
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
> ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand:        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @
> 1.80GHz
> ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
> ardour: [ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot load module
> "/usr/lib64/ardour5/backends/libjack_audiobackend.so"
> (/usr/lib64/ardour5/backends/libjack_audiobackend.so: undefined symbol:
> jack_port_uuid)
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
> Color shuttle bg not found
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> ardour.colors"
>
> I work with opensuse leap 42.3 and gnome desktop on a notebook tuxedo
> inity 14 with intel core i5 and Kabylake GT2 graphics and kernel 4.13.

You have two places for config.
One systemwide is under /etc.
The other is under ~/.config/ardour5

But i can not see any line in it with colour: light-ardour
The only thing is: <Option name="color-file" value="dark"/>

So. And this runs here without Problems.
You can edit in ardour under (in german): Bearbeiten->Globale Einstellungen-
>Erscheinungsbild->Farben.

I hope i can help you

Regards
 Eric

Am Donnerstag, den 04.01.2018, 11:45 +0100 schrieb Eric Schirra:

> [...]
> > symbol:
> > jack_port_uuid)
> > ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file
> > /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
> > Color shuttle bg not found
> > ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> > ardour.colors"
> >
> > I work with opensuse leap 42.3 and gnome desktop on a notebook
> > tuxedo
> > inity 14 with intel core i5 and Kabylake GT2 graphics and kernel
> > 4.13.
>
> You have two places for config.
> One systemwide is under /etc.
> The other is under ~/.config/ardour5
>
> But i can not see any line in it with colour: light-ardour
> The only thing is: <Option name="color-file" value="dark"/>
>
> So. And this runs here without Problems.
> You can edit in ardour under (in german): Bearbeiten->Globale

after you wrote me, that at your system, ardour5 works fine, i have
played around a little with different settings. First i corrected the
ui_config-files at /.config and at /etc/ to colour-file value="dark" -
with no effect. It wont start with the following message:

gregor@linux-gxd8:~> ardour5
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l',
and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (kompiliert mit Version 5.12 und GCC Version4.8.5)
ardour: [INFO]: Ihre Systemkonfiguration beschränkt Ardour auf nur 4096
offene Dateien
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Systemkonfigurationsdatei
/etc/ardour5/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration
/home/gregor/.config/ardour5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7Y54 CPU @ 1.20GHz
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
/etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
/home/gregor/.config/ardour5/ui_config
Farbe shuttle bg nicht gefunden
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Farbdatei /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
ardour.colors

which is quite the same, i had.

Secondly, i thought, i´d try to start ardour5 as root - and that works
!!!

So it seams it has to do with permissions. But i really don`t have any
idea, where to look for the next step.

Do you have any suggestions

Am Sonntag, 7. Januar 2018, 23:02:32 CET schrieb gregor willms:

> > You have two places for config.
> > One systemwide is under /etc.
> > The other is under ~/.config/ardour5
> >
> > But i can not see any line in it with colour: light-ardour
> > The only thing is: <Option name="color-file" value="dark"/>
> >
> > So. And this runs here without Problems.
> > You can edit in ardour under (in german): Bearbeiten->Globale
> > Einstellungen-
> >
> > > Erscheinungsbild->Farben.
> >
> > I hope i can help you
> >
> > Regards
> >
> >  Eric
>
> after you wrote me, that at your system, ardour5 works fine, i have
> played around a little with different settings. First i corrected the
> ui_config-files at /.config and at /etc/ to colour-file value="dark" -
> with no effect. It wont start with the following message:
>
> gregor@linux-gxd8:~> ardour5
> WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
>          This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
> system runs
>          out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l',
> and it
>          is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
> Ardour5.12.0 (kompiliert mit Version 5.12 und GCC Version4.8.5)
> ardour: [INFO]: Ihre Systemkonfiguration beschränkt Ardour auf nur 4096
> offene Dateien
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade Systemkonfigurationsdatei
> /etc/ardour5/system_config
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration
> /home/gregor/.config/ardour5/config
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
> ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7Y54 CPU @ 1.20GHz
> ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
> ardour: [INFO]: lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
> /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
> /home/gregor/.config/ardour5/ui_config
> Farbe shuttle bg nicht gefunden
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade Farbdatei /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> ardour.colors
>
> which is quite the same, i had.
>
> Secondly, i thought, i´d try to start ardour5 as root - and that works
> !!!
>
> So it seams it has to do with permissions. But i really don`t have any
> idea, where to look for the next step.

Yes i think so too.
But i run it with normal user in cray.

> Do you have any suggestions

Do you have:  /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-ardour.colors ?
Can you change the theme/color inside ardour itself?

When nothing do.
Perhaps you could uninstall ardour.
Clear you ~/.config/ardour5
And then install new.

--

Gruß
 eRiC

Am Montag, den 08.01.2018, 20:05 +0100 schrieb Eric Schirra:

> Am Sonntag, 7. Januar 2018, 23:02:32 CET schrieb gregor willms:
> >

> > > You have two places for config.
> > > One systemwide is under /etc.
> > > The other is under ~/.config/ardour5
> > >
> > > But i can not see any line in it with colour: light-ardour
> > > The only thing is: <Option name="color-file" value="dark"/>
> > >
> > > So. And this runs here without Problems.
> > > You can edit in ardour under (in german): Bearbeiten->Globale
> > > Einstellungen-

> > > I hope i can help you
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > >  Eric
> >
> > after you wrote me, that at your system, ardour5 works fine, i have
> > played around a little with different settings. First i corrected
> > the
> > ui_config-files at /.config and at /etc/ to colour-file
> > value="dark" -
> > with no effect. It wont start with the following message:
> >
> > gregor@linux-gxd8:~> ardour5
> > WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked
> > memory!
> >          This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
> > system runs
> >          out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit
> > -l',
> > and it
> >          is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
> >
> > bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
> > Ardour5.12.0 (kompiliert mit Version 5.12 und GCC Version4.8.5)
> > ardour: [INFO]: Ihre Systemkonfiguration beschränkt Ardour auf nur
> > 4096
> > offene Dateien
> > ardour: [INFO]: Lade Systemkonfigurationsdatei
> > /etc/ardour5/system_config
> > ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration
> > /home/gregor/.config/ardour5/config
> > ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
> > ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
> > ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7Y54 CPU @ 1.20GHz
> > ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
> > ardour: [INFO]: lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
> > /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
> > ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
> > /home/gregor/.config/ardour5/ui_config
> > Farbe shuttle bg nicht gefunden
> > ardour: [INFO]: Lade Farbdatei /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> > ardour.colors
> >
> > which is quite the same, i had.
> >
> > Secondly, i thought, i´d try to start ardour5 as root - and that
> > works
> > !!!
> >
> > So it seams it has to do with permissions. But i really don`t have
> > any
> > idea, where to look for the next step.
>
> Yes i think so too.
> But i run it with normal user in cray.
>

> > Do you have any suggestions
>
> Do you have:  /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-ardour.colors ?

yes, this file is there at the mentioned location

> Can you change the theme/color inside ardour itself?

with the setting "colour-file value="dark", ardour won`t start at all
with the setting colour-file  value="light", ardour start, but i cannot
change either theme nor colour; when i try to change the settings in
ardour, i freezes until i kill the process.

> When nothing do.

befor i uninstall, perhaps it is worth to compare the output from the
terminal when i start ardour as user and as root

the output as user is

gregor@linux-gxd8:~> ardour5
[...]

the output logged in as root says

linux-gxd8:~ # ardour5
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your
system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l',
and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /usr/share/ardour5/locale
Ardour5.12.0 (built using 5.12 and GCC version 4.8.5)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096
open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file
/etc/ardour5/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file
/root/.config/ardour5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7Y54 CPU @ 1.20GHz
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file
/etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file
/root/.config/ardour5/ui_config
Color shuttle bg not found
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
ardour.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
/etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
/etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along
/root/.config/ardour5/templates:/usr/share/ardour5/templates
run dialog

am i right, that ardour is not able to take the clearlooks.rc, when i
try to start as user?

Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2018, 00:02:43 CET schrieb gregor willms:

> [...]
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
> ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7Y54 CPU @ 1.20GHz
> ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/default_ui_config
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file
> /root/.config/ardour5/ui_config
> Color shuttle bg not found
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> ardour.colors
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
> Found nothing along
> /root/.config/ardour5/templates:/usr/share/ardour5/templates
> run dialog
>
> am i right, that ardour is not able to take the clearlooks.rc, when i

This is what comes here:

ardour: [INFO]: Ihre Systemkonfiguration beschränkt Ardour auf nur 4096 offene
Dateien
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Systemkonfigurationsdatei /etc/ardour5/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration /home/[foo]/.config/ardour5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: [foo]
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: [foo]
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei /etc/ardour5/
default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei /home/
[foo]/.config/ardour5/ui_config
Farbe shuttle bg nicht gefunden
ardour: [INFO]: Lade Farbdatei /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-ardour.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/[foo]/.config/ardour5/templates:/usr/share/ardour5/
templates
run dialog

Looks like yours?

You can also rename ~/config/.ardour5  to  ~/config/.ardour5.bak
And then start ardour.

Question again.
Can you change the theme in ardour itself?

--

Gruß
 eRiC

Re: ardour5 with dark-colour-theme wont start (solved)

gregor willms
Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2018, 17:01 +0100 schrieb Eric Schirra:

> [...]
> /etc/ardour5/system_config
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration
> /home/[foo]/.config/ardour5/config
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: [foo]
> ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: [foo]
> ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
> ardour: [INFO]: lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei
> /etc/ardour5/
> default_ui_config
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei /home/
> [foo]/.config/ardour5/ui_config
> Farbe shuttle bg nicht gefunden
> ardour: [INFO]: Lade Farbdatei /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-
> ardour.colors
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
> ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file
> /etc/ardour5/clearlooks.rc
> Found nothing along
> /home/[foo]/.config/ardour5/templates:/usr/share/ardour5/

yes, looks like mine, when i start ardour as root

> You can also rename ~/config/.ardour5  to  ~/config/.ardour5.bak
> And then start ardour.

i did delet the .ardour5-file. After restarting ardour, a new .ardour5
will show up; but

> Question again.
> Can you change the theme in ardour itself?

things have cleared up. At last, i tried the same gnome-gui-settings in
the user-desktop like in the root-desktop. And now, it works!!!!
As user, i have installed the Gnome-OSX-II-2-5-1-theme. All
applications work well with it and it looks very nice; except ardour5.
So i did not think, that this could be a problem.

I have now found out, that with the Gnome-OSX-II-2-6-theme ardour5
works, even with the Gnome-OSX-V-traditionel-theme.

So, with this, everything is fine, i can start recording.

> --
>
> Gruß
>  eRiC

thank you very much for help