[announce] openSUSE 13.2 release

Dinar Valeev-2
Hi,

13.2 for Power got released! Yay!

With this release we have:
* mini isos for network install
* Full DVD for offline installation
* I also built OpenStack images[1] for you :)

PowerPC specific changes are:
* 64-bit only Big and Little endinan modes (ppc64 and ppc64le)
* switch to grub2 as bootloader
* KVM support as host and guest
* LE mode fully enabled

The rest changes are pretty much the same as in 13.2 x86 release.

What next? Enable PowerPC tests in openqa.opensuse.org
I don't have much time for 32bit builds. If you're interested,
contributions are welcome.

ISOs are available at usual locations [2], ftp repo got published[3] as well.

Thanks for your contribution.

[1] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/k0da:/ppc:/cloud/images/
[2] http://download.opensuse.org/ports/ppc/distribution/13.2/iso/
[3] http://download.opensuse.org/ports/ppc/distribution/13.2/repo/oss/

Have fun,
Dinar

Re: [announce] openSUSE 13.2 release

Larry Finger
On 11/17/2014 08:17 AM, Dinar Valeev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 13.2 for Power got released! Yay!
>
> With this release we have:
> * mini isos for network install
> * Full DVD for offline installation
> * I also built OpenStack images[1] for you :)
>
> PowerPC specific changes are:
> * 64-bit only Big and Little endinan modes (ppc64 and ppc64le)
> * switch to grub2 as bootloader
> * KVM support as host and guest
> * LE mode fully enabled
>
> The rest changes are pretty much the same as in 13.2 x86 release.
>
> What next? Enable PowerPC tests in openqa.opensuse.org
> I don't have much time for 32bit builds. If you're interested,
> contributions are welcome.
>
> ISOs are available at usual locations [2], ftp repo got published[3] as well.
>
> Thanks for your contribution.
>
> [1] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/k0da:/ppc:/cloud/images/
> [2] http://download.opensuse.org/ports/ppc/distribution/13.2/iso/
> [3] http://download.opensuse.org/ports/ppc/distribution/13.2/repo/oss/

I am very interested in 32-bit openSUSE for my PowerBook G4 (BE). I am currently
running Mint on it, and I would prefer to have a distro that could build and
install a new kernel using methods that are a lot simpler than are required for
a Debian-based system.

What would be required for me to work on the 32-bit port?

Thanks,

Larry