amd ryzen low load hard freeze kernel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

amd ryzen low load hard freeze kernel

Simon Becherer
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi,

since nearly 6 month now i have trouble with
my unstable ryzen systems.

randmom crashes after a couple of hours (<8), (nearly) no load, most times only hard reset
is possible to start system new.
most times nothing special in system-log
(as i know, maybe somebody who know more could see suspected things.)

after searching the net:

because i am not really familiar with kernel-boot parameter settings,
and i have read its necessary to build own kernel (on lists of other distributions)

i like to ask:

how to fix (work around) or if maybe included in
the tumbleweed-kernel the "low load freeze of ryzen"
here: ryzen (1700) 8 core processor systems with tumbleweed.
i read several links found by google:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/1690085/comments/69
https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?315887-Random-Crashing

they suggest to include rcu_nocbs=0-15
is /etc/defaults/grub file
correct?
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="video=1920x1200 splash=silent quiet showopts"
change to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="video=1920x1200 splash=silent quiet showopts rcu_nocbs=0-15 "
??
and run:
grub2-mkconfig?

is this correct will this work? or is there a better/other solution for tumbleweed?

(at the moment here not the newest version of tumbleweed):
how to check the tumbleweed version?
uname -a
Linux becherer1 4.14.2-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 24 08:20:07 UTC 2017 (b0610fc) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

============
by the way, as suggested by this mailing-list i have replaced the amd ryzen prozessors because of the
segfault problem (i found this problem for my systemsy after the hint on this list).
tumbleweed is now running fine with HIGH load (kill-ryzen.sh) script (more than 48 hours)

and for others who read inside internet "amd ryzen production date "after week 25 (sometimes is written week30) is fine"
THIS is NOT TRUE. at least this type:
ryzen 1700 UA 1733PGS
has this bug, (2017 week 33)  (i have had after a first replacement 4 of this processors all have
had this bug) see also here:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ryzen-pre-week-25-fabrication-rma-issue/118658/98
==============================

would be happy to get an info how to fix the low load problem to get stable tumbleweed-ryzen-system's.

thanks in advance,

simoN




-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
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=aB7T
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd ryzen low load hard freeze kernel

Liam Proven
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:09:44 +0100
Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> since nearly 6 month now i have trouble with
> my unstable ryzen systems.
>
> randmom crashes after a couple of hours (<8), (nearly) no load, most times only hard reset
> is possible to start system new.
> most times nothing special in system-log
> (as i know, maybe somebody who know more could see suspected things.)

A few questions.

* Have you checked if your system firmware is current? If not, update it.

* Do you have any other OSes on the machine?

* Are you able to verify if this is a SUSE issue?

E.g. by trying some other distro and seeing if it exhibits the same behaviour?

Since it does it under _low_ load, then merely running a live CD might even be enough -- or running memtextx86+ overnight.

* Do you have a Windows partition? Does Windows do the same thing?

It is possible to download an ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft free of charge, and it will run unactivated. There is also a 90-day fully-functional evaluation version.

Either would do for testing.

Either might also assist with updating motherboard firmware.

--
Liam Proven - Technical Writer, SUSE Linux s.r.o.
Corso II, Křižíkova 148/34, 186-00 Praha 8 - Karlín, Czechia
Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd ryzen low load hard freeze kernel

Simon Becherer
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi liam,


> * Have you checked if your system firmware is current? If not, update it.
oops, at 23.01.2018 they provide a update. sorry,
i will install and check if anything is solved.

> * Do you have any other OSes on the machine?
no

> * Are you able to verify if this is a SUSE issue?
i not, but
google says ;-)) a lot distributions are affected (see the links i provided)
they have this issue with no suse linux systems.

- -> my question was, if the suse-tumbleweed kernel is compiled to use
a solution provided there.


> * Do you have a Windows partition? Does Windows do the same thing?
no, no windows partition,
google says, windows will never has a low load as linux, and therefore
it will be not (is not) affected.

first i will test the BIOS update, sorry my fault, i check in beginning of
january.


i will write here if this fixes the issue.


simoN



Am 30.01.2018 um 18:52 schrieb Liam Proven:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:09:44 +0100 Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> since nearly 6 month now i have trouble with my unstable ryzen systems.
>>
>> randmom crashes after a couple of hours (<8), (nearly) no load, most times only hard reset is possible to start system new. most times nothing special in system-log (as i know, maybe somebody who know more
>> could see suspected things.)
>
> A few questions.
>
> * Have you checked if your system firmware is current? If not, update it.
>
> * Do you have any other OSes on the machine?
>
> * Are you able to verify if this is a SUSE issue?
>
> E.g. by trying some other distro and seeing if it exhibits the same behaviour?
>
> Since it does it under _low_ load, then merely running a live CD might even be enough -- or running memtextx86+ overnight.
>
> * Do you have a Windows partition? Does Windows do the same thing?
>
> It is possible to download an ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft free of charge, and it will run unactivated. There is also a 90-day fully-functional evaluation version.
>
> Either would do for testing.
>
> Either might also assist with updating motherboard firmware.
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
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=C9Jb
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: amd ryzen low load hard freeze kernel

Liam Proven
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:00:11 +0100
Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi liam,
>
>
> > * Have you checked if your system firmware is current? If not, update it.
> oops, at 23.01.2018 they provide a update. sorry,
> i will install and check if anything is solved.

I hope it helps!

> > * Are you able to verify if this is a SUSE issue?
> i not, but
> google says ;-)) a lot distributions are affected (see the links i provided)
> they have this issue with no suse linux systems.

I think I follow you. In other words, it's a Linux-only issue, but cross-distro?

> > * Do you have a Windows partition? Does Windows do the same thing?
> no, no windows partition,
> google says, windows will never has a low load as linux, and therefore
> it will be not (is not) affected.

*LOL* Well, I can believe that. ;-)

> first i will test the BIOS update, sorry my fault, i check in beginning of
> january.
>
> i will write here if this fixes the issue.

That's OK. Good luck.

--
Liam Proven - Technical Writer, SUSE Linux s.r.o.
Corso II, Křižíkova 148/34, 186-00 Praha 8 - Karlín, Czechia
Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]