alternative to kiwi

Peter Czanik
Hello,
KIWI is not (yet) ported to PPC. Is there any other tool I could use to
create an alternative install CD? Or just an alternative repository?
Instead of the DVD, just a one CD, like for KDE or Gnome on x86. Of
course, I would rather see KIWI ported to PPC for openSUSE 11.0, but for
now I'm interested in any working solutions :)
Bye,
CzP

Re: alternative to kiwi

David Bolt-2
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Peter Czanik wrote:-

>Hello,
>KIWI is not (yet) ported to PPC. Is there any other tool I could use to
>create an alternative install CD?

There's makeSUSEdvd which now creates bootable PPC disc images.

>Or just an alternative repository?

I use create_package_descr to build my local repository. It's also used
by makeSUSEdvd to update the contents just in case new packages are
added to the new CD/DVD, or packages are deleted from it.

>Instead of the DVD, just a one CD, like for KDE or Gnome on x86.

That's something I've been thinking about. Should be possible to strip
the package list from the x86 version, replace them with the equivalent
PPC packages and then create a bootable CD.

>Of
>course, I would rather see KIWI ported to PPC for openSUSE 11.0, but for
>now I'm interested in any working solutions :)

I've just uploaded the latest makeSUSEdvd to sourceforge.net, and I
didn't even need wait until I got a round tuit[0].

[0] Okay, I already have one[1]. I just have to print one out.

[1] <URL:http://www.davjam.org/~davjam/images/a_round_tuit.png>

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ 100Mnodes RC5-72 @ 15Mkeys
SUSE 10.0 32bit  | SUSE 10.1 32bit  | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit

Re: alternative to kiwi

Jiri Suchomel
On po 15. října 2007, Peter Czanik wrote:
> Hello,
> KIWI is not (yet) ported to PPC. Is there any other tool I could use to
> create an alternative install CD? Or just an alternative repository?
> Instead of the DVD, just a one CD, like for KDE or Gnome on x86. Of
> course, I would rather see KIWI ported to PPC for openSUSE 11.0, but for
> now I'm interested in any working solutions :)
> Bye,
> CzP

If you want to create customized installation medias, try yast2-cd-creator (=
yast2-product-creator since openSUSE10.3) module. It should be functional
also for PPC.

In YaST menu, see Misc -> Product Creator. Select the sources of your packages
(your installation DVD, update source, whatever), than select the set of
required packages/patterns. After your configuration is ready, use "Create
Image" from the summary dialog.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                            e-mail: [hidden email]
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 960
190 00 Praha 9, Czech Republic                http://www.suse.cz

Re: alternative to kiwi

Peter Czanik
Hello,

Jiří Suchomel wrote:
> If you want to create customized installation medias, try yast2-cd-creator (=
> yast2-product-creator since openSUSE10.3) module. It should be functional
> also for PPC.
>
> In YaST menu, see Misc -> Product Creator. Select the sources of your packages
> (your installation DVD, update source, whatever), than select the set of
> required packages/patterns. After your configuration is ready, use "Create
> Image" from the summary dialog.

Well, lets say, that it has some rough edges :-) I'm writing from memory
(my PPC machine does something else at the moment):

- no warning, that the project name should not contain a space: if it
contains, then no ISO image is created...
- the first page is boot config with 'isolinux.cfg' written on top.
There is no isolinux on PPC
- /boot/i386 and /boot/x86_64 has no use on PPC and occupy a lot of space
- /inst32/ is necessary to boot PPC, but the content is missing from the
created ISO file.
- no language packages are selected automagically
- when installing from the resulting ISO file, the installer offers all
packages, not just those available on the CD

Bye,
CzP

Re: alternative to kiwi

Peter Czanik
Hello,

Peter Czanik wrote:
> - /inst32/ is necessary to boot PPC, but the content is missing from the
Of course /inst32/ wanted to be /suseboot/ , as inst32 is one of the
files in the directory :)

Bye,
CzP

Re: alternative to kiwi

Jiri Suchomel
On st 17. října 2007, Peter Czanik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Jiří Suchomel wrote:
> > If you want to create customized installation medias, try
> > yast2-cd-creator (= yast2-product-creator since openSUSE10.3) module. It
> > should be functional also for PPC.
> >
> > In YaST menu, see Misc -> Product Creator. Select the sources of your
> > packages (your installation DVD, update source, whatever), than select
> > the set of required packages/patterns. After your configuration is ready,
> > use "Create Image" from the summary dialog.
>
> Well, lets say, that it has some rough edges :-)

That's possible. I was not even sure if the PPC support is done. Could you
please open a bugreport(s) for the issue(s)?

Thanks,
Jiri

Jiří Suchomel wrote:
>> Well, lets say, that it has some rough edges :-)
>>

> That's possible. I was not even sure if the PPC support is done. Could you
> please open a bugreport(s) for the issue(s)?

OK. What do you prefer? One bug report with all of the problem copied
from this e-mail, or 6 separate one liners?
Bye,
CzP

Re: alternative to kiwi

Ladislav Slezak
Peter Czanik napsal(a):

> Hello,
>
> Jiří Suchomel wrote:
>>> Well, lets say, that it has some rough edges :-)
>>>
>> That's possible. I was not even sure if the PPC support is done. Could you
>> please open a bugreport(s) for the issue(s)?
>>
> OK. What do you prefer? One bug report with all of the problem copied
> from this e-mail, or 6 separate one liners?

Well, separate reports are usually better to track, in the worst case I'll close
them (except one) as duplicates.

Which sources did you use for creating the ISO? Did you run the module on a PPC
machine? (I suppose yes.) You can answer in the bug reports instead to the list...

        Thank you

                Ladislav

--

Best Regards